What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote: I' ve still got neck-ache from looking up at you.. :mrgreen:
I was slouching a lot so as not to make BoltonBoris feel short :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Just finished Inside Enemy, a believable John Le Carre style MI6 novel by ex-soldier, foreign-office member, Alan Judd. Has all the ingredients without overkill. Enjoyed. Next up is The Bourne Dominion....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Reading number 2 from the Booker shortlist delivery. Ali Smith's How to be Both. Chapter 2 is set in and around the famous Palazzo Schifanoia in Emilio Romagna with at its heart a reflection on its famous frescoes.

Wow.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ferra ... 1846%3B700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm

William the White wrote:Reading number 2 from the Booker shortlist delivery. Ali Smith's How to be Both. Chapter 2 is set in and around the famous Palazzo Schifanoia in Emilio Romagna with at its heart a reflection on its famous frescoes.

Wow.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ferra ... 1846%3B700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah yes. Is that Brian Sewell I see lurking in a corner..?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:06 pm

thebish wrote:arse! :-)

(or as Bobo would say, adce)
:lol:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Cents the lot of you.

Are holes and cents.

Wonkers.
:lol: :lol:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Ali Smith's How to be Both has me awestruck.

Its subject matter is art - and particularly the art of Francesco del Cossa and particularly (though not exclusively) his frescoes in the Palazzo Schifanoia and a single painting of his in the National Gallery in London.

It is about art and its creation, and art as redemption, art as commerce, art as passion, art as contention, art and politics, art the size of a postcard or art covering a palace wall.

It is also about love, and loss, and bereavement, and gender.

And it is told in two story lines, five centuries apart, one that of a teenage English girl whose mother has died, the other an Italian Renaissance painter.

The prose is often heightened, poetic, arranged in poetic form, with jagged line breaks and insistent rhythms.

I think it's wonderful and hope it can find its readership. (It has a sitting duck target in me!).

The book comes in two versions, the starting story in one being the bereaved English girl (the one i got), in the other del Cossa. The stories intertwine pleasingly.

Hope it wins the Booker next week.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 pm

William the White wrote:Today I finished the first of the Booker delivery. Karen Joy Fowler's We are all completely beside ourselves is, in turn, laugh out loud funny, sad, and uplifting by the end.

It's a story of sibling affection, loss, animal rights and family obligation, with a brilliant twist in the middle.

Very good, earns its place on the shortlist.

Now to choose the next... :D
Currently 60 pages in. Blasted through in a couple of hours. Reminds me of Gone Girl so far, hopefully isn't so thoroughly disappointing!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
William the White wrote:Today I finished the first of the Booker delivery. Karen Joy Fowler's We are all completely beside ourselves is, in turn, laugh out loud funny, sad, and uplifting by the end.

It's a story of sibling affection, loss, animal rights and family obligation, with a brilliant twist in the middle.

Very good, earns its place on the shortlist.

Now to choose the next... :D
Currently 60 pages in. Blasted through in a couple of hours. Reminds me of Gooner Girl so far, hopefully isn't so thoroughly disappointing!
I sorted out that spelling error for you Pru.

You're welcome.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 pm

:lol: you bastard, Sunday night beer escaping through nose.

Speaking of, where is our fav Arsenal fan these days? It's no fun (well, less fun) when they lose if we can't tease her. We need some fun at the moment, this is downright selfish!

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Finally finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Glad to have read it, generally enjoyed it when I picked it up but rarely felt the urge to have to get back to it.

Felt that it opened in sensational style (I mean I was gripped and loved how it was told) - young teen caught up in a terrorist incident at MOMA in New York. Doesn't maintain that pace or the gripping yet clear narrative drive.

Nevetheless, some interesting and strongly drawn characters along the journey and the boy (as he grows into a man) is complex but (just about) likeable.

Philosophising concluding passages a bit indulgent but (probably just about) in character.

Much more rewarding than the last 700+ pager by an American I read (Don DeLillo's Underworld)

Be interested to know what anyone else made of it. This isn't (as you've no doubt sussed) a ringing endorsement, but, even so, I am tempted to read The Secret History.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Looks like i should finish number 3 from the Booker parcel if i can find an hour tomorrow. Joshua Ferris's To rise Again at a Decent Hour has an insomniac - but brilliant - dentist as its hero (so successful has Park Avenue practise and apartment).

He's also a committed atheist who follows a team that doesn't win a thing for 84 years - Boston Red Sox (at this point I'm on his side).

