This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 pm

I might put my name down for his council house.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Hardly the time or place Brucie!

RIP
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:34 pm

William the White wrote:Outstanding trade union leader. I'm very, very sad at Bob Crow's passing.
This. Very sad and no age at all. RIP Bob
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I might put my name down for his council house.

I think his wife and 4 children may have something to say about that. He could have had an RMT funded property but chose to remain among the people he knew, and his family grew up in that house, perhaps it's time to kick out the rich and only put the poor and downtrodden in council houses. Some might not like him but, as reported on TV, the RMT members loved him. Some of us are quite well off, I'm retired so shouldn't give a feck about the outside world but I do feel angry when I see hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which isn't a 'Living wage'. Unions will become even more necessary in the future. Those Dark Satanic Mills are never far away.
RIP Bob Crow, by the people and for the people 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Sir Margret's probably already crushed Heavens version of the RMT already.

:/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Gravedigger wrote: I do feel angry when I see hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which isn't a 'Living wage'.
Get angry at the sight of this often do you? What, with you being "quite well off and retired"?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gravedigger wrote: I do feel angry when I see hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which isn't a 'Living wage'.
Get angry at the sight of this often do you? What, with you being "quite well off and retired"?
What, the quite well off and retired aren't allowed to be angry at the Tory assault on the vulnerable and working people?

I'll have to watch my step, obviously.

Well said Gravedigger.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

People are still angry at the Tory assault on the vulnerable and working people?
Get over it, they've not been in power since 1997.
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
What, the quite well off and retired aren't allowed to be angry at the Tory assault on the vulnerable and working people?

Well said Gravedigger.
Go on then, where have I suggested that the well off and retired aren't allowed to be angry about anything whatsoever? The floor's yours. Please explain. My parents are well off and retired and are angry about plenty. My question to Gravedigger was quite simple and straightforward as far as I can tell. Twist it all you like to suit your own agenda, but it's still there in black and white. Tory assault on the vulnerable? Yeah, tube train drivers on £48 Grand a year for pressing the 'stop' 'go' buttons. :roll:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Good on them, I say.

I'm not jealous of any worker earning a good sum.

Its the super rich and their incomprehensible pay packets and bonuses that annoy me.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well said Gravedigger.
Go on then, where have I suggested that the well off and retired aren't allowed to be angry about anything whatsoever? The floor's yours. Please explain. My parents are well off and retired and are angry about plenty. My question to Gravedigger was quite simple and straightforward as far as I can tell. Twist it all you like to suit your own agenda, but it's still there in black and white. Tory assault on the vulnerable? Yeah, tube train drivers on £48 Grand a year for pressing the 'stop' 'go' buttons. :roll:
The clear implication of your post to Gravey. Unless you were for some reason genuinely curious as to the number of times he gets angry about Tory actions.

I didn't say that tube drivers were weak and vulnerable. I don't think they are. Bob Crow's RMT have helped organise them out of that position. Excellent. Good work. I don't think other workers should be placed in that profoundly insecure position of minimum wage employment or zero hours contracts, or the hopelessness of unemployment. It's cruel and vicious.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

jaffka wrote:
I'm not jealous of any worker earning a good sum.

Its the super rich and their incomprehensible pay packets and bonuses that annoy me.
Your irony isn't lost on me. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well said Gravedigger.
The clear implication of your post to Gravey. Unless you were for some reason genuinely curious as to the number of times he gets angry about Tory actions.

I didn't say that tube drivers were weak and vulnerable. I don't think they are. Bob Crow's RMT have helped organise them out of that position. Excellent. Good work. I don't think other workers should be placed in that profoundly insecure position of minimum wage employment or zero hours contracts, or the hopelessness of unemployment. It's cruel and vicious.
There#s absolutely no implication in my question whatsoever. It's so straightforward that it could win a straightforwardness award. How many times does Gravedigger find himself angered by seeing hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which, he says, isn't a 'Living wage'?

So, and let me get this right too. Labour imposed the minimum wage and now your moaning about that too? Especially academics and public servant types. Let me tell you something - the guys on our factory floors are shitting themselves about the minimum wage going up. They've only just gone back onto five day, three shift working. I'm sure that they'll be delighted that there are well off retired types trying to talk them out of employment on a point of principle. When you talk of "other workers shouldn't be placed in that profoundly insecure position of minimum wage employment," and it being "cruel and vicious" then you haven't a clue as to what it is that you're on about.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: There#s absolutely no implication in my question whatsoever. It's so straightforward that it could win a straightforwardness award. How many times does Gravedigger find himself angered by seeing hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which, he says, isn't a 'Living wage'?

Perhaps he needs a time-limited question so he can try and answer accurately? like, how many times a week? Or an hour? Or between breakfast and lunch? Otherwise the straightforward question, that really obviously, is not a sarky sneer, is impossible to answer.

So, and let me get this right too. Labour imposed the minimum wage and now your moaning about that too? [/b

I'm pretty sure you'd be moaning if you were on it.

Especially academics and public servant types. Let me tell you something - the guys on our factory floors are shitting themselves about the minimum wage going up. They've only just gone back onto five day, three shift working. I'm sure that they'll be delighted that there are well off retired types trying to talk them out of employment on a point of principle. When you talk of "other workers shouldn't be placed in that profoundly insecure position of minimum wage employment," and it being "cruel and vicious" then you haven't a clue as to what it is that you're on about.

What makes you say that? It looks to me, from what you say about the workers at your factory that they are aware that they are in a profoundly insecure position and are worried sick about it. and it's not surprising. The world isn't made for them. They are some way off the £3 million bonus life.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:09 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: There#s absolutely no implication in my question whatsoever. It's so straightforward that it could win a straightforwardness award. How many times does Gravedigger find himself angered by seeing hard working folk coming home knackered and on minimum wage which, he says, isn't a 'Living wage'?

Perhaps he needs a time-limited question so he can try and answer accurately? like, how many times a week? Or an hour? Or between breakfast and lunch? Otherwise the straightforward question, that really obviously, is not a sarky sneer, is impossible to answer.

So, and let me get this right too. Labour imposed the minimum wage and now your moaning about that too? [/b

Especially academics and public servant types. Let me tell you something - the guys on our factory floors are shitting themselves about the minimum wage going up. They've only just gone back onto five day, three shift working. I'm sure that they'll be delighted that there are well off retired types trying to talk them out of employment on a point of principle. When you talk of "other workers shouldn't be placed in that profoundly insecure position of minimum wage employment," and it being "cruel and vicious" then you haven't a clue as to what it is that you're on about.

What makes you say that? It looks to me, from what you say about the workers at your factory that they are aware that they are in a profoundly insecure position and are worried sick about it. and it's not surprising. The world isn't made for them. They are some way off the £3 million bonus life.

1/ No, there's no time frame, well, not beyond 'ever'. Is this the third or the fourth time that I've had to point out to you that my question is a simple one spelled out in black and white.

2/ Minimum wage. Your response "I'm pretty sure you'd be moaning if you were on it." You didn't read my point at all, did you? So wrapped up in your own ill-informed bullshit, go back and read that that I wrote. The very people that are on minimum wage fear a rise in it as it means job losses for some of them.

I gave up reading your stuff at that point, as there was no point in me carrying on.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:

1/ No, there's no time frame, well, not beyond 'ever'. Is this the third or the fourth time that I've had to point out to you that my question is a simple one spelled out in black and white.

2/ Minimum wage. Your response "I'm pretty sure you'd be moaning if you were on it." You didn't read my point at all, did you? So wrapped up in your own ill-informed bullshit, go back and read that that I wrote. The very people that are on minimum wage fear a rise in it as it means job losses for some of them.

I gave up reading your stuff at that point, as there was no point in me carrying on.

Ah well... You missed a real belter at the end of my post. A total jewel. Still, your loss. :D

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 am

don't know how these things work, or even if he had one , but is it ironic that he died miles before even getting to public sector pension age ?

if his wife lives forever and a day then maybe it's not, but he didn't look the type that rides a push bike a lot.

in fact if he had a bike , i'd bet its rustier than terry waite's was.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 am

a1 wrote:don't know how these things work, or even if he had one , but is it ironic that he died miles before even getting to public sector pension age ?

if his wife lives forever and a day then maybe it's not, but he didn't look the type that rides a push bike a lot.

in fact if he had a bike , i'd bet its rustier than terry waite's was.
:lol:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 am

I don't consider myself particularly party political these days, but I do wonder how it is that minimum wage and zero hours jobs are specifically Tory evils.

Anwyay, I'm actually sad at Crow's passing. At 52 he was significantly younger than both of my parents.

I would prefer workers' rights to be secured evenly across the board by better labour laws, rather than by economic terrorism and blackmail marshalled by the likes of Crow, but he was clearly very effective in his role and a big character amongst too many pygmies in public life.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I don't consider myself particularly party political these days, but I do wonder how it is that minimum wage and zero hours jobs are specifically Tory evils.

Anwyay, I'm actually sad at Crow's passing. At 52 he was significantly younger than both of my parents.

I would prefer workers' rights to be secured evenly across the board by better labour laws, rather than by economic terrorism and blackmail marshalled by the likes of Crow, but he was clearly very effective in his role and a big character amongst too many pygmies in public life.
I'm not sure minimum wage is a Tory evil, other than they all were whipped to vote against (similarly Lab and Libdem were whipped to vote for iirc). I think it's interesting that Crow gets plenty of vitriol pointed in his direction for securing a good deal for his members, with phrases like "Economic terrorism", but the suggestion that a rise in the minimum wages that terrifies employees because they'd then be on short shifts or lose their jobs, is just a fact of life.

There are costs in relation to operating in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) one of which is the minimum wage. I'm sure some businesses would prefer that they could employ some employees at 2 Shekels an hour, with the state then effectively subsidising their business by picking up the benefits tab for folks paid 2 Shekels an hour.

I understand that increasing this could lead to job losses and that real actual people would be affected, but I'd contextualise that to say a 10p increase for 500 employees working an 8 hour shift, 365 days a year, is probably less than the MD earns.