The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:You should get yourself into field athletics, far more fun. ;)
I once putted the shot 8 metres to fill in a gap on the team. And also high jumped 1.40m. The hammer I managed to heave just about clear of the cage.
Maybe I should stick to to plodding!
the caber is where it's at!
You're an expert on that are you?! :)
at the risk of setting off another benny hill exchange... yes!
Images of you with a great big piece of wood between your thighs now ;)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:17 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:You should get yourself into field athletics, far more fun. ;)
I once putted the shot 8 metres to fill in a gap on the team. And also high jumped 1.40m. The hammer I managed to heave just about clear of the cage.
Maybe I should stick to to plodding!
Only 5cm less then my high jump pb, but then, as GtE will tell you, I'm a short arse.
I'm 6ft 1 and have no excuse. My mate Brian is 6st2 and had jumped 2m 21. Which is ridiculous!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 pm

10k in 49.24. Chuffed to break the 50 minute barrier in this heat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Nice one Pru! :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Aye, well done that man. :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:10k in 49.24. Chuffed to break the 50 minute barrier in this heat.
Well run. Mate did the Coniston half Sun morn - hills, stifling heat and to top it off it was nearly a mile long according to various Garmins! Harsh.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:34 am

Did the Mid Week Road Race league final race last night in St Albans. After my last race in Stevenage where I blew up in the second half I had little to no expectation of this.

However this was a new course from last year, along what was once train track which meant the incline wouldn't be too bad. Anyway I did it in 44:28 which is less than a minute away from my PB. Chuffed!

I'll just write Stevenage off as a bad day at the office

Our club has now avoided relegation two years running (never happened before) and finished second overall in the league.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 pm

Wow! Less than five minutes short of GtE now!

Last night's run has had one draw back in hindsight. I'd bought some new shorts which were swim shorts but didn't look like them. Decided I'd cut the netting out, you know, for 'ease of movement'. Got in feeling good last night, but swiftly began to realise things were not as they should be. A certain burning feeling on account of some heavy chafing in a very personal area. I stuck a plaster on before going in to work today, to stop any further damage. Nipped to Boots for some Sudacrem (other brands are available) on my way home.

First step was removing the plaster. Holy shit feck. A plaster, less than a day old, stuck there. Christ, and women whinge about waxing! Got stuck in with the Sudacrem though, awesome stuff.

Let's just say, if Microsoft's game-console ideas were real, or these tales of remotely accessed webcams, there'd be some very scarred people watching me as I type this!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 am

Prufrock wrote:Wow! Less than five minutes short of GtE now!

Last night's run has had one draw back in hindsight. I'd bought some new shorts which were swim shorts but didn't look like them. Decided I'd cut the netting out, you know, for 'ease of movement'. Got in feeling good last night, but swiftly began to realise things were not as they should be. A certain burning feeling on account of some heavy chafing in a very personal area. I stuck a plaster on before going in to work today, to stop any further damage. Nipped to Boots for some Sudacrem (other brands are available) on my way home.

First step was removing the plaster. Holy shit feck. A plaster, less than a day old, stuck there. Christ, and women whinge about waxing! Got stuck in with the Sudacrem though, awesome stuff.

Let's just say, if Microsoft's game-console ideas were real, or these tales of remotely accessed webcams, there'd be some very scarred people watching me as I type this!
Too much info there!! :shock:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 am

You stuck a plaster on your knackers! :shock:
That was incorrect, the wrong thing to do, highly not recommended.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm

My pb's 43:29 so not quite 5 minutes. :wink:

I've had the chafing before but on the inner thigh and Sudacrem is ABSOLUTELY the best thing for it. Prevention, however is better. Try getting some proper running short tights from Decathlon or Sports Direct. A decent pair should cost £15 to £25. Failing that rub some Vaseline on the area pre-run.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Just got back from a run and had pre season football training yesterday too. Feeling virtuous! Just need to try and add in some kind of regime of stomach exercises now...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

The long road back to fitness is continuing. Managed 4.5 miles tonight at just under 8min miles. Nice surprise as I felt I had quite a bit spare. Damn calf/Achilles was still sore most of the way round but feeling a bit more positive now
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Just need to try and add in some kind of regime of stomach exercises now...
My recent stomach exercises have involved filling it up 'til it's ready to burst. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Just need to try and add in some kind of regime of stomach exercises now...
My recent stomach exercises have involved filling it up 'til it's ready to burst. :oops:
Yes, well I eat too much junk and have had 2 babies at once. My tummy has seen better days :(

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:The long road back to fitness is continuing. Managed 4.5 miles tonight at just under 8min miles. Nice surprise as I felt I had quite a bit spare. Damn calf/Achilles was still sore most of the way round but feeling a bit more positive now
Well done you virtuous lot. Mine has stalled due to a niggly hamstring and the fact my attempted run was hijacked by a mate turning up and forcing me to drink beers and watch the film Parker featuring J.Statham.
I feel the extra day off will be beneficial for the recovery of the hamstring, obviously.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:The long road back to fitness is continuing. Managed 4.5 miles tonight at just under 8min miles. Nice surprise as I felt I had quite a bit spare. Damn calf/Achilles was still sore most of the way round but feeling a bit more positive now
Well done you virtuous lot. Mine has stalled due to a niggly hamstring and the fact my attempted run was hijacked by a mate turning up and forcing me to drink beers and watch the film Parker featuring J.Statham.
I feel the extra day off will be beneficial for the recovery of the hamstring, obviously.
And the beer?! How's that beneficial?! ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Just got back from a run and had pre season football training yesterday too. Feeling virtuous! Just need to try and add in some kind of regime of stomach exercises now...

Nice one GG. Sure you don't need telling how the hardest bit is the getting going again. Keep it going.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Just got back from a run and had pre season football training yesterday too. Feeling virtuous! Just need to try and add in some kind of regime of stomach exercises now...

Nice one GG. Sure you don't need telling how the hardest bit is the getting going again. Keep it going.
Aye, it's really tough getting back into it again, soul destroying how slow you get so quickly when you don't run regularly, but pre season training is a lot of fitness work rather then ball work so pretty tough. Reckon I need to motivate myself to run at the weekend too, to get 3 proper lots of exercise, hopefully get back to running on Tuesdays at the club soon too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
And the beer?! How's that beneficial?! ;)
Incidental! And keep up the good work. Babies are a much better excuse for not training than beer. I'm ashamed!