fight the flab

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: fight the flab

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just 2 lbs this week. That's another bag of sugar though. :)

there's no "just" about it! I was fecking thrilled to step on the scales today and see that I am back in the zone and have lost a whole 2lbs this week (having been down to 1lb loss for a couple of weeks!)

:oyea:
Well done you. There'll be nothing left of you in a bit :)

I'm off to Belgium later today until Friday. The restaurant of the hotel I'm booked into is actually a catering college where Belgium's top restaurants send their aspiring young chefs for training. The nosebag is so fantastic that there's a chance of it actually making a man's bollocks tingle.

I'm doubting that I'll have much sheddage to report next week, and then I'll blame Bobo for giving me the heads-up on the place in the first place. :)
I suspect your nomadic travelling-for-work lifestyle makes the weight loss and keeping to a regular regime/programme a whole feck-load harder than it is for me!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm off to Belgium later today until Friday. The restaurant of the hotel I'm booked into is actually a catering college where Belgium's top restaurants send their aspiring young chefs for training. The nosebag is so fantastic that there's a chance of it actually making a man's bollocks tingle.

I'm doubting that I'll have much sheddage to report next week, and then I'll blame Bobo for giving me the heads-up on the place in the first place. :)
My older son, having eaten and drink his fill in Munich, is now in Brussels. He posted the following pictures in Facebook under the heading "Waffles and Chocolate and beer, Oh My!" Good luck, Bruce.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just 2 lbs this week. That's another bag of sugar though. :)

there's no "just" about it! I was fecking thrilled to step on the scales today and see that I am back in the zone and have lost a whole 2lbs this week (having been down to 1lb loss for a couple of weeks!)

:oyea:
Well done you. There'll be nothing left of you in a bit :)

I believe .... I certainly hope ... this is the first time I've been accused, even second hand, of making a man's bollox tingle.

Otherwise ... I'm very proud to have introduced you to the place.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote: Otherwise ... I'm very proud to have introduced you to the place.
Well that was a fun journey. Good grief!

Aye, I've stayed in worse. :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 pm

↑↑↑ Go on. Tell the gawping public the rate per night for that little piece of luxury.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 am

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑ Go on. Tell the gawping public the rate per night for that little piece of luxury.
It's only €85 a night. It costs that to stay pretty much anywhere.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:19 am

A lb, which I'm actually quite surprised about.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

unexpectedly lost just over a pund this week - which officially and for the first time in many, many years, means that I am now assessed BMI-wise as having a healthy weight!!! :D

2stone gone!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 pm

I've always considered myself to be well to the right of you, but this is ridiculous :D

Very well done, a great achievement. :oyea:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 pm

cheers bruce - and you still lost this week despite the hotels and restaurants!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:12 am

Only 1.2 lbs this week, but that's 20 lbs lost to date, so still heading in the right direction. :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Only 1.2 lbs this week, but that's 20 lbs lost to date, so still heading in the right direction. :)

20lbs?? that's nearly one and a half STONE!! :pissed:

knocked off 2lbs this week - putting me into the eleven-stones-something category (just) - by which I mean, a weight that begins with 11 rather than 12...

6lbs to go - then I should probably stop... (3 or 4 weeks?)
then I'll buy new trousers...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:25 pm

weigh-day today... three-quarters of a pound lost.. did no aerobic exercise last week - but continued with the body-weight strength exercises... am up to 20 press-ups (yeah - I know - not that impressive!) 100 sit-ups (I'm impressed with that!) and 50 squats... so - the slow-down in weight loss is obviously simply massive muscle-mass building! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:30 pm

You'll look like Lou Ferrigno :D

Only a pound for me, but the running seems to have paid for the weekend, which is fair enough.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:17 pm

thebish wrote:weigh-day today... three-quarters of a pound lost.. did no aerobic exercise last week - but continued with the body-weight strength exercises... am up to 20 press-ups (yeah - I know - not that impressive!) 100 sit-ups (I'm impressed with that!) and 50 squats... so - the slow-down in weight loss is obviously simply massive muscle-mass building! :D
Are those numbers all-in-one-go?

