What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Same festival, different band: Elbow's A Day Like This joyously telling us "It's looking like a beautiful day". (non-Glastonbury video here)
Never quite got into elbow, know people who have but i dont think ive ever had that moment when you fall for a band. Anyone got any tips on what to listen to looking for that moment?
Just a view, but with music of any type that I like, it usually hits home with me as soon as I hear it. Not always, granted, but that's the beauty of music, it's an ears thing. I love the ability of music to paint mental pictures where you can just shut your eyes and be transported. Personal thing I suppose.
Personally it can take one moment or even one unheard song by a band to put everything into context, like a key in a door if you'll allow the pretentios simile :) . As you say though everyhtings personal and the effect music can have is certainly profound.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Has anyone been to the Liverpool Echo Arena? Am I to look forward to dots playing in an, ahem, echo? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Partie Traumatic by Black Kids

actually very good

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:47 pm

they may all look and sound the same to you fella but some of us lije to know the name of the band
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:44 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Partie Traumatic by Black Kids

actually very good
The demo sounds much better, plus I think there's a lot of filler on the new album rather than the EP where all songs were great.
Last edited by jmjhb on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 pm

The Gaslight Anthem's new album, the '59 Sound, superb album. Think a punk-tinged Bruce Springsteen and you're on the right track...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 am

New album by the Mystery Jets - Twenty One
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 am

New Subways album, have been pleasantly surprised. Was expecting more indie poisng over over produced shallowness, but theyve gone a lot more edgy and heavier, sounds much more like an album the band wanted to make rather than the production team. Still a bit lightweight lyricaly but good fun, much better than their first.

Also had a bit of MissWinehouse with ' Frank' god that girl could sing before she became a tabloid circus.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Subways has been on the old mp3 player last day or so also.

At the mo though it's the new album from Strokes' guitarist Albert Hammond jr, and it's excellent

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Subways has been on the old mp3 player last day or so also.

At the mo though it's the new album from Strokes' guitarist Albert Hammond jr, and it's excellent
Do we get a title HRG?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Random MP3 from God knows where on the hard disk...
The Mike Flowers Pops with Wonderwall. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:45 pm

chemical brothers after they blew my mind at belgium
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Subways has been on the old mp3 player last day or so also.

Do we get a title HRG?
como te llama?, spanish for "who are you?"

stand out tracks are in my room, gfc, the boss americana and whatever the last track is

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:14 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Do we get a title HRG?

stand out tracks are in my room, gfc, the boss americana and whatever the last track is
Cheers bud, might have to give that a listen.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:39 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Do we get a title HRG?

Or more literally the Spanish meaning: "What's your name ?" (How are you called?)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:28 am

After watching them at LCCC the other Sunday I've come to realise that In Rainbows by Radiohead is probably the best album of this new century.

I've listened to it more or less none stop since.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Same festival, different band: Elbow's A Day Like This joyously telling us "It's looking like a beautiful day". (non-Glastonbury video here)
Never quite got into elbow, know people who have but i dont think ive ever had that moment when you fall for a band. Anyone got any tips on what to listen to looking for that moment?
Elbow are due a best-of collection - all their albums have highpoints and, frankly, fingers-drumming-on-table moments. However, as they've been on different labels, it'd be difficult.

Look up Leaders of the Free World, Forget Myself, Grounds for Divorce and the aforementioned A Day Like This (plus Bruce's recommendation New Born) and if they don't do it for you, you need a different band buddy!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Elbow are due a best-of collection - all their albums have highpoints and, frankly, fingers-drumming-on-table moments. However, as they've been on different labels, it'd be difficult.

Look up Leaders of the Free World, Forget Myself, Grounds for Divorce and the aforementioned A Day Like This (plus Bruce's recommendation New Born) and if they don't do it for you, you need a different band buddy!
Not got round to looking any Elbow up yet. After a few months of musical nothingness ive found lots i want to listen to all at once. Tonight is special though. A band about four people have heard of yet got 13th best album of the year in NME (or some other music rag). At the mo listening to Reuben's second album Very Fast Very Dangerous. Loud, full of attitude and absolutely top draw.

That said cheers for the tips DSB and Brucie, ill get there eventually.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Not got round to looking any Elbow up yet. After a few months of musical nothingness ive found lots i want to listen to all at once. Tonight is special though. A band about four people have heard of yet got 13th best album of the year in NME (or some other music rag). At the mo listening to Reuben's second album Very Fast Very Dangerous. Loud, full of attitude and absolutely top draw.

That said cheers for the tips DSB and Brucie, ill get there eventually.
Great Expectations by Elbow got me listening to more.....(which is more than the book I had to read for O Level by the same name, which just bored me shi*less)

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:39 am

I don't normally buy Kerrang! magazine these days but it had a CD full of Iron Maiden songs as covered by various other bands. So I've given that a spin tonight.

Some good, some not so good, but over all an interesting listen.

Although I suspect that most of the bands appear due to the fact they're 'current' and 'trendy' rather than they've been particularly influenced by Iron Maiden. Fightstar being a good example of this. On the other hand it might just be that I hate Fightstar and they've ruined one of my all time favourite Maiden songs, 'Fear of the Dark'
Don't call it a comeback