He is an unhappy and unfulfilled man, at the end of a long relationship, whose life seems empty - not that he can be arsed doing much to fill it. Booze and old VHS videos of Red Sox games is what its come down to.

Then, the twist, the inciting incident - his identity is 'stolen' in the sense that someone opens a website purporting to be his practise, then Facebook, using his name, then Twitter and is using them to promote a strange history of a long lost biblical tribe, that may or may not be anti-Semitic.

it starts off as a very funny, satirical look at the 'problem' of being a dentist and rich but lonely in New York. But turns into something more chilling.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 am

William the White wrote:Looks like i should finish number 3 from the Booker parcel if i can find an hour tomorrow. Joshua Ferris's To rise Again at a Decent Hour has an insomniac - but brilliant - dentist as its hero (so successful has Park Avenue practise and apartment).

He's also a committed atheist who follows a team that doesn't win a thing for 84 years - Boston Red Sox (at this point I'm on his side).

He is an unhappy and unfulfilled man, at the end of a long relationship, whose life seems empty - not that he can be arsed doing much to fill it. Booze and old VHS videos of Red Sox games is what its come down to.

Then, the twist, the inciting incident - his identity is 'stolen' in the sense that someone opens a website purporting to be his practise, then Facebook, using his name, then Twitter and is using them to promote a strange history of a long lost biblical tribe, that may or may not be anti-Semitic.

it starts off as a very funny, satirical look at the 'problem' of being a dentist and rich but lonely in New York. But turns into something more chilling.
Well, I really enjoyed this book, with reservations about the believability of the theology (an ancient religion founded on the primacy of doubt). It is witty and despairing, which is a good combination, but I liked it most for its brilliant depiction of the agony of following, obsessively, a team that never wins anything... A dubious gift inflicted on our hero by his father, who dies, leaving the boy with the Red Sox. There is a poignant passage when he recounts the emotional turmoil when the Red Sox finally beat their despicable rivals the Yankees and win the world series after 86 years - and even this does not bring back his father.

Good, often very good, but still behind Ali Smith for me in the Booker race.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am

William the White wrote:
William the White wrote:Looks like i should finish number 3 from the Booker parcel if i can find an hour tomorrow. Joshua Ferris's To rise Again at a Decent Hour has an insomniac - but brilliant - dentist as its hero (so successful has Park Avenue practise and apartment).

Well, I really enjoyed this book, with reservations about the believability of the theology (an ancient religion founded on the primacy of doubt). It is witty and despairing, which is a good combination, but I liked it most for its brilliant depiction of the agony of following, obsessively, a team that never wins anything... A dubious gift inflicted on our hero by his father, who dies, leaving the boy with the Red Sox. There is a poignant passage when he recounts the emotional turmoil when the Red Sox finally beat their despicable rivals the Yankees and win the world series after 86 years - and even this does not bring back his father.

Is this the 'shot that echoed round the world' game? Also the launch point for Don DeLillo's Underworld

Glad her book is better than her reading (or her interview) on Newsnight tonight.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:14 am

'Shot that echoed around the world' was a smaller game between two non-Yankee New York teams I think. First televised game though, and a thrilling ending. Red Sox won much more recently. Not long after the Moneyball guy turned down the job managing them.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:31 am

Prufrock wrote:'Shot that echoed around the world' was a smaller game between two non-Yankee New York teams I think. First televised game though, and a thrilling ending. Red Sox won much more recently. Not long after the Moneyball guy turned down the job managing them.

You're right, Pru, just wiki'd it.

Impressive hyperbole from USA sporting press though re a sport nobody outside USA (oh and Japan) gives a toss about.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:55 am

EverSoYouri wrote:
William the White wrote:

Is this the 'shot that echoed round the world' game? Also the launch point for Don DeLillo's Underworld

Glad her book is better than her reading (or her interview) on Newsnight tonight.
Yes, that was pretty poor. not that there's any reason why a great writer should be able to read aloud well, or even talk about what she's written.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Berlin Game by Len Deighton. It's not going to make the Booker shortlist - but a good pulp read.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm reading Narrow Road to the Deep North by Australian Richard Flanagan.

One hundred pages in and I've already forgiven him for writing the screenplay to the abysmal Australia.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:36 pm

William the White wrote:I'm reading Narrow Road to the Deep North by Australian Richard Flanagan.

One hundred pages in and I've already forgiven him for writing the screenplay to the abysmal Australia.

I'm sure that's a weight off his mind! :D