How Clever Are You?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

laz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by laz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 am

I always get stupid questions about actors dads or song lyrics that are 5 times older than me!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:00 pm

I think I've figured out the crazy scoring system in this game. Although Andy says it is good to get 9 or 10 (I was a tad sarcastic about this piece of advice) it is not that important - relativity is. We usually have +- 30 playing - let us say 28. The top player gets 28 points, second 3 points lower and third 3 points lower still. After that the points go down gradually to the tenth player with 13 odd points. At this point there is a hard break and the next ten players get six odd points and there is another break. The last eight get 4-5 points. So basically you have to finish in the top ten to get a decent score, whether you get 8, 9 or 10 correct. The break came in the middle of yesterday's 9 scorers - half did well, half did badly. Some time back Sluffy had the identical score and time with person ahead of him (they were separated in some unknowm way - chronological order of play or alphabetically by user name?). Sluffy finished 11th and got five points, the person he tied with got 11. So the trick is to finish consistently in the top ten, and not worry anyway because it is not a level playing field.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm

I've figured it out too. You get one question so remote nobody hardly knows the answer, one you should know and get wrong by being time conscious, and one that you think is an educated guess and get wrong anyway. 7/10. Who would know which is the oldest of the Phillipine Islands? Certainly not me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm

:cry:
Screwed up a Garth Brooks 1993 statement and didn't get this:
The Arkansas state bird, state flower and state tree are which one of the following?
I doubt that 5% of Canadians would get that right, and about the same percentage of Americans (all right, 72% of past quiz takers got it correct but I think they cheated :evil: ).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:14 pm

hmm mockingbird, apple blossom and pine. seems easy enough monty :wink:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Some time back Sluffy had the identical score and time with person ahead of him (they were separated in some unknowm way - chronological order of play or alphabetically by user name?). Sluffy finished 11th and got five points, the person he tied with got 11.
It was done by means of the more recent poster being given the higher place.

So people who play earlier in the day are at a slight disadvantage to those who post later - as if a tie occurs (same correct answers in the same time) the later poster is placed in the higher place.

I think the quiz placings are calculated this way to give our North American friends as much help as it possibly can! :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:27 pm

communistworkethic wrote:hmm mockingbird, apple blossom and pine. seems easy enough monty :wink:
Had that one did you? I didn't think they had many apple trees in Arkansas and I don't consider it a flower per se anyway! Thanks for the addition to my injury. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:35 pm

sluffy wrote:
I think the quiz placings are calculated this way to give our North American friends as much help as it possibly can! :wink:
Oh, pour it on, why don't you? :evil: It is not geography that gives an advantage, but age. Those between 15-25 have a huge advantage because that is the group that provides almost all the questions based on their own popular culture. The ones I get wrong, I am told about 85% of players get right - while when I answer a perfectly obvious question correctly (like who starred in the Maltese Falcon) only 60% of contestants get it right.

Hmmm. Maybe I should play last thing at night instead of first thing in the morning. :?

Congrats on two perfect days running, Sluffy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm

Gertie wrote:Note to self: Don't enter the quiz when feeling groggy.
Well, if it's good enough for Gertie. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:17 pm

7. You can make tans out of which of the following:
Your answer: Paper

The correct answer was All of the above

Tangram sets can be made out of any material imaginable, from paper to metal. Some of the more elaborate sets from China were made of ivory and carved with intricate designs.

72% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.
Question by player sono_innocente. (play this quiz!) (report correction)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: All oof the above was option Fecking A. There was no damn above!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 pm

americantrotter wrote:
7. You can make tans out of which of the following:
Your answer: Paper

The correct answer was All of the above

Tangram sets can be made out of any material imaginable, from paper to metal. Some of the more elaborate sets from China were made of ivory and carved with intricate designs.

72% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.
Question by player sono_innocente. (play this quiz!) (report correction)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: All oof the above was option Fecking A. There was no damn above!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
I got that one right and never noticed the anomaly!
Someone, I forget who, said if "all of them" is an option, pick it - so I do without thinking.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Someone, I forget who, said if "all of them" is an option, pick it - so I do without thinking.
Yep, always my route to glory too, Monty :)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:09 pm

I'm hunting down AndyW in this, after a pathetic early score of 4 on one day :oops: really hampered me. There's just about enough time to claw back the overall points total, but also the coveted (and more valuable) Average Points score.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Some of you are taking this WAY too seriously.

Not me of course, 'tis just a larf as far as I'm concerned. :wink:
(spoken like a true loser, eh?)
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I've figured it out too. You get one question so remote nobody hardly knows the answer, one you should know and get wrong by being time conscious, and one that you think is an educated guess and get wrong anyway. 7/10. Who would know which is the oldest of the Phillipine Islands? Certainly not me.
I was given the question of what is the oldest Philippine city. Hint: Can't remember the answer but it wasn't Manilla.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:01 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I've figured it out too. You get one question so remote nobody hardly knows the answer, one you should know and get wrong by being time conscious, and one that you think is an educated guess and get wrong anyway. 7/10. Who would know which is the oldest of the Phillipine Islands? Certainly not me.
I was given the question of what is the oldest Philippine city. Hint: Can't remember the answer but it wasn't Manilla.
Yeah, cos she married Charles.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:26 pm

blurred wrote: I was given the question of what is the oldest Philippine city. Hint: Can't remember the answer but it wasn't Manilla.
Yeah, cos she married Charles.[/quote]

Nah, that was Godzilla. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:28 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
easy-peasy-lemon-squeazy
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:46 am

Wahey, another perfect 10. A slight hesitation over one question, though, cost me valuable seconds. Only the 1 complete guess in there, too (the name of some genius child in a book I've never heard of), and 1 educated guess.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 pm

I've worked out why some of the questions seem desperately obscure.

Ours is a mixed bag quiz (ie random questions from other more specific quizzes). Some of the questions clearly follow on from the previous one in the proper quiz and would therefore make more sense.

My first one out today was.
ShitHouseQuizzes wrote:"Continuing on from the question above. Who was Julie"

"Tom's mother"
"Tom's sister"
"Tom's aunt"
"Tom's grandmother"
Once again confirming that this quiz is a load of cobblers. Not for the first time this has stopped me from getting 10/10.
:whack:
Businesswoman of the year.