The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

^^ Well they did managed a sentence about £2.6m worth of contaminated pharma. Out of the £660m headline. Which is less than 0.5% of the total.

BOOM

indeed or should we say

boom

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:^^ Well they did managed a sentence about £2.6m worth of contaminated pharma. Out of the £660m headline. Which is less than 0.5% of the total.

BOOM

indeed or should we say

boom
A hell of a lot of the waste is perishable goods, either too long in transit or contaminated by some scruffy, unwashed scrote climbing all over it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Yes too long in transit - absolutely. Here's what the report says about it.
The major influx of refugees fleeing conflict-riven countries in the Middle East has caused disruption to cargo transportation across the continent. Large numbers of refugees surging across national borders has forced the re-imposition of checks at previously open borders in the European Union, delayed or stopped transportation at key choke points, or led to the outright closure of some borders to all traffic. BSI reported border closures or transportation stoppages and slowdowns at ten different European Union borders in three weeks in September, an unprecedented disruption since the EU countries began allowing the free movement of people and goods across borders in 1995.

Some of the most serious interruptions were seen in Calais in northern France. A combination of strikes and migrant activity near the port and Channel Tunnel entrance in Calais resulted in losses of approximately $1 billion for the economy of the United Kingdom, which relies on these facilities for trade with the continent. Losses due to contamination of cargo shipments by stowaways were particularly serious for the pharmaceutical and food industries, with BSI recording one lost shipment of pharmaceuticals valued at $3.9 million. Delays and stoppages in Calais cost UK shippers an estimated $1.2 million and Dutch shippers around $545,000 each day.

The surge of refugees into Europe in September led many countries to re-impose border checks in areas where they had previously allowed free passage of cargo and people. Border checks have resumed at Germany’s border with Austria and the Czech Republic, Slovakia’s border with Hungary, Austria’s border with Hungary, and Norway’s border with Sweden. All of these checks have slowed trade in Europe, leading to mounting costs for shippers. In particular, the checks along Germany’s southern border have hurt trade with Italy, as Italian exports to Germany have been delayed
So the cause of the losses is delayed/more cumbersome border checks being imposed and/or strikes. That would be the same strikes that were reported by the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... unnel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to be costing £250m per day to the UK and had already cost the UK £1Bn in July...

So the Mail had it down to strikes, now the report has been released by BSI, it's down to migrants in the same publication. Wish they'd make their minds up. Actually no, I wish you'd stop believing everything in it that supports your point of view without ever bothering to ask yourself any questions as to its validity.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yes too long in transit - absolutely. Here's what the report says about it.
The major influx of refugees fleeing conflict-riven countries in the Middle East has caused disruption to cargo transportation across the continent. Large numbers of refugees surging across national borders has forced the re-imposition of checks at previously open borders in the European Union, delayed or stopped transportation at key choke points, or led to the outright closure of some borders to all traffic. BSI reported border closures or transportation stoppages and slowdowns at ten different European Union borders in three weeks in September, an unprecedented disruption since the EU countries began allowing the free movement of people and goods across borders in 1995.

Some of the most serious interruptions were seen in Calais in northern France. A combination of strikes and migrant activity near the port and Channel Tunnel entrance in Calais resulted in losses of approximately $1 billion for the economy of the United Kingdom, which relies on these facilities for trade with the continent. Losses due to contamination of cargo shipments by stowaways were particularly serious for the pharmaceutical and food industries, with BSI recording one lost shipment of pharmaceuticals valued at $3.9 million. Delays and stoppages in Calais cost UK shippers an estimated $1.2 million and Dutch shippers around $545,000 each day.

The surge of refugees into Europe in September led many countries to re-impose border checks in areas where they had previously allowed free passage of cargo and people. Border checks have resumed at Germany’s border with Austria and the Czech Republic, Slovakia’s border with Hungary, Austria’s border with Hungary, and Norway’s border with Sweden. All of these checks have slowed trade in Europe, leading to mounting costs for shippers. In particular, the checks along Germany’s southern border have hurt trade with Italy, as Italian exports to Germany have been delayed
So the cause of the losses is delayed/more cumbersome border checks being imposed and/or strikes. That would be the same strikes that were reported by the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... unnel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to be costing £250m per day to the UK and had already cost the UK £1Bn in July...

So the Mail had it down to strikes, now the report has been released by BSI, it's down to migrants in the same publication. Wish they'd make their minds up. Actually no, I wish you'd stop believing everything in it that supports your point of view without ever bothering to ask yourself any questions as to its validity.
You mean like you do :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 pm

^^ No, I looked at what you posted and thought - that doesn't sound right, I'll go check. ;-)

It's a good process. Hobes posted it = it's likely to be complete bollocks = go have a quick looksee = Oh aye, I was right. Simple and effective. ;-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote: ...Losses due to contamination of cargo shipments by stowaways were particularly serious for the pharmaceutical and food industries...
I can't find it now, but within the last year I read an article (I think it was in The Independent, but it might'a been The Times) about illegal migrants that had come to Britain. It was basically telling the stories of some migrants: why they wanted to come to britain, how they'd got here, what they were doing now they were here, etc.
One of the main interviewees was an Afghani who'd tried once as an asylum seeker and had been rejected and so decided to smuggle himself back into Britain. He made it successfully the second time by breaking into a tanker full of liquid chocolate* and immersing himself up to the neck. He got into medical trouble as the chocolate was warm and he had to stay in the tanker with the hatch down for a number of hours. He eventually dragged himself out of the tanker in a haulage yard somewhere near Portsmouth, after 'evacuating' himself into the tanker. He got away with his smuggling and so therefore that was one batch of food that wasn't declared contiminated... The thought of it made me feel quite ill and I didn't touch anything that might have contained transported liquid chocolate for months after and I still can't face profiteroles for example... :vomit:

