The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Why's someone stuck a massive dildo to the mantle piece? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Why's someone stuck a massive dildo to the mantle piece? :conf:
My guess is a wall clock or cuckoo clock with chains on a backboard.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^^ why is there a ghost of a huge person sitting in a huge armchair, with it's back to the fire to the right of that Tango ?
Not sure just what the right hand side says apart from a settee of sorts and some big shadows bobo. If you look at the blue and black bit far left, it's a man reading a newspaper with the shadow of his legs thrown on the wall extreme left. Going off the shadows the light is from a central source and suggests interior light rather than sunlight. The right, I just don't know, shadows I'd say?
if it were shadows, that would surely darken the brown of the mantelpiece, wouldn't it? ...not overlay with a totally different colour...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:38 pm

One of the most haunted places in England, I understand.

Of course Whistler may have painted a different one - at York perhaps.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm

^ that may well be, but it's not Moresby Hall that Whistler painted... it's Moreby (as Tango said)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^^ why is there a ghost of a huge person sitting in a huge armchair, with it's back to the fire to the right of that Tango ?
Not sure just what the right hand side says apart from a settee of sorts and some big shadows bobo. If you look at the blue and black bit far left, it's a man reading a newspaper with the shadow of his legs thrown on the wall extreme left. Going off the shadows the light is from a central source and suggests interior light rather than sunlight. The right, I just don't know, shadows I'd say?
if it were shadows, that would surely darken the brown of the mantelpiece, wouldn't it? ...not overlay with a totally different colour...
Simple answer is I just don't know. It was painted late Victorian era (1883-4) and playing music being a part of the culture, I'm seeing something that might be a harp to the right of the fire, then what might be a settee. I can't find any info anywhere on the painting so, I suppose you see it as you see it and use your imagination? .

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Simple answer is I just don't know. It was painted late Victorian era (1883-4) and playing music being a part of the culture, I'm seeing something that might be a harp to the right of the fire, then what might be a settee. I can't find any info anywhere on the painting so, I suppose you see it as you see it and use your imagination? .
ghost of a huge person it is then - as Bobo said! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Been pondering on this and I reckon the big shape is a piano/organ, pianoforte? with possibly a vase stood on its top. Makes sense with the harp and if there's a window where we're looking from a lot of light could cast plenty shadow.....Disclaimer...artistic licence at work.. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:56 pm

is that a dog just on the left of the foreground - rubbing itself on the side of a sofa?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 pm

thebish wrote:is that a dog just on the left of the foreground - rubbing itself on the side of a sofa?
I can see where you mean, in front of the chair, and it's quite possible.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

of course - it could always be bobo rubbing himself on the sofa...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Why's someone stuck a massive dildo to the mantle piece? :conf:
See, that's the sort of question we need to ask about art. None of this namby pamby bllks.

So when you saw a massive dildo in the painting, how did it make you feel? What emotions did it stir? What did the dildo say to you? Did you stare at it for hours, trying to work out where the dildo had been and what the back-story was? I think we need to know.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
See, that's the sort of question we need to ask about art. None of this namby pamby bllks.

So when you saw a massive dildo in the painting, how did it make you feel? What emotions did it stir? What did the dildo say to you? Did you stare at it for hours, trying to work out where the dildo had been and what the back-story was? I think we need to know.
I'm reaslly hoping bruce doesn't answer :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm

William the White wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I'm reaslly hoping bruce doesn't answer :shock:
:grin:

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:41 am

I know this thread is called The Great Art Debate, but the following is not put forward for debate. These people are morons. End of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am

Dear lord!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:I know this thread is called The Great Art Debate, but the following is not put forward for debate. These people are morons. End of.

It is not even clear to me whether the complaint came from a UKIP type offended by the brilliant satire, or an Anti-UKIP type who just didn't get it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:I know this thread is called The Great Art Debate, but the following is not put forward for debate. These people are morons. End of.

It is not even clear to me whether the complaint came from a UKIP type offended by the brilliant satire, or an Anti-UKIP type who just didn't get it.
Council officials rarely know much about life at street level. Anyone with half a brain would have just ignored it as petty attention seeking, probably by a serial complainer. Instead, they have a meeting and action the complaint to the joy of all....not.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Council officials rarely know much about life at street level.
I have known (and know) lots of local councillors - it is pretty much a totally thankless task... in my experience, they are most often those who DO know and care about life at street level in the communities they serve. It takes quite a bit to put your head above the parapet and campaign for support to be a local councillor in the area you live. I'm sorry your experience of them seems to be so overwhelmingly negative, without them - those willing to put the time into local government - our lives would be immeasurably shitter...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Had anybody else posted that, you wouldn't have responded
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"