Winter ashes...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Winter ashes...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm

I don't think anyone, occasional badminton Olympic games aside, tries to lose. However, much like us at the end of the summer, it's clear their focus had shifted from won at all costs to 'let's have a look at some fringe/young players (whilst of course trying to win.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't think anyone, occasional badminton Olympic games aside, tries to lose. However, much like us at the end of the summer, it's clear their focus had shifted from won at all costs to 'let's have a look at some fringe/young players (whilst of course trying to win.
Who knows what would have happened if they had selected other players.

The team the Aussies put out was the one England had to play, they won. End of story.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Given all other evidence on this tour, it seems likely Australia would have won had they put out a full strength team, like every other time!

I don't see anyone disputing that we had to face the team they picked, or that we won.

I'm simply saying beating a half strength Aussie team is hardly cause for celebration. Yay we aren't as shit as we thought.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:Given all other evidence on this tour, it seems likely Australia would have won had they put out a full strength team, like every other time!

I don't see anyone disputing that we had to face the team they picked, or that we won.

I'm simply saying beating a half strength Aussie team is hardly cause for celebration. Yay we aren't as shit as we thought.
A win is a win. I don't see anyone getting carried away though.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make :?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Nothing other than that people shouldn't get carried away with this win :D!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nothing other than that people shouldn't get carried away with this win :D!
and have they, I'm not. Your not, so what are you going on about :conf:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm

:lol:

'People shouldn't get carried away' is not the same as 'people have got carried away'. It was a throw-away attempt at a 'hey don't forget we're shit' gallows humour job.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Prufrock wrote::lol:

'People shouldn't get carried away' is not the same as 'people have got carried away'. It was a throw-away attempt at a 'hey don't forget we're shit' gallows humour job.
Oh right.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Prufrock wrote::lol:

you're too subtle for your shirt! :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:38 pm

I know it's only an ODI game but England have managed the virtually impossible yet again. How the heck do they manage it? :conf:

There are three 20/20 games coming soon to grounds somewhere or other. I won't be bothering; 5-0 and 4-1 are depressing enough.

My attention will now turn to the South Africa v Australia series which begins in a few weeks time.

Hasta la vista, amigos.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25982894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He seemed to think he should stay.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:54 am

Its official results wise this has been our worst Ashes series ever. Well done England.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:18 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Its official results wise this has been our worst Ashes series ever. Well done England.
Well, it was a 5-0 whitewash but this would only tie for the worst ever with, for example, 2007 and 1921.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 pm

He's including all the one-dayers and friendlies against the local veterans' / wives' / dogs' sides.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:He's including all the one-dayers and friendlies against the local veterans' / wives' / dogs' sides.
Ah, then the worst tour ever not just the Ashes series. Could be I suppose though I thought we won a couple of games.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Ashes tests: 5-0
ODIs : 4-1
T20s : 2-0 (with one to play tonight my time)

I think England won two 'tour' matches versus two different invitational teams, Monty. I just had a quick squiz at the CA site but (I might have missed them) couldn't find the results for those games. Perhaps they are not classed as 'internationals' - which is true, of course.

Anywhatsit, my opinion is that a test series is what it says it is. The shorter forms of the game were constructed to entertain those with short attention spans and a belly full of beer. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:59 am

Dujon wrote:Ashes tests: 5-0
ODIs : 4-1
T20s : 2-0 (with one to play tonight my time)

I think England won two 'tour' matches versus two different invitational teams, Monty. I just had a quick squiz at the CA site but (I might have missed them) couldn't find the results for those games. Perhaps they are not classed as 'internationals' - which is true, of course.

Anywhatsit, my opinion is that a test series is what it says it is. The shorter forms of the game were constructed to entertain those with short attention spans and a belly full of beer. :wink:
They beat the Prime Minister's XI which caused me to question your peerless leader... :wink:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 am

It's the worst tour ever when the stats are taken into account. First time ever lost all 100 wickets, lowest run totals etc.

Anyway, thankfully we can now bring them home.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm

jimbo wrote:It's the worst tour ever when the stats are taken into account. First time ever lost all 100 wickets, lowest run totals etc.

We should leave 'em fooking there.

We have form on that front.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
jimbo wrote:It's the worst tour ever when the stats are taken into account. First time ever lost all 100 wickets, lowest run totals etc.

We should leave 'em fooking there.

We have form on that front.
:lol: