General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:21 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
It's more pity, to be honest. :wink:
Fair enough...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:31 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It was the sort of live rolling coverage you might expect when Parliament is being stormed by gun wielding fanatics.

no.... (and i really don't know why people watch rolling news coverage or any of the 24hr news coverage) - that's what rolling news coverage is like for everything...

court cases - people standing outside courts where NOTHING has happened
royal events - people interviewing other people who know nothing and nothing has happened
football transfer day
a shooting incident

they are ALL a big bag of hanging about and cutting to reporters who know nothing and bystanders who also don't know anything but who once had summat similar happen to a relative in a dream...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:37 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
It was the sort of live rolling coverage you might expect when Parliament is being stormed by gun wielding fanatics.

no.... (and i really don't know why people watch rolling news coverage or any of the 24hr news coverage) - that's what rolling news coverage is like for everything...

court cases - people standing outside courts where NOTHING has happened
royal events - people interviewing other people who know nothing and nothing has happened
football transfer day
a shooting incident

they are ALL a big bag of hanging about and cutting to reporters who know nothing and bystanders who also don't know anything but who once had summat similar happen to a relative in a dream...
How very dare you. The Odemwingie rolling news coverage should have won the pulitzer prize at the very least...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 am

why do you watch it? are you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, bored?? ;-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am

thebish wrote:why do you watch it? are you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, bored?? ;-)
Yes. No, but.

Picture the scene. After loooooooooooong day at the office furiously ranting at all and sundry on the TW forum, man goes out with dog for looooooooong walk over mountains and through woods to reach a haven of peace and tranquility where he imbibes two or three pints of nectar before trudging (hopefully remembering to take dog with him) through the nightfall and rain, howling wind and lashing sleet, to his house, hearth and home where his good wife is ready to bung them both (and the dog) a plateful of warm steaming food.
Now ask the question, whilst balancing plate of warm steaming fud on knees with dog contentedly curled up round feet, and neither wife nor husband really wanting to discuss their ever so loooooooooooooong boring days in office and school respectively, what better way to have some background noise than by turning on the TV and listening to the idiots who inhabit tvland babbling inconsequentially on? The drone alone is enough to send me contentedly off to bed ready to face another loooooooooong and weary day at the office coalface.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:49 am

Anyway be relieved ... Mhosa Samyel of the National Theatre Trust assured us that "... fortunately collapses of ceilings and plasterwork from theatres are very rare."

Phew.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:50 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:why do you watch it? are you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, bored?? ;-)
Yes. No, but.

Picture the scene. After loooooooooooong day at the office furiously ranting at all and sundry on the TW forum, man goes out with dog for looooooooong walk over mountains and through woods to reach a haven of peace and tranquility where he imbibes two or three pints of nectar before trudging (hopefully remembering to take dog with him) through the nightfall and rain, howling wind and lashing sleet, to his house, hearth and home where his good wife is ready to bung them both (and the dog) a plateful of warm steaming food.
Now ask the question, whilst balancing plate of warm steaming fud on knees with dog contentedly curled up round feet, and neither wife nor husband really wanting to discuss their ever so loooooooooooooong boring days in office and school respectively, what better way to have some background noise than by turning on the TV and listening to the idiots who inhabit tvland babbling inconsequentially on? The drone alone is enough to send me contentedly off to bed ready to face another loooooooooong and weary day at the office coalface.

I see a theme developing here.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:27 am

bobo the clown wrote:Anyway be relieved ... Mhosa Samyel of the National Theatre Trust assured us that "... fortunately collapses of ceilings and plasterwork from theatres are very rare."

Phew.

I was once at the Queens Hall Leeds, about 81/82? the same night as the BWFC Team. John McGovern had taken them to watch AC/DC, to show them what teamwork/working for each other can do iirc. At the finale, they let these big feck off cannons fire when playing 'For those about to rock' I think it was. Half the ceiling came down then. A week or two later, AC/DC did an interview in 'Sounds', all pictured in BWFC Sweatshirts.
Anyway, there were no 'survivors' walking around outside in shiny silver blankets then.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

^ that's because we did news properly then - we didn't have the expectation that news would be live and 24hr rolling - thus needing summat new to be said or for there to be a new development every 2mins.... back then we were happy to wait until 10pm and listen to to a properly distilled and well thought-out presentation of what was actually news.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 am

thebish wrote:^ that's because we did news properly then - we didn't have the expectation that news would be live and 24hr rolling - thus needing summat new to be said or for there to be a new development every 2mins.... back then we were happy to wait until 10pm and listen to to a properly distilled and well thought-out presentation of what was actually news.

I think the newspaper headline was summat like 'Master Blasters Cover Fan's in Plaster' or somesuch nonsense. Some people dodged a few big bits of cornice and ceiling rose which had come down, and I remember seeing a girl with a nosebleed, but I think she'd had a row with her boyfriend or taken too much speed. Some others had a sprinkling of dust and splinters on their heads. End of realy. If it was today, it'd be dominating the BBC for days to come.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:44 am

Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:^ that's because we did news properly then - we didn't have the expectation that news would be live and 24hr rolling - thus needing summat new to be said or for there to be a new development every 2mins.... back then we were happy to wait until 10pm and listen to to a properly distilled and well thought-out presentation of what was actually news.

I think the newspaper headline was summat like 'Master Blasters Cover Fan's in Plaster' or somesuch nonsense. Some people dodged a few big bits of cornice and ceiling rose which had come down, and I remember seeing a girl with a nosebleed, but I think she'd had a row with her boyfriend or taken too much speed. Some others had a sprinkling of dust and splinters on their heads. End of realy. If it was today, it'd be dominating the BBC for days to come.
no - you're losing the plot - the common consensus seems to be that an event in Leeds would get no coverage at all nowadays!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:45 am

I don't see how you can slag them off both for not knowing what was going on and for giving so much time to something not that insignificant. As others have said, it's the nature of 24 hour news.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am

Prufrock wrote:I don't see how you can slag them off both for not knowing what was going on and for giving so much time to something not that insignificant. As others have said, it's the nature of 24 hour news.
Stop being so fecking reasonable... just stop it. Or at least have the decency to hyberbolerate it up a bit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:55 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I don't see how you can slag them off both for not knowing what was going on and for giving so much time to something not that insignificant. As others have said, it's the nature of 24 hour news.
Stop being so fecking reasonable... just stop it. Or at least have the decency to hyberbolerate it up a bit.

:shock:

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

Going out now to do some shopping. Hope I'm safe out there. Mind you, no major incidents here since 'Dog bites car, driver unhurt'................

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:58 am

Il Pirate wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Aye. :wink: Trendy or what? 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Aye. :wink: Trendy or what? 8)
I think to say that would be to exaggerate a little tbh.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:10 am

Didn't one of the stands collapse during a Pink Floyd gig at Earl's Court, once?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Didn't one of the stands collapse during a Pink Floyd gig at Earl's Court, once?

Yes.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/concerts/ ... eport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Top story on intranet today. Cable thief caught when he got into the unmarked police car which was investigating the incident, believing it to be his getaway taxi.

Best comments on the story

"Look, when I said you should get in the car with the copper......"

"Fare Cop guv"
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;