If you're finding situps are too easy you can make them harder, some ideas here... if you do this kind of thing one after the other without resting it's a bit like cardio. You can mix the situps up with the "heel touches" so instead of just being a linear up-and-down it's two different motions. If the heel touches she's doing in the video are too easy you can do a similar thing holding some kind of weight (a dumbell, kettlebell or medicine ball).
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:weigh-day today... three-quarters of a pound lost.. did no aerobic exercise last week - but continued with the body-weight strength exercises... am up to 20 press-ups (yeah - I know - not that impressive!) 100 sit-ups (I'm impressed with that!) and 50 squats... so - the slow-down in weight loss is obviously simply massive muscle-mass building! :D
Are those numbers all-in-one-go?

If you're finding situps are too easy you can make them harder, some ideas here... if you do this kind of thing one after the other without resting it's a bit like cardio. You can mix the situps up with the "heel touches" so instead of just being a linear up-and-down it's two different motions. If the heel touches she's doing in the video are too easy you can do a similar thing holding some kind of weight (a dumbell, kettlebell or medicine ball).
errr.. no! I do the press-ups maybe twice a day (morning and evening - sometimes only morning!), the squats around lunchtime and the sit-ups (crunches?) in two batches of 50 separated by 1min rest-time just before collapsing into bed! (I'm not at the stage of wanting to make them any harder yet! 8) - but I will try your suggestions one day...

I like the body-weight exercises cos it doesn't involve equipment (though I am using one of those roll-bar abdo machines for the sit-ups - I find it puts less strain on my back and neck) and so can be done anywhere or anytime...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:00 pm

thebish wrote:errr.. no! I do the press-ups maybe twice a day (morning and evening - sometimes only morning!), the squats around lunchtime and the sit-ups (crunches?) in two batches of 50 separated by 1min rest-time just before collapsing into bed! (I'm not at the stage of wanting to make them any harder yet! 8) - but I will try your suggestions one day...

I like the body-weight exercises cos it doesn't involve equipment (though I am using one of those roll-bar abdo machines for the sit-ups - I find it puts less strain on my back and neck) and so can be done anywhere or anytime...
I'd say 20 pushups in one set is pretty good! Instead of trying to do more reps at the same time you could try 3x10 splitting it up like you do with the crunches. If you want to do more just add an extra set of 10, or do 3x11 3x12 and work up that way.

Another tricep workout with no equipment needed is the chair dip, works the tricep from a different angle. All the exercises you're doing are great but varying the exercises slightly is going to work the muscles better as opposed to making you really good at one particular motion.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:errr.. no! I do the press-ups maybe twice a day (morning and evening - sometimes only morning!), the squats around lunchtime and the sit-ups (crunches?) in two batches of 50 separated by 1min rest-time just before collapsing into bed! (I'm not at the stage of wanting to make them any harder yet! 8) - but I will try your suggestions one day...

I'd say 20 pushups in one set is pretty good! Instead of trying to do more reps at the same time you could try 3x10 splitting it up like you do with the crunches. If you want to do more just add an extra set of 10, or do 3x11 3x12 and work up that way.

Another tricep workout with no equipment needed is the chair dip, works the tricep from a different angle. All the exercises you're doing are great but varying the exercises slightly is going to work the muscles better as opposed to making you really good at one particular motion.
cheers! :D i reckon you're right - i have a routine somewhere of about 10 different body-weight variations that i thought i'd work towards...

one of them is the chair dip!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Have a look at the Legendary Abs programme Bish, you can get it online and print it off for free these days. It works.

Vary the press-ups by doing a set of 'normal' press ups, followed by a set with your thumbs and index fingers touching and a set with your feet raised on a chair or bed behind you. I apologise in advance to Mrs Bish for the swearing the second set may cause.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Have a look at the Legendary Abs programme Bish, you can get it online and print it off for free these days. It works.
have you got legendary Abs? :D

I think what I have might even be that - or one of its children!