Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 pm

FD wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:"If you don't play games, you're not just missing out, you're wilfully ignoring the most rapidly evolving creative medium in human history!"

:pray:
I both agree and disagree with this.

For every moment of exceptional creativity, bordering on "art" (see for example, Limbo or Heavy Rain) there are ten games based on teenage fantasy, full of pretence that it's adult, where in practice it's a teenagers view of adult.
I suppose so FD but thats taking the line that all "creativity" or "art" has to be heavy and serious and "adult" orientated.

Which I don't think is necessarily true.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm

I just dont like things masquerading as "adult" when they are in truth, lowest common denominator.

Anyway, we'd best stop...Grandad Bruce doesn't like us talking about "computer games". :mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:02 pm

FD wrote:I just dont like things masquerading as "adult" when they are in truth, lowest common denominator.

Anyway, we'd best stop...Grandad Bruce doesn't like us talking about "computer games". :mrgreen:
this is the angry thread and were making him angry - what the problem? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm

FD wrote:I just dont like things masquerading as "adult" when they are in truth, lowest common denominator.

Yes, and if you bring that sort of conversation around here again I shall stick a bloody knife through it! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Bullsh*t job applications.

Currently applying for real jobs, and part time ones simultaneously. For one shop assistant online form it asks to be provided with your 'highest educational acheivment'. Degree is not there. No Bachelor's Degree, no undergraduate degree, so I'm stuck with 'other' and then about another 8 boxes to fill out, and yet, options in there drop down list include a 'Lukion Paastodistus', and, and I haven't dropped anything on my keyboard, a 'Ylioppilastutkinto'. This company apparently thinks in this day and age of more and more graduates, they are more likely to get a finnish scrabble high score than someone with a degree. Hmmm.
Sod a real job. What do you like doing? What are your hobbies? What excites you?...........Think about it; could you expand on your thoughts, enough to make a career out of them/it? Think long and hard young man, before offering your soul for an easy quid.....................................Cos they will steal your pension....................
How do I apply to be a speech writer :D?

Do you have experience? One of the best places is the House of Commons. Most speech writing work is undertaken with a research element, obviously you need to know what you're talking about.
Back to the drawing board eh Pru?

:mrgreen:
Walked into that one eh?! Who asked you anyway, d*ckhead (see, I have one of those qualities needed, I'm very articu-whatsit, you know, have a good vocabulary) :grin:

As for experience, erm...no. I have a classics degree though, and seem to be unique amongst those that do in that I like Cicero. It's always been the dream job but I have no idea how to go about it. I tried googling it but it wasn't particularly helpful!
Last edited by Prufrock on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:"If you don't play games, you're not just missing out, you're wilfully ignoring the most rapidly evolving creative medium in human history!":pray:
Just occasionally (when at my daughters) I get dragged into playing daft Wii games. I'm always glad when it's time to go home. Guess I'm just a wilful ignorer and quite happy being one. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Il Pirate wrote: Sod a real job. What do you like doing? What are your hobbies? What excites you?...........Think about it; could you expand on your thoughts, enough to make a career out of them/it? Think long and hard young man, before offering your soul for an easy quid.....................................Cos they will steal your pension....................
How do I apply to be a speech writer :D?

Do you have experience? One of the best places is the House of Commons. Most speech writing work is undertaken with a research element, obviously you need to know what you're talking about.
Back to the drawing board eh Pru?

:mrgreen:
Walked into that one eh?! Who asked you anyway, d*ckhead (see, I have one of those qualities needed, I'm very articu-whatsit, you know, have a good vocabulary) :grin:

As for experience, erm...no. I have a classics degree though, and seem to be unique amongst those that do in that I like Cicero. It's always been the dream job but I have no idea how to go about it. I tried googling it but it wasn't particularly helpful!
Cicero always goes down a storm at PMQ's....

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 am

I won't say that I hate digital games, but the ones I have tried left me cold. Whilst I'm going back quite a few years, most of them were so intense that they were hardly relaxation. After a hard day or week at work then to settle in front of a computer to give me more of the same? Ridiculous. Perhaps some people have boring and stress free work to do - or are addicted to adrenaline?

I do though occasionally fly my little Cessna. Is that a game?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am

Dujon wrote: I do though occasionally fly my little Cessna. Is that a game?
the night before i drove the family back from holiday I spent an hour or so playing mario-kart - which i am crap at, but is passably enjoyable. the next day I drove 4 hours from somerset to London and remarked to my kids that I had just driven non-stop for 4 hrs and not hit any barrels or other vehicles and not left the track - were they not impressed? they said that it wasn't the same as I also hadn't thrown any banana-skins... so i wound down the window and mimed throwing bananas and added comedy mario-kart sound effects - only to have a very irate white-van man give me an earful as he thought I was offering him some kind of an offensive gesture.....

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I do though occasionally fly my little Cessna. Is that a game?
Only if it's a hands off approach, at night, no cat lights, inverted and nil fuel. Hit the tarmac, shake yourself and return to circuit height to have another bash.
Remember, John. A landing is simply a crash you can walk away from.
A good landing is a crash you can walk away from and the aircraft can be used again. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 pm

today I am irrationally incandescent with rage about:

1. Adverts for shops that invite you to seek further details "in store" or suggest that there are many more savings to be had "in store". Quite apart from the fact that it is a SHOP - not a store - it should be "in THE store". I don't say "you'll find me in garden" or "I'll meet you in pub" It's "in THE store", ok?

2. The now widespread use of the word "concerning" to replace "worrying". It's worrying.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:11 pm

thebish wrote:2. The now widespread use of the word "concerning" to replace "worrying". It's worrying.
Concerning this one, should I be saying "Worrying this one"?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:2. The now widespread use of the word "concerning" to replace "worrying". It's worrying.
no - because in this case you are using "concerning" to replace "regarding", not to replace "worrying"....

now you have reminded me how cross I was and sent me absquatulating into a darkened room....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
no - because in this case you are using "concerning" to replace "regarding", not to replace "worrying"....

now you have reminded me how cross I was and sent me absquatulating into a darkened room....
But surely they're not the same anyhow. I would put concerning as need to have regard to, but worrying as something completely different. I actively have to worry about it...

Isn't concern a less aggressive/active/milder form or worry.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 pm

My dog's always trying to concern next door's cat. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

But surely they're not the same anyhow. I would put concerning as need to have regard to, but worrying as something completely different. I actively have to worry about it...

Isn't concern a less aggressive/active/milder form or worry.
I am not saying I am right - just that it annoys me!!

I am happy with "I am concerned about Tango's taste in poetry." or "Matty Taylor's lack of pace concerns me." (though, even then, it sounds like I am saying it "involves" me - which it doesn't!)

what irritates me is the "ing" form of the word at the end of a sentence..

"Taylor's lack of pace is concerning" It kind of sounds unfinished... concerning what?? ahh - you mean "worrying"! 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

thebish wrote: I am happy with "I am concerned about Tango's taste in poetry." "! 8)
I, on the other hand, am not in the least bit worried about yours. It's not a cause for any concern. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote: I am happy with "I am concerned about Tango's taste in poetry." "! 8)
I, on the other hand, am not in the least bit worried about yours. It's not a cause for any concern. :wink:

...as, indeed, it shouldn't be! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am

Why is Steven Nolan allowed on the radio during the day?? feck of back to the late-night graveyard shift you grating, irritating, self-important fecker!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 am

thebish wrote:Why is Steven Nolan allowed on the radio during the day?? feck of back to the late-night graveyard shift you grating, irritating, self-important fecker!
:pray:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families