The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:50 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Fair play, but I thought the Iron Curtain may have attracted your attention though.
Not a proper fence, in the sense of the EU Boundary Fence Hobes was proposing some while back - helicopters from Afghanistan could potentially have got over it. The Hobes is clearly not for turning.

Complained about immigrants not being stopped at source - Germans talk to Turkey about doing just that, Hoboh was indignant.

Complained about EU countries not being in control of their borders - Austria puts fence up, Hoboh was indignant.

That's in the last couple of pages. I wish he'd make he bloody mind up.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
That's in the last couple of pages. I wish he'd make he bloody mind up.
Why? 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:21 pm

thebish wrote:and the berlin wall?
Didn't stand up to much scrutiny when The Hoff reached town though, did it?! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am

meanwhile..
The United States is not keen on pursuing a separate free trade deal with Britain if it leaves the European Union, the US trade representative, Michael Froman, said – the first public comments from a senior US official on the matter.

Froman’s comments on Wednesday undermine a key economic argument deployed by proponents of exit, who say Britain would prosper on its own and be able to secure bilateral free trade agreements (FTAs) with trading partners.

The US is Britain’s biggest export market after the EU, buying more than $54bn (£35bn) in goods from the UK in 2014.

“I think it’s absolutely clear that Britain has a greater voice at the trade table being part of the EU, being part of a larger economic entity,” Froman told Reuters, adding that EU membership gives Britain more leverage in negotiations.

“We’re not particularly in the market for FTAs with individual countries. We’re building platforms … that other countries can join over time.”

If Britain left the EU, Froman said, it would face the same tariffs and trade barriers as other countries outside the US free trade network.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm

^^ There's a shock. My ghast has been flabbered. Wonder if Hobes can tell us the additional cost we might expect?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:04 pm

But Froman is talking bollocking. The US would sign the UK up on the terms it has with the EU. There's far too much tied up between the UK & US and the negotiation mechanics are already in existence.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:But Froman is talking bollocking. The US would sign the UK up on the terms it has with the EU. There's far too much tied up between the UK & US and the negotiation mechanics are already in existence.
In your humble opinion. :-)

Either we'd have the same terms as the EU with no input to those terms or we'd have a separate agreement which wouldn't get the same trading benefits. Almost certainly. In my humble opinion. :-)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:But Froman is talking bollocking. The US would sign the UK up on the terms it has with the EU. There's far too much tied up between the UK & US and the negotiation mechanics are already in existence.

Either we'd have the same terms as the EU with no input to those terms or we'd have a separate agreement which wouldn't get the same trading benefits. Almost certainly. In my humble opinion. :-)
Trade through us - we have free trade with them! Or has Imperial Preference lapsed? :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Then we'd have to take your terms... :-)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Nothing humble about them Worthy. Just correct.

Why would the US decide to give us notably worse (or better) terms than the EU ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:16 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Why would the US decide to give us notably worse (or better) terms than the EU ?
because they could. we'd have lost our leverage. the US is not a charity!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:20 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

because they could. we'd have lost our leverage. the US is not a charity!
Correct. Much less clout as a go-it-alone. Much more overhead maintaining Agreements.

I don't sell the same things for the same price to all customers. It's not a Supermarket, It's a super market, Discounting models generally apply to volume too on economies of scale etc,

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:23 pm

^ In your exceedingly humble opinions I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^ In your exceedingly humble opinions I guess.
Nothing humble. Just correct. 8)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:27 pm

well - ours and the (not insignificant on this subject) opinion of the U.S. Trade Representative and former Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:37 pm

thebish wrote:
well - ours and the (not insignificant on this subject) opinion of the U.S. Trade Representative and former Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economic Affairs...
... otherwise known as "the guy butting in for no obvious reason." or "the bloke talking out of his arse".

IMO, of course.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
... otherwise known as "the guy butting in for no obvious reason." or "the bloke talking out of his arse".

IMO, of course.
because future trade arrangements between the US and the UK are not in any way the business of the US Trade Representative? yeah - got that! :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:03 pm

I thought this was about the EU and Migrants? And here's you humble three going on about Us and the US!. Hoboh'll have a heart attack... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I thought this was about the EU and Migrants? And here's you humble three going on about Us and the US!. Hoboh'll have a heart attack... :wink:
In the unfortunate event of such a terrible thing happening - Hoboh could rest assired that he could experince said cardiac incident in any country of the European Economic Area and be assured of state-funded medical treatment! What a glorious thing European Economic cooperation is! 8)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:47 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I thought this was about the EU and Migrants? And here's you humble three going on about Us and the US!. Hoboh'll have a heart attack... :wink:
In the unfortunate event of such a terrible thing happening - Hoboh could rest assired that he could experince said cardiac incident in any country of the European Economic Area and be assured of state-funded medical treatment! What a glorious thing European Economic cooperation is! 8)
Nicely turned, very deft.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください