Summer holidays...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer holidays...

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm

William the White wrote:The lowdown...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1R ... le+martyrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobo would once have been sympathetic to the cause of the Tolpuddle martyrs.

but he grew up and grumpy.

Not a good career move for a clown.

there is also an annual festival that an number of my mates have been to, and more than once...

http://www.tolpuddlemartyrs.org.uk/inde ... s-festival" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hearing the words 'Tolpuddle martyrs' together does ring a bell vaguely from history lessons back at secondary school. Was just the word 'Tolpuddle' on its own. :oops:

Ah well, i'm a PE teacher, we are supposed to be ignorant apparently :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:04 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
err... apparently you are not allowed to say the word "rabbit" on Portland....
why? :conf:

Chesil beach is very near where we are staying. Would like to get a decent pic of it like yours.

Wonder if Mike would notice if i bought a swan home to join the rest of the waterfowl?

nobody knows - the reason is lost in the mists of time... but it is quite a serious superstition. quarry workers used to down tools and fishermen refused to set sail if that word was mentioned...

it survives to this day...
Posters for his new animated feature film Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit have been banned from the Isle of Portland, Dorset, because of a local superstition.

For more than 100 years the word “rabbit” has been considered taboo and locals refer instead to “underground mutton” or just “furry things”.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:05 am

Inbred morons

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:10 am

also... the twins might enjoy the Monkey World Ape Rescue centre... that's close enough

http://www.monkeyworld.org/

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 am

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:err... apparently you are not allowed to say the word "rabbit" on Portland....
Chesil beach is very near where we are staying. Would like to get a decent pic of it like yours.

Wonder if Mike would notice if i bought a swan home to join the rest of the waterfowl?
nobody knows - the reason is lost in the mists of time... but it is quite a serious superstition. quarry workers used to down tools and fishermen refused to set sail if that word was mentioned...

Posters for his new animated feature film Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit have been banned from the Isle of Portland, Dorset, because of a local superstition.

For more than 100 years the word “rabbit” has been considered taboo and locals refer instead to “underground mutton” or just “furry things”.
The local Ann Summers struggles too.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 am

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:err... apparently you are not allowed to say the word "rabbit" on Portland....

The local Ann Summers struggles too.
:D

Monkey world looks good Bish, cheers. May well check that out.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:58 pm

We went away with 6 lots of our friends and their kids, 18 of us in total.

Rented a big villa in the hills above Calpe with panoramic views of the Ifach. Don't rate Calpe much but villa was spot on!

Not a proper holiday tho - having to cook and clean up for ourselves, fook that.

Our little'un is 18 months now, she had to be in the pool every second she was awake, so that meant I did too!

Plus every night was a late one, and mornings were early!. Don't feel rested one bit. Good tho.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:We went away with 6 lots of our friends and their kids, 18 of us in total.

Rented a big villa in the hills above Calpe with panoramic views of the Ifach. Don't rate Calpe much but villa was spot on!

Not a proper holiday tho - having to cook and clean up for ourselves, fook that.

Our little'un is 18 months now, she had to be in the pool every second she was awake, so that meant I did too!

Plus every night was a late one, and mornings were early!. Don't feel rested one bit. Good tho.
Yeah, have come to the conclusion that holidays with babies aren't exactly restful, if anything they are MORE stressful then being at home. New place means kids unsettled, out of routine, not got half the stuff you need to hand etc etc

Still, here now and its supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Might hit the beach!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote: Yeah, have come to the conclusion that holidays with babies aren't exactly restful, if anything they are MORE stressful then being at home. New place means kids unsettled, out of routine, not got half the stuff you need to hand etc etc

surely holidays are for getting AWAY from the internet???

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote: Yeah, have come to the conclusion that holidays with babies aren't exactly restful, if anything they are MORE stressful then being at home. New place means kids unsettled, out of routine, not got half the stuff you need to hand etc etc

Might be for you but browsing the web is my enjoyable leisure time after chasing around after 2 babies. Not big into telly, unlike some ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:

Might be for you but browsing the web is my enjoyable leisure time after chasing around after 2 babies. Not big into telly, unlike some ;)
but... you do that at home!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:

Indeed, and as mentioned above, being on holiday is not that disimilar to being at home in that the twins still need changing, feeding, entertaining etc - and its hardly like Mike and i can go out for a meal or off out to the pub. I have some good books too :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:

Indeed, and as mentioned above, being on holiday is not that disimilar to being at home in that the twins still need changing, feeding, entertaining etc - and its hardly like Mike and i can go out for a meal or off out to the pub. I have some good books too :)
i'd save your money and stay at home then!!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
i'd save your money and stay at home then!!
You may have a point but then i wouldn't be able to go to Monkey world or Tolpuddle ;)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Well having a nice time so far, weather was nice yesterday so we went to the beach, today whilst the rest of the uk enjoyed a heatwave, it's been miserable here so despite putting on my best sun dress and doing a weather dance it's still cloudy with showers in Dorset. Dragged hubby and the twins round the shops in Weymouth, bought a pair of hotpants and beach ball (in anticipation of the weather changing) and had a hot chocolate (cos it still hadn't :-( ) typical British summer holiday I guess! :)

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:whilst the rest of the uk enjoyed a heatwave
Oh really? It's 13C and raining here.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:whilst the rest of the uk enjoyed a heatwave
Oh really? It's 13C and raining here.
Ahh yes but its always rainy in Scotland isn't it?! Shoulda said rest of England! ;)

All i know is back home in Sussex my friends are enjoying the sun!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:Corsica in August
B-Hell, how much dosh have you got ??

The best place I've ever been, simply fantastic.

Not as much as my wife thinks we have!
Never been before so realy looking forward to it. Flown over/around it a couple of times en route to Sardinia, which is realy nice also. Hired a 'villa'; though it looks more like a shepard's shack from the outside. It'd better be good 'cos as you pointed out, the cost of it would probably save Greece from bankcruptcy.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:59 am

Il Pirate wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:Corsica in August
B-Hell, how much dosh have you got ??

The best place I've ever been, simply fantastic.

Not as much as my wife thinks we have!
Never been before so realy looking forward to it. Flown over/around it a couple of times en route to Sardinia, which is realy nice also. Hired a 'villa'; though it looks more like a shepard's shack from the outside. It'd better be good 'cos as you pointed out, the cost of it would probably save Greece from bankcruptcy.
Sounds lovely, post some pics when you get back! Have you worked out how yet?! ;)

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 am

Taking the mrs and the baby away in September - nowhere flash just a week in Scotland or the Lakes or somewhere similar through the Holiday Property Bond scheme. There's one potential called Bell End Farm, which ticks a lot of boxes :lol: