fight the flab

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: fight the flab

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 am

Is that the NHS Calculator Bish?

I used that and it said I was 5 stone overweight so don't look too much into the results! You're doing really well and if you feel healthy, that's the main thing!
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:11 am

Andy Waller wrote:Is that the NHS Calculator Bish?

I used that and it said I was 5 stone overweight so don't look too much into the results! You're doing really well and if you feel healthy, that's the main thing!
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthywe ... lator.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:15 am

clapton is god wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Is that the NHS Calculator Bish?

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthywe ... lator.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the one.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:33 am

I'm going nowhere near BMI calculators thank-you very much.

Good work there though Bish. I'm going to have to stab a new hole in my jeans belt. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I'm going nowhere near BMI calculators thank-you very much.

Good work there though Bish. I'm going to have to stab a new hole in my jeans belt. :)
I did that calculator.

Wish I hadn't

1 stone 8lbs overweight.

Didn't have a section where I could say I was very broad and have heavy bones. :evil:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm on the cusp of lardiness! Shirley not!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Well, I did think BMI was nonsense, but it tells me I'm bang in the middle, so screw it, must be true. Still got 1st 7 to play with!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm

You? You're a feckin rake!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:21 pm

I was surprised to be slightly the chubs end of the middle. Not convinced it's legit!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:I was surprised to be slightly the chubs end of the middle. Not convinced it's legit!
it's legit - but you have to take it for what it is...

BMI is not a perfect measure, because it does not directly assess body fat. Muscle and bone are denser than fat, so an athlete or muscular person may have a high BMI, yet not have too much fat. But most people are not athletes, and for most people, BMI is a very good gauge of their level of body fat and several studies have shown it to be a good predictor of disease risk.

measuring body fat directly might be a better guage - but most people can't do this as they don't have the kit...

I also suspect that our perception of a "healthy weight" and what that looks like has changed over the last couple of decades... so people appear to be shocked that they are classified as "overweight" (not to be confused with "obese") and so dismiss the measurement!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:I was surprised to be slightly the chubs end of the middle. Not convinced it's legit!
At 6ft and 12st 11 I'm much closer to over than underweight which is also bollocks as those who have seen my chainsaw/mankini topless shots will attest.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
At 6ft and 12st 11 I'm much closer to over than underweight which is also bollocks as those who have seen my chainsaw/mankini topless shots will attest.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 pm

What a load of cobblers that is, recommends I loose two stone!!! I'd cease to exist if this was the case and send the consultant into fits.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:37 pm

It gives me the following minimum/maximum healthy range: 9st 14lb - 13st 7lb. Surely that's a huge range - 3.5 stone. Whatever, at 14st 12lb I'm out if it and this was after I lost 10 lbs. :(
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:It gives me the following minimum/maximum healthy range: 9st 14lb - 13st 7lb. Surely that's a huge range - 3.5 stone. Whatever, at 14st 12lb I'm out if it and this was after I lost 10 lbs. :(
If you were to lose another 10lbs you'd be very close to that range! :oyea:

Like Bish says, everyone's different. Someone who has a fairly even amount of fat over their entire body is probably in a better position than someone with a lot of fat around the gut because it's likely that they have a lot of visceral fat.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:20 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:It gives me the following minimum/maximum healthy range: 9st 14lb - 13st 7lb. Surely that's a huge range - 3.5 stone. Whatever, at 14st 12lb I'm out if it and this was after I lost 10 lbs. :(

Like Bish says, everyone's different. Someone who has a fairly even amount of fat over their entire body is probably in a better position than someone with a lot of fat around the gut because it's likely that they have a lot of visceral fat.
This, alas, is not encouraging information...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:52 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:

This, alas, is not encouraging information...
Sorry, I was trying to be encouraging, certainly about the 10lbs.

I used to eat all boiled veg and grilled chicken, but since I met someone who cooks less healthy stuff the one thing that has changed is the bodyfat % on the digital scales (albeit not that accurate). A meal used to be something like 60% veg, now it's probably more like 20-30% with more fried stuff, miscellaneous meats and salt. Lunch is the one meal I can change without arguments so thinking to fill myself up on boiled/steamed veg for lunch and see what happens. A bit like a primary school science experiment :)
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:36 am

Just 2 lbs this week. That's another bag of sugar though. :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just 2 lbs this week. That's another bag of sugar though. :)

there's no "just" about it! I was fecking thrilled to step on the scales today and see that I am back in the zone and have lost a whole 2lbs this week (having been down to 1lb loss for a couple of weeks!)

:oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:11 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just 2 lbs this week. That's another bag of sugar though. :)

there's no "just" about it! I was fecking thrilled to step on the scales today and see that I am back in the zone and have lost a whole 2lbs this week (having been down to 1lb loss for a couple of weeks!)

:oyea:
Well done you. There'll be nothing left of you in a bit :)

I'm off to Belgium later today until Friday. The restaurant of the hotel I'm booked into is actually a catering college where Belgium's top restaurants send their aspiring young chefs for training. The nosebag is so fantastic that there's a chance of it actually making a man's bollocks tingle.

I'm doubting that I'll have much sheddage to report next week, and then I'll blame Bobo for giving me the heads-up on the place in the first place. :)