What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

Dujon wrote:Thanks for the up-date, thebish. I have read but a few books from Ye Olden days. Among them were Henry Esmond and Tom Jones. Those two I have yet to finish as they are, to me, difficult to follow. Henry Esmond in particular was a right proper pain as it was a required reading in my final school year. Thackery's style was weird to my brain cells. I tried H.E. again during my adult life on a couple of occasions but the result was the same - numbness. Tom Jones is a different kettle of fish. Fielding must have been paid by the word for this work as it's worthy of the noun "tome" - even in the paperback version. Young Tom seems to spend all his time chasing skirt and, when caught out, doing his best to protected the 'innocent' Miss or Mrs involved.

I digress. Both the books mentioned were of course written long after Chaucer's much vaunted 'Tales' and were published unexpurgated.

I hope the nest two-thirds keeps your attention riveted to the page. :smile:
Get cracking on the two-hundred year ago stuff of Jane Austen. Start with Pride and Prejudice and forget the words "love story". :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 02, 2015 12:06 pm

^^^^ .... & save yourself some time by ignoring the other five of her books by the fact that they're all, essentially, identical.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 02, 2015 12:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^^ .... & save yourself some time by ignoring the other five of her books by the fact that they're all, essentially, identical.
Got to allow the fact that topics were a bit scarce, it was all done by candlelight and night clubs hadn't been invented Bobo, at least not the sort decent ladies would frequent. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^^ .... & save yourself some time by ignoring the other five of her books by the fact that they're all, essentially, identical.
Seriously, I like J.A's stuff for what it is, and I've been er, debating with some of our American cousins on the topic of her in a contemporary world. I stated that she mightn't cut it today because her appeal was primarily historical and relating life and times back then. I stated that J.K Rowling had made more with hers six/seven books in twenty years than J.A has in two hundred, which is true, and that J.A might just be another writer among many today. I think the cousins ( mainly female) may have a contract out on me. :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 03, 2015 9:00 am

as a matter of personal taste - I'm more of a Bronte fan than an Austen fan..

Austen = posh bird from southern landed gentry family writing about posh-people's tedious emotional angst
Brontes = northern birds with a bit of grit and a darker edge due to a proper understanding of poverty

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 11:22 am

thebish wrote:as a matter of personal taste - I'm more of a Bronte fan than an Austen fan..

Austen = posh bird from southern landed gentry family writing about posh-people's tedious emotional angst
Brontes = northern birds with a bit of grit and a darker edge due to a proper understanding of poverty
Surely room for both even if that were true?( which it isn't) Jane Austen wasn't even a posh bird,( unless clergy are posh?) :wink: she was a parson's daughter, one of seven children (one of whom went mad) and died at 41 without marrying, and the Brontes didn't actually experience any real poverty being almost the same. They supposedly died from poor quality water in the area?) Austen's works aren't love stories, ( at least for me) but great character studies. My favourite characters are without a doubt Mr Collins and Mr and Mrs Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Austen gave us some laughs at the ridiculous rich, the Brontes just grim, unsmiling drama.

Both writers lived tragic lives, the Bronte sisters all also dying very young ( Charlotte, 39, Emily 30, and Anne 29.) I have a book of poems by the sisters writing as Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell published in 1978 that I bought for 30p in a library sale. It's the ultimate in depression, and I've visited Haworth half a dozen times seen the parsonage museum and wandered amongst the tombstones. Nice in summer, grim in winter.

Charles Dickens gave us poverty but remembered a smile or two as well.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm

like I said - personal taste - mine's different to yours..

I prefer a dark edge - Austen just seems like posh-bird frippery to me...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm

thebish wrote:like I said - personal taste - mine's different to yours..

... with added yawn.

I was made .. & I mean made ... to do one sixth of hers for O level and a further sixth for A level. I read each once and once alone. I've tried since but just can't. I've even tried to watch the films but again, not possible.

... &, yes. It is a matter of personal preference. Just don't ask me not to be amazed at people's personal preferences.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 03, 2015 2:39 pm

For what it's worth, they're all shit! "Edge" or no.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:For what it's worth, they're all shit! "Edge" or no.
Thank you The Times literary critic. :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 03, 2015 3:33 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

... with added yawn.

I was made .. & I mean made ... to do one sixth of hers for O level and a further sixth for A level. I read each once and once alone. I've tried since but just can't. I've even tried to watch the films but again, not possible.

... &, yes. It is a matter of personal preference. Just don't ask me not to be amazed at people's personal preferences.
Austen is one thing where added zombies make sense... (also - they're basically books for girls..)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 4:10 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

... with added yawn.

Austen is one thing where added zombies make sense... (also - they're basically books for girls..)
Sir Walter Scott amd Rudyard Kipling (amongst many others) might not agree, but hey ho, read on you macho men. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 03, 2015 4:18 pm

well - if they didn't agree - then they'd be wrong! simple! ;-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 5:09 pm

And I should know better than to think I could ever be right disagreeing with yourself. Silly me. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 04, 2015 3:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:And I should know better than to think I could ever be right disagreeing with yourself. Silly me. :wink:
as I have said twice - it's a matter of opinion and mine is different to yours. I know you feel you have to defend the honour of Janer Austen anytime she is mentioned (even this time when we were talking about Chaucer!) - but, really - not everyone has to like Austen, and some people are clearly not so turned on by her as you are. I don't know where your need to be declared "right" comes from... it's just books and opinions!

it's simple - I don't think her books are that rivetting or that interesting - I'm happy that you do - and I am not in the least bit interested in changing your mind - why would I be?

there's plenty of authors to go around! It's just that Austen won't be troubling my bedside table anytime soon! I'll live with the loss! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 04, 2015 3:26 pm

^^
Let me guess. It's a Bank Holiday and you're bored? :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 04, 2015 3:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^^
Let me guess. It's a Bank Holiday and you're bored? :wink:

not at all - the clear sign of boredom in a man is reading Jane Austen! :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 04, 2015 3:39 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

... with added yawn.

Actually, the Mayor of fcking Casterbridge would benefit from zombies too. That was hours of my life I'll never get back. Fcking dire. I should be able to sue the school for time wasting (along with Latin x 5 years).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 04, 2015 3:42 pm

to be fair - most olden-days books would benefit from the addition of zombies...

i've never read the mayor of casterbridge - I shall take your review into account and keep it that way!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 04, 2015 3:47 pm

At least The Mayor of Sodor had the good grace to add tank engines. Which is also acceptable.