Wine

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Wine

Post by William the White » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Tell him your requirements. And say you're really interested in trying out German dessert wines - Auslese, Beerenauslese, Trockenbeerenaulese. They're real enthusiasts there - Decanter shop of the year a couple of years ago. A word of warning though, German Dessert wine is, in the main, very expensive. I'd be amazed if you got a good bottle for under £20, never mind ten.

At a pinch, if you're willing to experiment, ask him for a Jurancon or a Pacherenc-de-vic-bilh. Last time I was there (admittedly a couple of years ago) they were carrying some Alain Brumont PdVB, and I'm sure they had Jurancon. But they're French, not German. At a pinch, a fall back from Germany if you will, you could ask for an Alsatian Vendange Tardive, like a Riesling or (my favourite) Pinot Gris.

Just be sure to have your credit card to hand.
Yep - Tesco online offer a half bottle of Beerenauslese at £23.95 (a half bottle :shock: )...

Yeah the Byrnes are brill...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm afraid that halfway decent (that is, not just horrible sugar water) dessert wine is expensive. The yields are small as, by variety of methods, they basically all arrive at shrivelled grapes that have a fraction of the juice volume of normal wine. However, as a treat, good dessert wine is one of lifes pleasures. Find a suitable excuse :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm afraid that halfway decent (that is, not just horrible sugar water) dessert wine is expensive. The yields are small as, by variety of methods, they basically all arrive at shrivelled grapes that have a fraction of the juice volume of normal wine. However, as a treat, good dessert wine is one of lifes pleasures. Find a suitable excuse :wink:
Can you still get Tokay (now Tokaji I think)? I haven't had one for years but it was a good dessert wine. I tend to have port with blue cheese and the blue cheese rends to be Stilton.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I think he might need a remortgage for a decent Tokaji Monty :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 pm

As it happens, though, I'm not a massive fan of the style. If, however, you do get a chance to try it, I recommend the dry whites that are coming out of the same region, and you won't need a Banker's Draft to get them. Usually. Really fruity, but nicely refreshing and dry.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I think he might need a remortgage for a decent Tokaji Monty :D
That bad, eh? In the late 1950s when I used to take the six-hour ride on the Pines Express from Manchester London Road (now Piccadilly) to Evercreech (in Somerset), British railways offered three white wines (half bottles) at lunch. One was a semi-dry South African wine (we hadn't kicked them out of the Commonwealth at that time) called Paarl Amber Hock, the second a dry Graves and the third a French Sauterne all priced at 5/-. I looked at the price of a half bottle of Sauterne recently and couldn't believe it. Thus, I not surprised Tokay might cost a lot as I prefer it to Sauternes. I've never tasted a true German Trockenbeerenauslese - in 1978 when I was in Rudesheim on the Rheingau I had the chance at 20 marks a glass at a winetasting celebration, but I spend my money on a dozen other interesting wines on sale by the glass. This was Schloss Johanisberg 1976 vintage too (a great year). Always regretted being a bit cheap then. I'll try for a bottle of that after I've found one of Montrachet (which is top of my list). I've had the Puligny Montrachet and Chassagne Montrachet but never the real thing (though I did pinch a grape from the vineyard).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I think he might need a remortgage for a decent Tokaji Monty :D
That bad, eh? In the late 1950s when I used to take the six-hour ride on the Pines Express from Manchester London Road (now Piccadilly) to Evercreech (in Somerset), British railways offered three white wines (half bottles) at lunch. One was a semi-dry South African wine (we hadn't kicked them out of the Commonwealth at that time) called Paarl Amber Hock, the second a dry Graves and the third a French Sauterne all priced at 5/-. I looked at the price of a half bottle of Sauterne recently and couldn't believe it. Thus, I not surprised Tokay might cost a lot as I prefer it to Sauternes. I've never tasted a true German Trockenbeerenauslese - in 1978 when I was in Rudesheim on the Rheingau I had the chance at 20 marks a glass at a winetasting celebration, but I spend my money on a dozen other interesting wines on sale by the glass. This was Schloss Johanisberg 1976 vintage too (a great year). Always regretted being a bit cheap then. I'll try for a bottle of that after I've found one of Montrachet (which is top of my list). I've had the Puligny Montrachet and Chassagne Montrachet but never the real thing (though I did pinch a grape from the vineyard).
Totally off topic but how do you remember such detail Monty of stuff that happened 60 odd years ago? I struggle to remember what I did last week :(
The Voice Of Reason

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Totally off topic but how do you remember such detail Monty of stuff that happened 60 odd years ago? I struggle to remember what I did last week :(
You will find, my son, as you age that you remember things decades ago quite well but are shaky on two days ago. I had to take the Pines Express six times a year for six years - repetition helps with memory.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:William - you know the wine buff at Bobbins said that he won't stock anything that's available at Morrison's? Are we sure?

Bought from Bobbins;

Bought from Morrison's;

I tried that Morrison's version tonight... It's on offer atm... It was fine with a medium hot chicken curry... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 pm

William the White wrote: I tried that Morrison's version tonight... It's on offer atm... It was fine with a medium hot chicken curry... :D
I keep clearing them out of it. We should have a word with the manager to score 24 or so if it's on offer. Though I prefer the New Vines stuff (which Morrison's don't do), the Old Vines is a bloody lovely drop. Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Morrison's in town have a rake of it. :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Further news for the Morrisonians on here - fans of Rioja should check out the Rioja Joven at under a fiver (and more than drinkable on a Wed eve with spicy chicken wrap and salad)...

And for Bruce in partic, if you haven't spotted they have an offer on the Campo Viejo you like taking it to under £6.

PLUS buy six bottles and it's a further 25% off...

:pissed:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 pm

William the White wrote:Further news for the Morrisonians on here - fans of Rioja should check out the Rioja Joven at under a fiver (and more than drinkable on a Wed eve with spicy chicken wrap and salad)...

And for Bruce in partic, if you haven't spotted they have an offer on the Campo Viejo you like taking it to under £6.

PLUS buy six bottles and it's a further 25% off...

:pissed:

Oh nice one. Cheers, William. I suppose I'll be going to the one in town again then?! :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:06 am

Got our latest case through from Naked Wines. We tried the "market place" thing they've got, where they source the wine from really small independent wine makers who then send your their best 12 bottles of 2 or 3 variations.

Anyhow, we chose a brand called "le petit train" out of sympathy more than anything. A British woman used her life savings to start up her own little place in France in the second year (i think) had 90% of her 'crop' destroyed by vandals (I thought only Britain had dick heads!!) anyhow, we ordered from her and on the back of each bottle is a heart felt Thankyou from the woman herself and we also got an email thanking us personally for our custom.

We opened the Corbieres last night and it was delicious!! One of the nicest bottles we've had in absolutely ages.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 am

I highly recommend the Toro Loco Tempranillo from Aldi £3.69...a reet good tipple! But don't take my word for it....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... award.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Voice Of Reason

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am

boltonboris wrote:Got our latest case through from Naked Wines. We tried the "market place" thing they've got, where they source the wine from really small independent wine makers who then send your their best 12 bottles of 2 or 3 variations.

Anyhow, we chose a brand called "le petit train" out of sympathy more than anything. A British woman used her life savings to start up her own little place in France in the second year (i think) had 90% of her 'crop' destroyed by vandals (I thought only Britain had dick heads!!) anyhow, we ordered from her and on the back of each bottle is a heart felt Thankyou from the woman herself and we also got an email thanking us personally for our custom.

We opened the Corbieres last night and it was delicious!! One of the nicest bottles we've had in absolutely ages.
That's awful.

The wine's good though for you though, a view with which I concur having had a couple in a mixed box. I didn't know that tale however. That's a nice tale about her too.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:I highly recommend the Toro Loco Tempranillo from Aldi £3.69...a reet good tipple! But don't take my word for it....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... award.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Kid raves on about that stuff. Oh well, there's only one way to find out. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 am

What ever happened to Sunday Drinker? Did they get their FB page taken down?

I really miss their reviews and tasting tips.

Remember kids, always drink irresponsibly. :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:What ever happened to Sunday Drinker? Did they get their FB page taken down?

I really miss their reviews and tasting tips.

Remember kids, always drink irresponsibly. :)

Bloody brilliant.

Genuinely "laughed out loud".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

I like the one he does in the shop (i dont do embedded links)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boOkKFg8nMo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:26 am

That Basics red wine is evil shit. The sort that means you wake up in the lift of someone else's halls of residence surrounded by bombay mix.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.