Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Ale

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:34 am

apologies, i interpreted Bruces ‘any ideas?’ As ‘which pub in Bury?’ which led me to reply with the Trackside as its the only pub in Bury (town centre) that does decent ale - and it is on the platform of the ELR station.

The only Eagle & Child i know still open is in Ramsbottom, up near the turn off for the Fishermans. Meant to be decent. But I had no idea what the ale was?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm not a fan of Thwaites at the best of times, and Big Ben is towards the dark tangy old fashioned end of the spectrum, whereas I prefer lighter Golden IPA types
Should you ever find yourself in the vicinity then I implore you to call in at The Assheton Arms in the village of Downham and try a pint of their Thwaites Wainwright. It's quite possible that it'll make your bollocks tingle, it's that good. Tried it in many other places since and it's always paled by comparison.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
The only Eagle & Child i know still open is in Ramsbottom, up near the turn off for the Fishermans. Meant to be decent. But I had no idea what the ale was?
No worries, Chief. Yes, that's the one, up by the quarry. Apparently they do a very decent nosebag as well - though whether it's worth driving past The Shoulder for or not I've no idea.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm not a fan of Thwaites at the best of times, and Big Ben is towards the dark tangy old fashioned end of the spectrum, whereas I prefer lighter Golden IPA types
Should you ever find yourself in the vicinity then I implore you to call in at The Assheton Arms in the village of Downham and try a pint of their Thwaites Wainwright. It's quite possible that it'll make your bollocks tingle, it's that good. Tried it in many other places since and it's always paled by comparison.
Not been there, I'll add it to the list.
As for Thwaites, I've probably done them a disservice, it's OK in Lancashire but it doesn't travel very well and usually I only ever see the one with the red pump clip which I find a bit boring. Little Bewdy and Wainwright's however, I have had at a couple of beer festivals [Derby and Burton] and love them.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Wainwright's is my absolute fav. Blackburn was good for sommat at least! Never been to th'Asserton Arms, and shant be doing, not bloody ruining it!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Big fan of the Wainwrights too. They sell a nice pint of it at the much mentioned Fishermans Retreat. I've always got some int fridge too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:05 am

Prufrock wrote:Wainwright's is my absolute fav. Blackburn was good for sommat at least! Never been to th'Asserton Arms, and shant be doing, not bloody ruining it!
You do right, young bull. Mate of mine lives in a village, Rosliston, just outside Burton - you can pretty much see Marston's brewery from there. Both village boozers sell the most incredible Pedigree - damn stuff goes down like silk. Never, ever tastes even remotely the same when bought around here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Well I shant be going there either, coz I bloody love Pedigree too :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Just went in the brewdog pub near Leeds . Drank the punk ipa very nice. Place was a bit tooself consciously cool but I liked it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Been drinking Badger's Golden Glory a bit recently. Absolutely love it.. Sell it in the co-op and sometimes have it at 3 for a fiver

This is its description, not sure if it's pretentious as fook, or just having a laugh:

"Gloriously peachy. On a crisp winter's day, a cloudless sky fills the Dorset coastline with sunshine. Above a White-tailed Eagle can be seen soaring above the sea - the silhouette of its majestic wings a sign that Spring is near. This is the perfect time to enjoy the deliciously balanced peach and melon flavours of this award-winning classic. An ideal complement to sticky bbq ribs or an indulgent vanilla cheesecake. See - Amber bronze. Smell - Peaches, nectarines, floral. Taste - Zesty, peaches, balanced sweetness"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:Been drinking Badger's Golden Glory a bit recently. Absolutely love it.. Sell it in the co-op and sometimes have it at 3 for a fiver

This is its description, not sure if it's pretentious as fook, or just having a laugh:

"Gloriously peachy. On a crisp winter's day, a cloudless sky fills the Dorset coastline with sunshine. Above a White-tailed Eagle can be seen soaring above the sea - the silhouette of its majestic wings a sign that Spring is near. This is the perfect time to enjoy the deliciously balanced peach and melon flavours of this award-winning classic. An ideal complement to sticky bbq ribs or an indulgent vanilla cheesecake. See - Amber bronze. Smell - Peaches, nectarines, floral. Taste - Zesty, peaches, balanced sweetness"
Sounds like you're buggered unless you get your ass down to Dorset and wait for the White-Tailed Eagles to me boris.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Bolton Beer Festival starts a week today.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Bolton Beer Festival starts a week today.
Did you read that that some absolute nice person had passed a bunch of fake £20's at the Edgworth one?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Did you read that that some absolute tw*t had passed a bunch of fake £20's at the Edgworth one?
No I didn't. Charity event as well?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Did you read that that some absolute tw*t had passed a bunch of fake £20's at the Edgworth one?
Yep. Cashed four x £20 notes for pasties costing £1 apiece. Of course, those on the pastie stall weren't all that used to handling cash and presumably weren't expecting to have to be on the lookout for some nice person scamming them. In fact I could happily transfer this to the angry thread as it makes my piss boil.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yep. Cashed four x £20 notes for pasties costing £1 apiece. Of course, those on the pastie stall weren't all that used to handling cash and presumably weren't expecting to have to be on the lookout for some tw*t scamming them. In fact I could happily transfer this to the angry thread as it makes my piss boil.
Complete cnuts.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 am

went boozing in a Brewdog last night, that Punk IPA is absolute nectar!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:went boozing in a Brewdog last night, that Punk IPA is absolute nectar!
The only one I've tried is the Ponyclub IPA. That's tremendous..

but... it cost me £4.75 for a 330ml can. :shock:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 pm

boltonboris wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:went boozing in a Brewdog last night, that Punk IPA is absolute nectar!
The only one I've tried is the Ponyclub IPA. That's tremendous..

but... it cost me £4.75 for a 330ml can. :shock:
Had never heard of it til I went to the Leeds one a few weeks ago. Pricey but very good.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 pm

I was in Bob's Smithy on Saturday night.

The Flat Cap is just yum. :pissed: