Some advice from wiser heads.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Sunderland's a top Uni for journalism, Newcastle and Northumbria are slightly better. For reference.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:55 pm

Just one little tip for you.

I'm applying for university at the moment, and the system they use is they have entry requirements based on your grades at A-Level. One thing you might consider doing is looking at a course at university in advance and seeing what grades/subjects they require. If for example, they want an A-Level in English Language, and an overall ABB, then it might be worth choosing 2 'easier' subjects along with English Language to make sure you get the grades. The current system is flawed, in that 3 B's in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths, is worse than 3 A's in Psychology, Media Studies, and Leisure/Tourism. Admittedly, that's a slight exaggeration, but hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make. So it might be an idea, if you're considering taking the A-Level then University path, thinking about that.

Otherwise, English Language is always a good one to go for, Media Studies if they offer it can't do any harm. Alternitively, you could look at colleges where you do the single course in something specific.

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
daxter15 wrote:Lol, I swear i have been using spell check to much. It has deteriorated my level of spelling.

I think i will go with the 4 that i have listed. I am interested in them as well and that has to be a factor. And i also think Sports pyschology is an appealing role so i think i will take pyschology to give me that aspect.
Zulu is correct, dax - written English is fairly fundamental and you need to work on the basics - not just spelling. 'To much' above is spelled correctly but you meant 'too much'. Even in posts to this forum you should try to capitalize properly just for practice. Then you can work on style - e.g. deteriorate can be a transitive verb but your sentence would flow better if used intransistively - "As a result, my spelling has detriorated". Even if you become an electronic journalist you will have to write copy and it should sound literate.

Communication Studies seems a good idea - but ultimately I would study the subjects you like and which interest you.
Sorry
Stay up

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Hey trust me i can write in fairly good English when i have to set my mind to it. I am predicted to get an A in the subject. Just on this board i tend to not concentrate to stenuosly on my grammer or vocabulary.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:25 pm

daxter15 wrote:Hey trust me i can write in fairly good English when i have to set my mind to it. I am predicted to get an A in the subject. Just on this board i tend to not concentrate to stenuosly on my grammer or vocabulary.
You don't say :wink:

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:30 pm

LOL.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 pm

Bwfc in the bloodline wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
daxter15 wrote:Lol, I swear i have been using spell check to much. It has deteriorated my level of spelling.

I think i will go with the 4 that i have listed. I am interested in them as well and that has to be a factor. And i also think Sports pyschology is an appealing role so i think i will take pyschology to give me that aspect.
Zulu is correct, dax - written English is fairly fundamental and you need to work on the basics - not just spelling. 'To much' above is spelled correctly but you meant 'too much'. Even in posts to this forum you should try to capitalize properly just for practice. Then you can work on style - e.g. deteriorate can be a transitive verb but your sentence would flow better if used intransistively - "As a result, my spelling has detriorated". Even if you become an electronic journalist you will have to write copy and it should sound literate.

Communication Studies seems a good idea - but ultimately I would study the subjects you like and which interest you.
Sorry
That's okay - but just check the Oxford English Dictionary, any American or Canadian dictionary and you will find I used an acceptable variant. I have been fighting this battle on this and other boards for years - believe it or not realize, organize, fraternize etc. are all acceptable (well, fraterbizing can be a problem in certain areas).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:53 pm

Please accept this as constructive criticism rather than me having a pop at you.

I would suggest that if you really do aspire to be a journalist that as others have said already you start to act like one at all times - even on a footy forum like this.

I can't spell for toffee - but I've got in the habit over the years of spellchecking everything.

I don't know if they do tests at interviews for journalism - but the inability to spell key words such as grammar - would I'm sure would count very strongly against you if they do.
daxter15 wrote:Just on this board i tend to not concentrate to stenuosly on my grammer or vocabulary.
I know youngsters these days type in text speak without punctuation and using capital letter's - but journalists reports are always in 'proper' English - perhaps you should consider getting into the habit like me of spellchecking everything - even if your English is good - as it highlight's any bad habit’s you may have developed like using a small i instead of the capital I.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:19 pm

sluffy wrote:Please accept this as constructive criticism rather than me having a pop at you.

I would suggest that if you really do aspire to be a journalist that as others have said already you start to act like one at all times - even on a footy forum like this.

I can't spell for toffee - but I've got in the habit over the years of spellchecking everything.

I don't know if they do tests at interviews for journalism - but the inability to spell key words such as grammar - would I'm sure would count very strongly against you if they do.
daxter15 wrote:Just on this board i tend to not concentrate to stenuosly on my grammer or vocabulary.
I know youngsters these days type in text speak without punctuation and using capital letter's - but journalists reports are always in 'proper' English - perhaps you should consider getting into the habit like me of spellchecking everything - even if your English is good - as it highlight's any bad habit’s you may have developed like using a small i instead of the capital I.
You even missed "too" strenuously, Sluffy - the point is, daxter, it is easy to get into bad habits such as to instead of too - so, as Sluffy, said you should try to get into good habits all the time. Good luck in your choices.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bertie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bertie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Marshall wrote:Just one little tip for you.

