Olympics 2008

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Kin ell, can't believe Wariner faded that badly in the home straight.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Wariner looked absolutely knackered. That, to be fair, is a dreadful run.

Great run by the big man Merrit.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:31 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Athers wrote:Saw Pickering on that "Sprint" programme on the BBC about 4 young sprinters and he didn't come across well - there was a bit where he went on a big bitter rant about not earning much money and how if he was top 20 in the world in football he'd be on 100k a week.
Hopefully not as a goalkeeper, though.
Well, he's good at rushing out.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

jammyjim12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jammyjim12 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:32 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Wariner looked absolutely knackered. That, to be fair, is a dreadful run.

Great run by the big man Merrit.
Loved Neville from the U.S.A clinching the bronze. Just flung himself over the line in a tremendous Gilardino-esque dive.

jammyjim12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jammyjim12 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Great hurdles performance from Robles. 12.93, could have broken the world record if he's gone for it after the last hurdle.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:54 pm

That dive was great, a couple of grazed knees are temporary but an Olympic medal is permanent.

Mystery as to why everyone in the race ran slower except the Champ. Sure even our fellas of a few years ago like Thomas, Baulch and Richardson used to run mid 44 and would've all beat Wariner had they done that here. Suppose Rooney and the others can all do that too but didn't for whatever reason.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Intriguing triple jump going on. Philips Idowu and a Portugese fella going head to head, trading better jumps. 8cm seperating the top three.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Athers wrote:That dive was great, a couple of grazed knees are temporary but an Olympic medal is permanent.

Mystery as to why everyone in the race ran slower except the Champ. Sure even our fellas of a few years ago like Thomas, Baulch and Richardson used to run mid 44 and would've all beat Wariner had they done that here. Suppose Rooney and the others can all do that too but didn't for whatever reason.
Strange that so many of them seemed knackered.

Was a wet track, I suppose.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Silver for Idowu.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Another medal :), even though everyone expected gold

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Dissapointing though. I think he thought it would be gold along with the rest of us. Shame there won't be any more athletics winners this year, the only real downer for the overall Team GB contingent.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:33 pm

I really don't think Idowu has a lot more in the tank than that. He jumped a season's best, so it was hardly like he choked, and it would have taken a PB to clinch the gold from that great jump by Evora.

Not in Edwards' league, I'm afraid. He just doesn't have that raw pace down the runway, as far as I can tell.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Don't think he choked, and he's no Edwards, but I think he had enough in him to win it. Overall though Evora had the most consistent series of jumps.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Crazy Horses Waahh! waahhh!

And hurray!!

Someone being banned...but not for drugs! :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 573809.stm
this is one of the most disgraceful episodes in british sport and it's nowt to do with this lad really. This was leaked to the press by a senior member of staff at the ABA in order to unsettle the Olympic boxing team as there's a huge infight between the head of the ABA and the Olympic Boxing Team manager. Then after all the other boxing writers had shelved it for what it was, some scumbag columnist at the Mail ran it.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 am

Still pissed off about the 4x100. It would be better to stop at the bloody line than do that. His teammates must be bitter, because I am...

And the boxer... involved in an indecent incident with a French girl.......

I like his style.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 pm

We bottled the 4x100m AGAIN, this time the women in the final, we probably would have got a silver otherwise

Both times it was the white athlete, we need to stop picking white athletes for the relays ;)

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

'Never bet on the white guy'

Mixed results in the boxing. DeGale in the final but our other two have to settle for bronze. Price takes a big wallop in the second.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Jesus Christ. 3/10ths of a second off the sprint relay world record by Jamaica, probably winning by about 25-30 metres.