Your worst nightmare.............

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:15 pm

americantrotter wrote:Argentina was out, and they played Germany. South Korea (who they drew) emilinated Italy. You'll never be satisfied until they win the thing will you? I mean by your standards England has sucked for 40 years.
Not as badly as the USA though. And we don't get to play Ecuador, Venzuela, Belize & the likes regularly. :wink:

Didn't the Japanese beat the USA at baseball recently too?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:21 pm

all this banter!!!!!!

How did the americans go on in the last Olympic basketball games by the way?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm

We dont play South American teams either. We get stalwarts Trinidad and Tobago and the like. :wink:

Yes the Japanese won the tournament, but we beat them, (I think Korea eliminated us) No one had their best players and it was before anyone was actually fit. Still funny though. I like it better when we get beat in Basketball. :oops:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:23 pm

The US like England in the 50's with football hasnt adjusted to the world's dedication to fundamentals and team building.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:34 pm

americantrotter wrote:Argentina was out, and they played Germany. South Korea (who they drew) emilinated Italy. You'll never be satisfied until they win the thing will you? I mean by your standards England has sucked for 40 years.
I'll be able to say America has arrived in World Football when they manage to match themselves against the best in the world rather than Europe's also rans. Heck they even lost to England's B Team in a friendly a while back. You could argue that the teams the US played in that tournament didn't habour realistic ambitions of winning the world cup (with exception to Germany). Hopefully this year will give them the chance to face a level of opposition that will show how good the US is.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Mar wrote:
I'll be able to say America has arrived in World Football when they manage to match themselves against the best in the world rather than Europe's also rans. Heck they even lost to England's B Team in a friendly a while back. You could argue that the teams the US played in that tournament didn't habour realistic ambitions of winning the world cup (with exception to Germany). Hopefully this year will give them the chance to face a level of opposition that will show how good the US is.
but have they played decent enough oppo in serious competition to be able to back up this argument? I know what youre saying, but I think thy will struggle to get out of the group

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:45 pm

boltonboris wrote: but have they played decent enough oppo in serious competition to be able to back up this argument? I know what youre saying, but I think thy will struggle to get out of the group
I wouldn't say that the US team has played decent enough opposition in a serious competition to warrant recognition as one of the top 5 national teams in the World (silly FIFA).

There's been a lot made about the new look US national side and how successful they were in the last world cup. But to me that was down to a great team spirit and being fortunate enough to not come up against some of the toughest sides the World Cup had to offer.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Mar wrote:
boltonboris wrote: but have they played decent enough oppo in serious competition to be able to back up this argument? I know what youre saying, but I think thy will struggle to get out of the group
I wouldn't say that the US team has played decent enough opposition in a serious competition to warrant recognition as one of the top 5 national teams in the World (silly FIFA).

There's been a lot made about the new look US national side and how successful they were in the last world cup. But to me that was down to a great team spirit and being fortunate enough to not come up against some of the toughest sides the World Cup had to offer.
which they cant get away from this time round

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:53 pm

If I remember correctly England lost 3-2 to portugal in 2000 where as teh US beat them 3-2 in 2002.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:05 pm

americantrotter wrote:If I remember correctly England lost 3-2 to portugal in 2000 where as teh US beat them 3-2 in 2002.
Sol Campbell's disallowed winner on 90 mins suggests that the England game isn't a fair representation of the outcome of that game. Whereas the England B win over the US side doesn't hold any questionnable moments.

picaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by picaro » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:26 pm

americantrotter wrote:If I remember correctly England lost 3-2 to portugal in 2000 where as teh US beat them 3-2 in 2002.
comparisons like this are only worthwhile in the NFL...in football they mean nothing. the equivalent would be me saying that Mexico can beat anyone in the world since we have only lost to Brazil once in the last 7 years (damn Adriano!) which includes numerous tournaments. but do i believe that Mexico could have the same prowess against England, Germany etc...for f&%$ sake NO! i wish this was the case.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:48 pm

Mar wrote:
Sol Campbell's disallowed winner on 90 mins suggests that the England game isn't a fair representation of the outcome of that game. Whereas the England B win over the US side doesn't hold any questionnable moments.
Umm... Australia says hello. (some friendlies are just meaningless)

Picaro is right, results are hard to compare across time. However the US is not the pushover that a lot of people want to think.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:40 pm

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... 04&cc=5901

An excellent article showing what American players deal with and why CONCACAF is not always as easy as it looks on paper.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:59 pm

americantrotter wrote:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... 04&cc=5901

An excellent article showing what American players deal with and why CONCACAF is not always as easy as it looks on paper.
yeah that only hapens in North America, anyone who went to Marseille care to tell AT what that was like with regard abuse, missile etc in the ground? Even the Channel 5 nobbers do the first hald analysis were pelted!

What that article talks about is not new or unusual.

Concaf maybe difficult to qualify from but I bet the Oceania group says the same, I bet New Zealand have some right tussles with Samoa or Fiji.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:05 am

ummm sure. Bolton gets to feel the heat of being the lone superpower. I know it's not easy for any country on the road, but you'll have a long way to go to convince me America doesnt have it tough because Marseille is a difficult place for a CLUB team to play.

If the team were pelted with missles then Marseille would have been sanctioned.

Your refusal to give any ground to teh US almost proves my point. The world hates us (often with good reason) and from a political and sporting point of view you obviously have no respect for the United States.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:47 am

americantrotter wrote:ummm sure. Bolton gets to feel the heat of being the lone superpower. I know it's not easy for any country on the road, but you'll have a long way to go to convince me America doesnt have it tough because Marseille is a difficult place for a CLUB team to play.

If the team were pelted with missles then Marseille would have been sanctioned.

Your refusal to give any ground to teh US almost proves my point. The world hates us (often with good reason) and from a political and sporting point of view you obviously have no respect for the United States.

I think the hatred paranoia is overtaking a bit there AT. Plenty of teams, club and country, get abused and pelted. Don't try and deny the experiences of many on this board of Marseille becasue there were no sanctions. Do you see many sanctions against italian clubs for the violence that happens every week? Or Spanish clubs for the racism. Polish or Hungarian clubs for the hooliganism?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Actually when the italians threw things on to the pitch they received bans. You see I was talking about players. I was not belittling your experience, just pointing out it wasnt relevant. I am more than aware of what away fans go through, particularly on the continent. I was merely pointing out the difficulty facing the US players as a hated nation. I dont remember the Germans or Poles throwing things at our players.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:47 pm

americantrotter wrote:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... 04&cc=5901

The author of that article is almost called Wanderers.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:50 pm

americantrotter wrote:Actually when the italians threw things on to the pitch they received bans. You see I was talking about players. I was not belittling your experience, just pointing out it wasnt relevant. I am more than aware of what away fans go through, particularly on the continent. I was merely pointing out the difficulty facing the US players as a hated nation. I dont remember the Germans or Poles throwing things at our players.
I might be making this up, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere. Didn't some Italian fans housed in an upper tier throw certain items down on to the rival fans in the lower tier?
"Certain items" being a toilet ripped off the wall, and a moped. How do you get a moped through the turnstile?

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:52 pm

I think it was the Roma fans when they played 'my' club, Atalanta... you've gotta remember that Italian Ultras have offices in the ground usually.
Viva La Portable Radio!