Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ale

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm

I got that desperate down in this that London the other day (the beer, generally, is shite - all random 'uns that are at best OK, and even if you find one you like it wont be served any where fecking else) that I tried a pint of 'Yorkshire Lager'. Out of a keg. I thought, they can't well have just put flat lager in a keg and pulled it through as ale. They bloody well could. :vomit:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm

I've still got about a dozen to 18 mixed bottles of Belgian beers under the stairs that I'd forgotten about. Most of them are quite strong, 9%ers and whatnot. They've been there about 18 months. Will they still be alright for supping?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've still got about a dozen to 18 mixed bottles of Belgian beers under the stairs that I'd forgotten about. Most of them are quite strong, 9%ers and whatnot. They've been there about 18 months. Will they still be alright for supping?
Generally yes. You're very unlikely to get salmonella or anything... though one or two might be beyond best and taste dull, flat or rank.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've still got about a dozen to 18 mixed bottles of Belgian beers under the stairs that I'd forgotten about. Most of them are quite strong, 9%ers and whatnot. They've been there about 18 months. Will they still be alright for supping?
The higher the strength, the longer they last.
All the well known ones like Chimay or Duvel keep for ages.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Cheers Chaps. I'd better get stuck into 'em at weekend then. :pissed:

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Today my wife & I went to the Fishermans on Shanklin beach. First time for a few years. Had a wonderfull pint of 'Undercliff' from the Yate's brewery, 4.7abv. (St Lawrence, local). If you ever see it at a festival, it's well worth the fee......

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 am

I discovered a really good pub when passing through Sussex the other day. It's in a little place called West Hoathly, which I've never been through before. I know most of you will never pass through, but if you are in the area it is worth a diversion. Good ale excellently kept in fine 16th century free house surroundings with real fire in a huge open grate in the main bar = The Cat Inn.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

A pint of Harvey's Sussex Bitter is one of my favourites.

Don't go on Monday the 8th of April though, they're shut!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Enoch wrote:A pint of Harvey's Sussex Bitter is one of my favourites.

good job it's already Friday the 12th then Enoch :P
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Apparently American beer is no longer a joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Enoch wrote:A pint of Harvey's Sussex Bitter is one of my favourites.

good job it's already Friday the 12th then Enoch :P
Is it April already! How time flies.

:oops:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Apparently American beer is no longer a joke.
Now that is funny, a likely story.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:58 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I worked in the drinks industry some 15 or so years ago, Monty, we launched, or at least tried to, an American craft beer called Apollo from the Big Bang Brewery in the US. It was a lager that was brewed in oak casks. I and my friends absolutely loved it as did patrons in the same trendy London drinkeries to which the article refers. Beyond that the feedback received from the trials we ran told us that it was too complex for the en-masse Budweiser drinkers and wasn't deemed trendy enough due to basically zero above the line marketing. The real ale enthusiasts treated it with enormous scepticism.
Despite the claims of your article about craft beer being produced by what we call micro-breweries, the only one that I ever seem to see when I'm in the US is Blue Moon. Brewed, of course, by Coors!
Great shame really.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Ale isn't particularly popular in Northern Ireland but I had a few Smithwicks last night, anyone else drank it before ? Not sure on its popularity outside Ireland

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

Relentless09 wrote:Ale isn't particularly popular in Northern Ireland but I had a few Smithwicks last night, anyone else drank it before ? Not sure on its popularity outside Ireland
I've never come across it over here, but I've imbibed it in Cork (Canty's Bar). It doesn't travel very well is the kindest review I'd give it (supposedly creamy but very thin tasting, no hoppiness evident, with a slightly rancid aftertaste. Described as ruby red on the pump clip but was more like a dirty brown colour - not the best pint I've ever had. I had to go back to my 2006 beer tasting notes for that one - it might have improved since then).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am

^ Spot on. Bit like Marston's Pedi in that the closer to the brewery you are, the better it is. And when it's good it's fecking nectar, but when it's bad.......oh boy!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Ale isn't particularly popular in Northern Ireland but I had a few Smithwicks last night, anyone else drank it before ? Not sure on its popularity outside Ireland
Smithwicks is sold on tap here in Montreal. I guess it comes over in large galvanized barrels. Claims to have originally been brewed by monks or something. It's not bad.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Following a quick check of Wikipedia I note:
In 1993, Smithwick's Draught became Canada's leading imported ale. As of autumn 2010, Smithwick's continues to be brewed in Dundalk and Kilkenny with tankers sent to Dublin to be kegged for the on trade market.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

When I worked in the drinks industry some 15 or so years ago, Monty, we launched, or at least tried to, an American craft beer called Apollo from the Big Bang Brewery in the US. It was a lager that was brewed in oak casks. I and my friends absolutely loved it as did patrons in the same trendy London drinkeries to which the article refers. Beyond that the feedback received from the trials we ran told us that it was too complex for the en-masse Budweiser drinkers and wasn't deemed trendy enough due to basically zero above the line marketing. The real ale enthusiasts treated it with enormous scepticism.
Despite the claims of your article about craft beer being produced by what we call micro-breweries, the only one that I ever seem to see when I'm in the US is Blue Moon. Brewed, of course, by Coors!
Great shame really.
I tried Blue Moon when I visited Cheers in Boston. I think it was served with a slice of Orange in it, though that might have been one of the others they had. We ended up trying them all after a kind drunk called Bruce (who claimed to have lived in Peterbrough for 8 years as the head of Hotpoint) insisted on paying for all of our drinks.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am

Had some Danish Monster, 6.2%, at the local yesterday. I can't remember who brews it and can't even speculate on any Danish connection as it is a strong, darkish ale. Anyway, a word of warning....don't. It's foul. The flavour is somewhat akin to what you would imagine the waste water from boiling tramps underpants to be like with added overstrong citric hops.