The abomination that is Windows 8

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The abomination that is Windows 8

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I hate it. Absolutely fecking hate it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Me friend says you can get the start button back somehow....

I am even thinking of buying a Laptop from a HockShop, Just to get one with Windows 7.

I will call around shops tomorrow in the hope there is still one new one out there with Windows 7!!!
But I doubt it.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Me newie had a good run, over 300 DVD-Rs made, 150 mixed CDs for the Car, 10+ Youtube Vids made, 10 hours of Wrestling Fan Commentarys (Now mostly gone), many Radio intros made.

I will still try to rip out the HD and get some files off it, like My Son singing his Song "Rock Metal."

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 am

What type of computer threw in the towel, 2399? If you've been burning DVDs and such I'm guessing it's a desktop unit. What happened to it? If it's the motherboard or any type of drive they are easily and cheaply replaced. If it's the operating system that's been 'scrambled' then why not reinstall it? You've misplaced the registration number? ;) What a shame. You didn't keep a back up? Your fault - it's an essential routine (as I found once to my chagrin). Which reminds me, I'm overdue for my latest.

From my reading - as I've never seen, never mind used it - Windows 8 is a diabolical system which Microsoft produced in a sort of 'one size fits all' package, with tweaks for adapting it to various platforms (desktop, mobile . . . ). In all the reviews I have read the cons overwhelmed the pros. Some of the critics even went so far as stating that it was so bad that if the next version wasn't superb then Microsoft's reputation, such as it is, would be in tatters. How any company could bring out XP and then follow it with Vista and then 7 and then 8 is beyond me. Good/Bad/Good/Bad is not clever.

Windows 10 (No.9 seems to have got lost) is being touted, even by the critics, as Microsoft's salvation. I have a cyber friend in Canada who has just set up an Internet server and NAS system and who took the plunge and obtained, legitimately, a testing copy. Previously he was using Win7. While he's had the odd problem with one of his programmes he is very happy with the results so far. Given that this is not a distribution edition it certainly bodes well for the future.

2399, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a new or even used original Win7 around the traps. Good luck with the resurrection. :)

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks, with the newie I can't even System Recover!

Your post makes me scared about Win8!!! I was just getting used to the fact I was getting it now I am scared!

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Dujon wrote:
2399, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a new or even used original Win7 around the traps. Good luck with the resurrection. :)
Thank you.....Because I have found a Display Model @ JB!!! I didn't have enough for it last night so I am getting it this Morning!

Windows 7 for the ultimate win!!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 pm

I've got used to 8. I don't see what the point of jigging it all same in the first place was. But it's fine.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.