* yeah, before that article I had no idea that chocolate was transported in warm liquid form across continents. But it didn't surprise me: I'd discovered ages ago that giant oil tankers take commercially valuable ballast with them after they've delivered the oil. One of these ballasts is whisky (one 'triangle' is crude oil from middle east to Japan, Suntory whisky from Japan to India, and molasses from India to the middle east) which just sploshes about in the same tanks that the crude oil is transported in!!

I'm not recounting this in favour of either side of the Worthy-Hoboh argument, but just because.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:27 pm

Sir Bill Cash, the veteran Eurosceptic chairman of the Commons European scrutiny committee, described the reforms as a pig in a poke
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:50 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sands.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who was laughing at a tidal wave of Romanians now?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 pm

It depends if you consider 35,000 people to be a 'tidal wave'.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 pm

EU migration is still lower than all the migration from non-EU countries...Err so let's blame the EU...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sands.html
Who was laughing at a tidal wave of Romanians now?
Ermmm everyone with any sort of a brain? :conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Apropos nowt, I've been out in Sweden all this week for a few meetings, one of which was with a company that I deal with in the tiny and utterly unremarkable town of Kinna, which is in the middle of nowhere between Gothenburg and Boras. It's about the size of Ramsbottom, but lacks the character. Kinna, understandably, has only one hotel - The Stadshotell, and unless visitors to Kinna are prepared to drive for miles it represents the only realistic choice of accommodation -or most certainly the most obvious choice anyway.

Over the past 10 years I must have stayed in this place between 30 and 40 times, yet it's always amazed me how the place has managed to remain open (despite it having an excellent lunchtime trade) as I've never found myself being one of more than say a dozen people staying there at any one time, including when I was last there at the end of August.

So anyway, over the past few weeks I'd been attempting to book a room for the evenings of Monday and Tuesday of this week via the usual email method, yet, and completely at odds with their prompt replies to which I'm accustomed, had had nothing back; this was before then making calls which went unanswered.

As such, I rang the guy that runs the company that I was due to meet with;

Me: "Per-Anders, can you help me out? I can't get through to The Stadshotell"
PA: "Ah, sorry Bruce, I forgot to tell you, Stadshotell is closed"
Me: (unsurprised) "Ah right, no problem, I'll book into The Scandic in Boras and will drive through"
PA: "Great, see you at 9 on Tuesday". Then, just as the conversation was tailing off he said "Stadshotell is full of refugees".

Now, I just thought that that was some jokey comment relating to the current numbers crisis in Sweden, however, on Tuesday morning I drove past the hotel on my way to the meeting and all I could see through the windows of every bedroom were sets of bunkbeds and Asian faces.

It turns out that some enterprising type has bought the hotel from the previous owner based on it's turnover of circa €40,000 per month (I'm using Euros for ease) with the sole intention of turning into a refugee camp for which he receives, if the figures are to be believed, close to €200 per day, per inhabitant, of which there are 200 (So that's €40,000 PER DAY then) for providing them with a bed and three meals per day.

It just struck me that for all the talk of myriad unscrupulous, illegal traffickers cashing in on the misery of others at 'that end', and of course there are, there are clearly those at 'this end' with an eye on the main chance doing very well out of this humanitarian disaster also.

You can read a little bit about it here;

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.as ... el=6307553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:00 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/141 ... ef=mr&lp=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrew Costello, defending both Romanian-born men, said they had arrived in Bolton less than a year ago and were working hard to make a living at a car wash.
"They are both of previous good character and are thoroughly ashamed of their behaviour," he said, adding that the attack was not pre-planned but had escalated in a moment.
Nice to see these highly qualified migrants settling in so well!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/141 ... ef=mr&lp=5
Andrew Costello, defending both Romanian-born men, said they had arrived in Bolton less than a year ago and were working hard to make a living at a car wash.
"They are both of previous good character and are thoroughly ashamed of their behaviour," he said, adding that the attack was not pre-planned but had escalated in a moment.
Nice to see these highly qualified migrants settling in so well!
They were offended by a queue jumper. Sounds like they are assimilating and taking on British values to me. Bravo!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:09 pm

:D. A community order teaching them to focus their energies into writing a strongly-worded letter seems appropriate.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Prufrock wrote::D. A community order teaching them to focus their energies into writing a strongly-worded letter seems appropriate.
Violent disorder, why are they not simply deported?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Prufrock wrote::D. A community order teaching them to focus their energies into writing a strongly-worded letter seems appropriate.

over a pub fight? give your head a shake!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:16 am

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Encroaching into a Great British bus lane? GALLOWS!!!!!!!
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 am

If every time you got gazumped at a bar you waited for the perp and beat the shite out of him there'd be a crisis in the Court system and A&E and the Police. OK. I've just seen the flaw in that.

It's not like it's the Gypsy's Tent ffs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:43 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Tell that to the next person they set about!