The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by jimbo » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:34 pm

20000th reply on this thread, and why not use it to proclaim the return of Gavin Williamson to cabinet! As Insane said, I thought Sunak might be quite sensible but he’s brought a few mad ones back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 pm
Looking at Sunaks appalling cabinet I’m not as sure he’s the ‘sensible one’ after all. What a load of utter nonsense.

Disaster after disaster. Shameless.
Don't say you wasn't warned.

Raab f in Raab and slimeminister general, Gove!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:47 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 pm
Looking at Sunaks appalling cabinet I’m not as sure he’s the ‘sensible one’ after all. What a load of utter nonsense.

Disaster after disaster. Shameless.
Don't say you wasn't warned.

Raab f in Raab and slimeminister general, Gove!
I guess we might not agree on much. But Raab a man who I suspect wouldn’t be qualified to operate a leisure centre front desk gets another cabinet position. It’s honestly astonishing.

Gove I can’t stand but still. Braverman a complete dunce.

It’s awful.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:59 pm

Was there more to Braverman's resignation than we know about? Tactical, maybe?
The whole thing just seems utterly bizarre.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:59 pm
Was there more to Braverman's resignation than we know about? Tactical, maybe?
The whole thing just seems utterly bizarre.
Thought so at the time, because I muttered "spineless arsehole" when I read it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:05 pm

The marginal kerfuffle over Braverman. She ran off from PMQ's and left her bag carrier, to explain that it'd be "wrong for any new ethics advisor to investigate something from the "previous administration"" - like it's something completely different. It's the same fcuking party, just with a different leader and a cabinet re-shuffle as you get from time to time with any government...

How they've got the balls to say "ahh that was them, not us" about the same party a week ago beggars belief...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am

Was thinking perhaps give labour a chance until I found out Starmer was sending the nounse finder general to the house of lords! :hang:

Jesus what planet are these people on?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:27 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am
Was thinking perhaps give labour a chance until I found out Starmer was sending the nounse finder general to the house of lords! :hang:

"Armies are not totally composed of intelligent generals, but just a core of such and the rest of "do as they are told and ask no questions" numbers. Thus is the way of the world." Tango 2022.. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:12 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am

Maybe a clue?

I think if you could be swayed from voting for a party based on your outrage at the honours list, that perhaps you were never going to vote for them.

On one side we have inflation, cost of living, an undelivered brexit dividend, taxes up etc and so forth.

On the other there's some sort of "outrage" around who Starmer has put forwards for the honours list.

I like a bit of balanced judgement. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:39 am

Another one for Hobes. The DUP, which the current government still (as far as I know) have a confidence and supply agreement with, have been steadfastly refusing to join the Assembly on the grounds they didn't win. The result is another election will probably be announced 6 months after the last vote.

Where all the indignation about "not following the will of the people" gone? I mean, we've not heard a dickie from the defenders of the faith..

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:09 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:39 am
Another one for Hobes. The DUP, which the current government still (as far as I know) have a confidence and supply agreement with, have been steadfastly refusing to join the Assembly on the grounds they didn't win. The result is another election will probably be announced 6 months after the last vote.

Where all the indignation about "not following the will of the people" gone? I mean, we've not heard a dickie from the defenders of the faith..
I'd be happy for them to have a referendum on a United Ireland, the costs of the trouble that followed would be down to South and EU, not us for a change.
On the other it's

Tom Watson, the unapologetic police time and public money waste of space.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:01 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:09 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:39 am

I'd be happy for them to have a referendum on a United Ireland, the costs of the trouble that followed would be down to South and EU, not us for a change.
On the other it's

Tom Watson, the unapologetic police time and public money waste of space.
But hasn’t he put TW on the honours list to basically annoy the far left Corbyn types who absolutely hate Watson? I thought you might approve of winding those guys up?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:54 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:09 am

On the other it's
A United Ireland (just like a united Scotland ) I doubt will happen in our lifetimes. Look back far enough and all our troubles (or at least a fair amount) have been caused mainly of our own making from learning nothing from the past. The only real answer would be to close the book on it and start again and the chances of that happening are slimmer than Westminster becoming a United England. I might be entirely wrong, but somehow I don't see Sunak as being the next Churchill in getting people to listen. Ask the citizens what they see as a famous address and I reckon more will say 221 Baker Street than number 10 Downing Street.

