General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:...there guests, Monty? Demerit. (suffering seasonal stress syndrome no doubt).
I'm not sure you read the sentence correctly - I'll expand a bit
"a bit like people who live near airports never hear the plane landing, while there [in these houses near the airport] guests think there has been an earthquake."

:wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:...there guests, Monty? Demerit. (suffering seasonal stress syndrome no doubt).
"a bit like people who live near airports never hear the plane landing, while there [in these houses near the airport] guests think there has been an earthquake."

:wink:
I reckon that it's missing a comma, then. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
"a bit like people who live near airports never hear the plane landing, while there [in these houses near the airport] guests think there has been an earthquake.":wink:
Whilst normally having the greatest respect for your command of grammar Monty, I reckon you wrapped that in a load of waffle. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 pm

That's a bloody good try, Monty, but it won't wash. :smile: It is understood that one prefers to leave the personal out of postings, however it is obvious that one's ignoring of the 'i' in certain words is simply slly. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:37 pm

:D
People have sometimes said I should have been a lawyer, though I doubt it was a compliment (or is it complement, Dujon?).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 pm

It was a grand effort at a save!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:49 pm

We had ASDA FM when I worked there, it was the usual pop stuff during the day but as the night wore on they used to play some other stuff which was a bit better. I suppose I mean Oasis there but well after a day of Westlife it was pleasing to hear the miserable sod Gallagher.

Just can't handle Christmas songs at all. I am a grinch when it comes to Christmas but the main problem is that they're a) almost all the same and b) almost all awful.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Had a quick go at some sample questions for this famous PISA exam which is in the news. According to the green box only 3% of 15 year olds in the UK can answer questions like question six, and apart from in China that's a quite common score. It doesn't seem that hard to me, so basically it means kids are idiots and the Chinese salt mines await them.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Athers wrote:Had a quick go at some sample questions for this famous PISA exam which is in the news. According to the green box only 3% of 15 year olds in the UK can answer questions like question six, and apart from in China that's a quite common score. It doesn't seem that hard to me, so basically it means kids are idiots and the Chinese salt mines await them.

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/test/form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to try this with young Miss GtE later. She's 12 and I'm sure she'll do this easily.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Wife bought the dog a new water bowl today; shiny stainless steel thing. After tea he came in the back, looked at the new bowl and started growling at it. Wife tried to tempt him to drink, no chance. He kept on growling till she got his old plastic one back out then drank the lot. Dumb animals? Don't you believe it. :wink:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Wife bought the dog a new water bowl today; shiny stainless steel thing. After tea he came in the back, looked at the new bowl and started growling at it. Wife tried to tempt him to drink, no chance. He kept on growling till she got his old plastic one back out then drank the lot. Dumb animals? Don't you believe it. :wink:
Was it shiny enough to see himself in it? I was thinking if he saw the reflection he may have thought it was another dog.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 pm

No. Ours does the same... she'll happily drink out of a ceramic one that's so shiny white you can photograph her reflection, but just will not have the Sainsbury's stainless steel bowl which has a brushed metal finish and therefore no reflections.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Wife bought the dog a new water bowl today; shiny stainless steel thing. After tea he came in the back, looked at the new bowl and started growling at it. Wife tried to tempt him to drink, no chance. He kept on growling till she got his old plastic one back out then drank the lot. Dumb animals? Don't you believe it. :wink:
:lol: sounds like my dog - scared of absolutely anything new!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Athers wrote:Had a quick go at some sample questions for this famous PISA exam which is in the news. According to the green box only 3% of 15 year olds in the UK can answer questions like question six, and apart from in China that's a quite common score. It doesn't seem that hard to me, so basically it means kids are idiots and the Chinese salt mines await them.

I did them all and they seemed pretty easy. The level six one, broken down, said Helen rode 7 kms in 15 mins. What was her average speed? Granted you had to add two figures to get the 7 and another two to get the 15, but it's not rocket science. Multiplying 7 by 4 could be the tricky part. Only 4% of students generally got the answer of 28 Km/h.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 pm

I'd like to see a full paper because they do seem really easy. Question 3 for instance. Only 76% of the mad-for-learning Koreans and 55% of the UK students are able to answer questions such as, "Which is the lower number: 1.79 or 1.783?"

Maybe you have to get all the questions in a particular level correct to pass, and it's easy to slip up here and there in exams?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am

Athers wrote:I'd like to see a full paper because they do seem really easy. Question 3 for instance. Only 76% of the mad-for-learning Koreans and 55% of the UK students are able to answer questions such as, "Which is the lower number: 1.79 or 1.783?"

Maybe you have to get all the questions in a particular level correct to pass, and it's easy to slip up here and there in exams?
The important thing may be to not rush which people are tempted to do under pressure.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Was it shiny enough to see himself in it? I was thinking if he saw the reflection he may have thought it was another dog.
Dog bowl adventures, part two. In an effort to get our Alf to drink from the shiny new bowl, the wife put the two bowls side by side but filled only the new one and left his blue plastic one empty. Not long afterwards a series of growls told us it hadn't worked. He wanted none of that new-fangled stuff. Now he's back drinking happily from his old bowl and the new one's been consigned to the garage (along with other failed canine experiments). Dogs...!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Cats are worse. If they don't like their litter tray, or you change the type of litter, they just go down the dirty protest route.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:31 pm

My cat will not ever drink out of the water bowl we leave out for him, instead he jumps in the sink, drinks out of puddles or occasionally (as long as it is not to hot) jumps in the bath before the soap is added. Never thought at cat would be so fond of getting soaked.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:36 pm

some cats really like water, like Turkish Vans (a breed of cat, not an Istanbul Transit)