I'm applying for university at the moment, and the system they use is they have entry requirements based on your grades at A-Level. One thing you might consider doing is looking at a course at university in advance and seeing what grades/subjects they require. If for example, they want an A-Level in English Language, and an overall ABB, then it might be worth choosing 2 'easier' subjects along with English Language to make sure you get the grades. The current system is flawed, in that 3 B's in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths, is worse than 3 A's in Psychology, Media Studies, and Leisure/Tourism. Admittedly, that's a slight exaggeration, but hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make. So it might be an idea, if you're considering taking the A-Level then University path, thinking about that.

Otherwise, English Language is always a good one to go for, Media Studies if they offer it can't do any harm. Alternitively, you could look at colleges where you do the single course in something specific.
Quite right but you won't get onto a science or engineering course worth anything with A-Levels in Leisure/Tourism etc.

I know 4 or 5 journalists, none of whom have degrees in journalism or media. Their degrees are in English, History and one has a degree in Physics.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Bertie wrote:
Marshall wrote:Just one little tip for you.

Quite right but you won't get onto a science or engineering course worth anything with A-Levels in Leisure/Tourism etc.

I know 4 or 5 journalists, none of whom have degrees in journalism or media. Their degrees are in English, History and one has a degree in Physics.
Yes that's right. It's important to look to see if there are any subject-specific grades needed (as I stated earlier :D ).

If you can get an A/B in a subject like Physics, then go for it, because it's always good to be able to fall back on a science-related subject if you get a change of heart later on in life.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:58 pm

Batman wrote: Don't listen to CAPS, there lies a misspent youth.
Aye

Go to uni with all the other plebs

50% of the population with degrees

What is the fooking point

Get off your arse, and get a job

If it allows further study, excellent

And as for you caped crusader, I'll back my degree against yours :whack:

And it wasn't shitty Preston Poly either :mrgreen:
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Most of the good advice has already been given to you: You can't do anything without money; a regular day job gives you the means of a living and you can study from that base. Never practise mistakes. Do it right first time and it'll stick as a criteria after a while. Most of all: Whatever you do-even if it's only sweeping the streets- make a good job of it. Very few really successful people fall in through the roof; they climb a lot of ladders to get where they are. The world owes no one a living; you make your own way.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:20 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Aye

You negative pleb.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:25 pm

See, you've got lots to learn
Sto ut Serviam

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:35 pm

There is a lot of good advice in the above comments, daxter. I think the two that I would stress are the need to use good English at all times (if you do not then your carelessness or ignorance will inevitably filter through into your writing) and the approach to a number of businesses in the field of employ that you covet in order to ascertain the qualifications they would prefer a new employee to have attained.

I am quite sure that you will find a common thread when you analyse the replies you receive. Should you then find that you have a spare subject then you can study something that interests you and, at the same time, could be a useful adjunct to your main studies.

Regrettably I am unable to assist with advice as to which subjects are relevant to your aims but, a personal tip, keep a dictionary handy at all times as there will occur those moments when the spelling or precise meaning of a word escapes you.

Good luck.
Last edited by Dujon on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:39 pm

daxter15 wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Aye

You negative pleb.
He's right though: there's no point in doing a shit degree for the sake of it. However, if what you tell us about your predicted grades turns out to be accurate, then perhaps you can do rather better than a shit degree.

If you really want to be a journalist then it's imperative that you get as much experience as you can, as it's quite a hard industry to crack, even for very able people. As I think someone above has said - it's all about who you know and what contacts you have.

Dave Sutton's Barnet is in the industry, and I'm sure he'd give you some pointers if you were to ask him nicely.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:01 am

Cheers mummy

negative pleb or not, schoolkids need to realise Uni doesn't have to lead to the promised land

I can tell yours will be a ticket to riches beyond even my dreams, but its important not to lose sight of the fact taht Blairs crackpot ideas have really devalued degrees

My one might one day need to be used, and if it does need to be dusted of, I'll guarantee it won't be half as much use in getting fixed up, as the experience I have

Now if folk want to tell me the three years is the greatest time of their life, and it's worth being jobless and looking for junior posts at 22, then I wouldn't know
Sto ut Serviam

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:54 am

I was in Uni for half a year. Hated it. Wasn't for me.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:06 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:I can tell yours will be a ticket to riches beyond even my dreams, but its important not to lose sight of the fact taht Blairs crackpot ideas have really devalued degrees
The devaluation of degrees started way before that. Try Thatcher and you'll be much nearer the mark,