Maybe a solution will emerge eventually or maybe a Midwich Cuckoo situation will happen...who knows :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:36 pm

So at a time when people can hardly afford to live, building 300'000 new houses a year is a government priority. Who is going to afford to buy them all? You don't have to look very far really to see what's wrong with this country. Neverland doesn't just exist in fairy tales. I've had my innings, but I dread what will happen to my grandkids and great grandkids. God help them...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:36 pm
So at a time when people can hardly afford to live, building 300'000 new houses a year is a government priority. Who is going to afford to buy them all? You don't have to look very far really to see what's wrong with this country. Neverland doesn't just exist in fairy tales. I've had my innings, but I dread what will happen to my grandkids and great grandkids. God help them...
But we need new houses. We’ve needed them for over a decade. More houses available reduces the cost for buyers…

Houses cost so much because supply is low and demand is high.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:14 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
But we need new houses. We’ve needed them for over a decade. More houses available reduces the cost for buyers…

All very good for people able to afford to buy a house of any sort, never mind new. It's called priorities. The U.K.government are currently spending seven million (that's 7 m£) pounds per day on hotel bills for immigrants; Fifty million per week. Not Neverland, here and now. Hundreds of thousands of U.K residents can't can't pay their electric bills.
Who benefits and how will available new houses help anyone except the building societies and property developers. You don't need a telescope to see what a shambles it all is, just have a look at your Smart Meter or shopping bill. .

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

There were 24m households in the last census and 24.8m on the housing stock volume. The problem is not going to be solved just by "building lots more houses" - the problem is some of them are in places people don't want them, plenty of cases where people might want one, but it's in a place they can't afford and 9m owned by people to rent them out, which they view as an "asset".

You have bought the story from the Tory's favourite donors, that we need "shitload more houses"...We don't.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:00 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

There were 24m households in the last census and 24.8m on the housing stock volume. The problem is not going to be solved just by "building lots more houses" - the problem is some of them are in places people don't want them, plenty of cases where people might want one, but it's in a place they can't afford and 9m owned by people to rent them out, which they view as an "asset".

You have bought the story from the Tory's favourite donors, that we need "shitload more houses"...We don't.
I don’t know of anyone who seriously argues we don’t have a housing supply issue.

The disagreements are around the sort of housing stock we build, where and when.

Not that there isn’t a massive shortage. And I fully agree that you don’t have a physical shortage by number however millions of those are owned by landlords and I don’t think any political party will suggest forces repossession. Also millions of those are soon to be condemned terraces in and around cities that simply aren’t sustainable going forward.

We do have a shortage. We do need to build more houses. The Tories will not build the affordable housing we require. They will pay lip service to it but I’ve talked to enough developers trying to build affordable and social housing to know the incentives are in the wrong place.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:05 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

All very good for people able to afford to buy a house of any sort, never mind new. It's called priorities. The U.K.government are currently spending seven million (that's 7 m£) pounds per day on hotel bills for immigrants; Fifty million per week. Not Neverland, here and now. Hundreds of thousands of U.K residents can't can't pay their electric bills.
Who benefits and how will available new houses help anyone except the building societies and property developers. You don't need a telescope to see what a shambles it all is, just have a look at your Smart Meter or shopping bill. .
But I’m not convinced that the things you mention are linked in the way you suggest….they are linked…but….. You get no argument from me on the government they are absolutely dreadful. Let’s leave that there….

We need more houses and it is a crisis because more and more and more people are locked off from the housing ladder and consequently paying massive rents impacting their ability to pay bills. New houses in the market (if they build the right sort) means the price of houses falls and more people can escape the high rent trap, meaning that they can pay their bills and we can also build more social housing taking people out of some appalling conditions they currently live in.

I get the priority in the immediate term for people is spiralling costs but a major driver of inflation is the housing market itself. So reducing the impact of that can help control the rising costs and inflation especially longer term.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:35 am

I don't see how a 97% occupancy rate is not a massive f*cking shortage.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.