Commerce over Community

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:30 pm

I really hope everyone can get down to the D&P. It's not just a pub, it's a real community (with a really good pint poured too).

With Bolton turning into one long horrible vomit tasting burp, the D&P somehow manages to kick against it, and although many think it futile trying to fight the developers, it would be nice if some Boltonians took off their coats of apathy and let the D&P go out kicking and screaming... and you'll get pissed along the way. It;s not like you have to chain yourself to a fence or something!

I implore you all to get down there at some point... and if you like live music (or a cracking jukebox) you're onto a winner.
Viva La Portable Radio!

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 pm

shocked as you may be, being 19 i actually prefer places like the D&P, Man and Scythe etc. etc.

Rather have proper places like that than have wine lodges, trendy youngster chain bars and the like.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:48 pm

[quote="runningonbravado" wine lodges, trendy youngster chain bars and the like.[/quote]

These soulless places and the pretentious, nouveau riche middle-class attitude that comes with it mean that tradition is just fading.

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:37 pm

communistworkethic wrote:the difference is TD, that Manchester is more or a metropolis than Bolton. There are 10's of thousands of jobs in and around the city and the development since the bombing of the arndale does lend itself to a city living lifestyle. Flats in Bolton don't have quite the same attractions, even if they are next to an all you can eat chinese buffet restaurant.
I live in Marsden House, the first of many town centre developements for living. The word 'appartment' alone adds 10k onto the price, Although i cant tell the difference between appartment/flat. The Mill that was on fire (sly trick by developers if you ask me) and the Church in front are to be appartments. Car park behind marsden house is to be appartments, new building behind gregory & porritts either appartments or offices. And as part of boltons masterplan everything in the middle (car parks and royal mail) will be developed over the next 10 years.

I am on side to keep the D&P open, i walked down to get a taxi one night, and the music i heard from Prestons jewellers to taxi rank was 'rank to say the least. As i stood outside the taxi rank i was drawn by music (not neccessarily good or bad just music, unlike the techno bump bump pop in cayote or whatever) I was an instant fan, and ive been in the D&P quite a few times since then.

Live Music still exsists but only if we view it. Someone advertised for their own band playing in the D&P on Thursday, i'll see you guys there.
Stay up

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:39 pm

mofgimmers wrote:I really hope everyone can get down to the D&P. It's not just a pub, it's a real community (with a really good pint poured too).

With Bolton turning into one long horrible vomit tasting burp, the D&P somehow manages to kick against it, and although many think it futile trying to fight the developers, it would be nice if some Boltonians took off their coats of apathy and let the D&P go out kicking and screaming... and you'll get pissed along the way. It;s not like you have to chain yourself to a fence or something!

I implore you all to get down there at some point... and if you like live music (or a cracking jukebox) you're onto a winner.
You forgot Sokaball, not many pubs in bolton town centre can say they have table football. Which is also a dying art form
Stay up