Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:What's a grass roof?
What do you think a grass roof is? Its a roof made out of grass... Straw to be exact... unfortunately as it lasts less time which when you're talking £25k a pop to get the roof re-done is not ideal... That however is for a future "today I am angry about" post...
Just because you said 'grass' as opposed to 'straw' I wondered if you some kind of turf and growing grass insulation like they do in places like Iceland... which would have been interesting!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:
What do you think a grass roof is? Its a roof made out of grass... Straw to be exact... unfortunately as it lasts less time which when you're talking £25k a pop to get the roof re-done is not ideal... That however is for a future "today I am angry about" post...
Just because you said 'grass' as opposed to 'straw' I wondered if you some kind of turf and growing grass insulation like they do in places like Iceland... which would have been interesting!
or a Spanish cave house.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote: What do you think a grass roof is? Its a roof made out of grass... Straw to be exact... unfortunately as it lasts less time which when you're talking £25k a pop to get the roof re-done is not ideal... That however is for a future "today I am angry about" post...The walls do contain horse hair though...
This is one of three thatched roof houses I know of in Westhoughton, D.L.H. Don't know who owns it now but it used to belong to a demolition contractor mate of Fred Dibnah's. The other two were owned at one time by Franny Lee and a business partner of his. As you say, no tuppence halfpenny job to re-roof.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Insurance premium costs a bob or too as well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm

jaffka wrote:Insurance premium costs a bob or too as well.
Aye, easy target for marauding Vikings to fire blazing arrows at. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

You might as well build a roof out of petrol.

They do look cool though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Attractive auditors at work this week.

Rawrrrrrrr 8)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:55 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Green roofs are turning up all over North America these days, though on top of a fairly solid roof. The old sod hut of the pioneer is rather scarcer.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm

The new Muse album being nowhere near as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:10 pm

truewhite15 wrote:The new Muse album being nowhere near as bad as I thought it was gonna be.
Hmm...unless he's stopped wailing like a banshee, then i'm out.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Australia's Federal Parliament House has a grass roof, though it's one of the 'over concrete' ones as mentioned by Monty.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Dujon wrote:Australia's Federal Parliament House has a grass roof, though it's one of the 'over concrete' ones as mentioned by Monty.

So, a crock of style-over-substance envirnmentalist shite then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46 pm

I would suggest that it actually increases the heat efficiency of the building, and decreases run off water (the scourge of our concreted over areas).

Bloody environmentalists, making stuff better and things.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Grass and straw are two entirely different things. If DHL's walls contain hair then they presumably contain animal shit as well. That means that he lives in a dungallow :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 pm

He always was a shithouse.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm

[Bobo and M'Lud] I suspect a bit of each. The building itself I quite like. Mind you, I like the old Parliament House just as much. The old one, unfortunately, finally out grew its practicality - lack of space, functionality etc.

Yes, the grassed roof was, in theory, a good idea for internal climate control. I do though wonder at what cost this has come. It has to be maintained (mowing, fertilising, weeding and other gardening tasks) which, in this day and age, involves using fossil fuels and machinery. I tend to the thought that the waste of resources in keeping the place habitable is worse than just shaving it. Perhaps a small flock of merinos might reduce the Houses' carbon imprint. NO! The methane, the excrement, the affect on the environment of producing drenching products and anti-fly sprays and running crutching sessions.

Anyway, I like the look of houses with thatched roofs but I would not like the expense of living in one.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Perhaps its symbolic grass, Dujon? You know "I just dare you to park some tanks here...".

No?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 am

Dujon wrote:[Bobo and M'Lud] I suspect a bit of each. The building itself I quite like. Mind you, I like the old Parliament House just as much. The old one, unfortunately, finally out grew its practicality - lack of space, functionality etc.

Yes, the grassed roof was, in theory, a good idea for internal climate control. I do though wonder at what cost this has come. It has to be maintained (mowing, fertilising, weeding and other gardening tasks) which, in this day and age, involves using fossil fuels and machinery. I tend to the thought that the waste of resources in keeping the place habitable is worse than just shaving it. Perhaps a small flock of merinos might reduce the Houses' carbon imprint. NO! The methane, the excrement, the affect on the environment of producing drenching products and anti-fly sprays and running crutching sessions.

Anyway, I like the look of houses with thatched roofs but I would not like the expense of living in one.
Certainly in the UK they are known as brown roofs. They have a mixture of mainly low growing plants and weeds rather than grass. The manufactures claim they are are very low maintenance and shouldn't need any cutting or feeding. If in a drought they just grow browner and then will regrow when it rains.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Grass and straw are two entirely different things. If DHL's walls contain hair then they presumably contain animal shit as well. That means that he lives in a dungallow :)
:mrgreen:
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 am

malcd1 wrote:Certainly in the UK they are known as brown roofs. They have a mixture of mainly low growing plants and weeds rather than grass. The manufactures claim they are are very low maintenance and shouldn't need any cutting or feeding. If in a drought they just grow browner and then will regrow when it rains.
Well, there's one on the roof of a new building in the ludicrously named ... and ludicrous per-se ... Glyndwr University (previously Wrexham Kwik-Save). It has needed re-upholstery several times and seems to be a permanently brown state & believe me that's not due to a lack of rain. There is now work is required to repair some leaks and there is concern that the extra weight when wet has not been calculated properly.

Way to go with the evrionmental concerns.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".