Winter ashes...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Winter ashes...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 am

Dujon wrote: Back to Eoin Morgan. I have an acquaintance of many years standing whose name is also Eoin. He has a Scottish background (least-ways his mother is a Scot and lives in Scotland) but beyond that I have no idea as to his heritage. I'm guessing, but given Mr Morgan's name I'm assuming that he is from Welsh stock. My acquaintance pronounces his name as we would 'Ian'. The commentators yesterday were calling Mr Morgan 'Owen Morgan'. I am aware that a couple of you live in or close to Wales and some reside in Scotland.

Whilst it's of no consequence I'd be interested in comments from those who know. Jokes about Taffy and Jock will be ignored.
For what it's worth Dujon, Eoin Morgan is actually an Irishman born in Dublin. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 pm

I feel a bout of foot-in-mouth coming on. :oops:

Thanks, gents.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:29 pm

I see England suffered another one day defeat.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm

A big one as well. What a shameful tour.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Don't be too hard on them, LeverEnd. In just about every game the teams have played, England had Australia in trouble. The difference seems to be that Australia managed to squirm its way out of danger but when England were in dire straits they couldn't. Don't ask why it was so as the answer is probably as complex as Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Dujon wrote:Don't be too hard on them, LeverEnd. In just about every game the teams have played, England had Australia in trouble. The difference seems to be that Australia managed to squirm its way out of danger but when England were in dire straits they couldn't. Don't ask why it was so as the answer is probably as complex as Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.
I'm sure they'd agree Dujon. Considering that England were the fancied team by almost all commentators going into it, it's just bizarre. Something has gone very badly wrong and there must be more to it than meets the eye.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dujon wrote: Back to Eoin Morgan. I have an acquaintance of many years standing whose name is also Eoin. He has a Scottish background (least-ways his mother is a Scot and lives in Scotland) but beyond that I have no idea as to his heritage. I'm guessing, but given Mr Morgan's name I'm assuming that he is from Welsh stock. My acquaintance pronounces his name as we would 'Ian'. The commentators yesterday were calling Mr Morgan 'Owen Morgan'. I am aware that a couple of you live in or close to Wales and some reside in Scotland.

Whilst it's of no consequence I'd be interested in comments from those who know. Jokes about Taffy and Jock will be ignored.
For what it's worth Dujon, Eoin Morgan is actually an Irishman born in Dublin. :wink:
Eoin is normally an Irish based bame (as in this case) and us pronounced more or less "Owen".

The Welsh have 'Owen' and the Scots have both Ian and Iain (which I think of as a spelling mistake) as well as the similar Ewan or Euan.

None of which explain our appalling Cricketing displays at present.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:32 am

Dujon wrote:Don't be too hard on them, LeverEnd. In just about every game the teams have played, England had Australia in trouble. The difference seems to be that Australia managed to squirm its way out of danger but when England were in dire straits they couldn't. Don't ask why it was so as the answer is probably as complex as Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.
Do we have any matches left against state teams?
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 pm

No.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 am

All I can say is the Prime Minister's XI must really suck....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 pm

So we have 5 matches left (2 ODI's and 3 twenty20's) and we have to win three of them to equal the record worst (results wise) Ashes series we have ever played. Somehow cant see us winning 3/5. Well done Cooky you must be proud1
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:So we have 5 matches left (2 ODI's and 3 twenty20's) and we have to win three of them to equal the record worst (results wise) Ashes series we have ever played. Somehow cant see us winning 3/5. Well done Cooky you must be proud1
Everybody has a bad spell now and again. We'll get over it. Solutions needed, not victims.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 pm

What would you suggest Tango?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:What would you suggest Tango?
Do the same things but do them better. Stop thinking we're unbeatable, no one is. Times change, things differ.
We got trounced, get over it and get on with it. That's what I'd suggest Dan.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, TANGO. There's no point in throwing tantrums. Look at what Australia managed to do in just a few months. Lost the '13 Ashes and were thumped all over the park by India. Somebody or bodies sat down and had a deep and meaningful discussion. The coach had been replaced just before the Ashes series so it was a matter of player selection and the tactics to be employed. The new coach (Lehmann) has settled in and the tactics organised. We have seen the result.

England has a wealth of cricketing talent, Dan. Now is the time for the England and Wales to have their own chat and a very good look at themselves, the selectors, the coach and the players. In other words, dig up the turf and start from scratch. Dropping players willy-nilly is not the answer but collecting together a team (not a side full of big-heads) is. I hope it happens.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Finally, England beat Australia. A 57 run victory in the fourth one-day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25874455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:02 pm

How did Clarke, Warner, Watson and Haddin get on?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:How did Clarke, Warner, Watson and Haddin get on?
:conf:

You cant pick the opposition. They beat the team that Aussies put out :roll:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:08 pm

You can only beat what's put in front of you. Provided what's put in front of you is half an Australian team. Don't get me wrong, it's better than losing but it's sad this is the biggest celebration we've had!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:You can only beat what's put in front of you. Provided what's put in front of you is half an Australian team. Don't get me wrong, it's better than losing but it's sad this is the biggest celebration we've had!
In the context of the series and tour it doesn't matter. The one day series has already been lost.

Unless you think the Aussies put out a team to lose?