Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm

I just read this in an article about whether using Times New Roman affects your chances of getting a job:

"Brian Hoff, creative director of Brian Hoff Design, sees it a bit differently: “It’s telegraphing that you didn’t put any thought into the typeface that you selected,”".

F*ck you, Brian Hoff, creative director of Brian Hoff Design. Ugh.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:I just read this in an article about whether using Times New Roman affects your chances of getting a job:

"Brian Hoff, creative director of Brian Hoff Design, sees it a bit differently: “It’s telegraphing that you didn’t put any thought into the typeface that you selected,”".

F*ck you, Brian Hoff, creative director of Brian Hoff Design. Ugh.

I think I'd automatically reject anyone using comic sans... but then, wouldn't everyone?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes, but mainly because that says I HAVE put thought into the typeface I use, and that thought is "I am kerazy".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 am

I asked my darling daughter if she'd like anything bringing back from the US. She asked for a michael kors bag in 'coral'. It meant very little to me, but after some intense discussion about what colour coral actually is, I got to the till in Michael Kors. 2 hours later, I'm still in shock and muttering to myself.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:28 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I asked my darling daughter if she'd like anything bringing back from the US. She asked for a michael kors bag in 'coral'. It meant very little to me, but after some intense discussion about what colour coral actually is, I got to the till in Michael Kors. 2 hours later, I'm still in shock and muttering to myself.
I'd still be looking for a shop called 'Coral' :?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I asked my darling daughter if she'd like anything bringing back from the US. She asked for a michael kors bag in 'coral'. It meant very little to me, but after some intense discussion about what colour coral actually is, I got to the till in Michael Kors. 2 hours later, I'm still in shock and muttering to myself.
About $400 worth of lobster-colourerd handbag? I might have left it at the cash and come up with some excuse....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
About $400 worth of lobster-colourerd handbag? I might have left it at the cash and come up with some excuse....
It'll be out of fashion by September anyway. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I had to return with a Michael Kors two weeks ago. Think I'm scot free this go. Where shouts in TX are you Bob?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I had to return with a Michael Kors two weeks ago. Think I'm scot free this go. Where shouts in TX are you Bob?
I think he said he was in Schertz, a suburb of San Antonio that I had never heard of until I read his post.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm

It was indeed Schertz but now we're in Dallas. Lovely city so far although I'm amazed how small Dealey Plaza is. One of the places I e always wanted to visit ticked off. You anywhere nearby Worthy?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 03, 2015 2:34 am

Bijou Bob wrote:It was indeed Schertz but now we're in Dallas. Lovely city so far although I'm amazed how small Dealey Plaza is. One of the places I e always wanted to visit ticked off. You anywhere nearby Worthy?
Nearby is all a bit relative in Texas. I was in Houston, so not near enough for a beer. Not been to Dallas fot a couple of years, but just done three weeks in Houston which last time I worked there had few redeeming features. Now it has craft beers, which has pushed it up a notch. Might be back, the week after next.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 03, 2015 4:31 am

Bijou Bob wrote:It was indeed Schertz but now we're in Dallas. Lovely city so far although I'm amazed how small Dealey Plaza is. One of the places I e always wanted to visit ticked off. You anywhere nearby Worthy?
Well, it's been preserved since 1963 when Dallas-Fort Worth was a little smaller. Never had the urge to visit it tbh.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Question for W.T.W or anyone who remembers or may do? Have a look at the link and click on the picture to enlarge it. Is my memory way out or is this and the description all wrong? I had an auntie on Darley Street and the Queens pub was our haunt after football training in Brownlow Fold School Gym. The front of the Queens (this is supposedly taken in 1964 from the Bolton Evening News) was opposite the City pub at the bottom of Escrick Street next to Back Darley Street and next door to a post office. Either this is taken a whole lot earlier, or what?

http://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.co.uk/ ... treet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 03, 2015 5:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Question for W.T.W or anyone who remembers or may do? Have a look at the link and click on the picture to enlarge it. Is my memory way out or is this and the description all wrong? I had an auntie on Darley Street and the Queens pub was our haunt after football training in Brownlow Fold School Gym. The front of the Queens (this is supposedly taken in 1964 from the Bolton Evening News) was opposite the City pub at the bottom of Escrick Street next to Back Darley Street and next door to a post office. Either this is taken a whole lot earlier, or what?

http://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.co.uk/ ... treet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The source of the photo doesn't mention 1964 nor does does it speak of the BEN. It says only it was discovered in 1966 and is part of the Bolton Archives.
So I suspect it could have been taken earlier.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 5:17 pm

^^

Top line of...http://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.co.uk/ ... treet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 1964 I played football for both Brownlow Fold in Saturday League and Mount Street Tavern in the Sunday League, Monty. Brownlow Fold school was about fifty yards from the Queens and our football local. In 1964 it didn't look anything like that picture. That was my query.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 03, 2015 6:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^^

Top line of...http://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.co.uk/ ... treet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 1964 I played football for both Brownlow Fold in Saturday League and Mount Street Tavern in the Sunday League, Monty. Brownlow Fold school was about fifty yards from the Queens and our football local. In 1964 it didn't look anything like that picture. That was my query.
I know - I was just adding data to support your theory.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:^^

I know - I was just adding data to support your theory.
Ah, right, apologies. It must actually have been some time before 1964 (63-64 the years of the big freeze, no League football for three months, didn't stop us though) :D My auntie lived in Darley Street and there was a back street before the Queens at that time. I do remember The Woodman pub though. GTE might remember, or as I said W.T.W.?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 04, 2015 12:22 am

The comments to the photo' mention the Anglia parked down the street. I looked at the image before I read those comments and my first guess was that it was an Anglia, although not certain. At a further guess it's a 123 version. Those came out in the very early sixties, which would date the photograph from then on. Given that there's no other car in sight leads me to believe that it's probably not much later than '65. I base that purely on my experience here in Oz where cars were a luxury few could afford until the late '50s when private car sales began to rise quite quickly and by the mid '60s were the 'must have' item in order to keep up with the Joneses (and reduce reliance on public transport).

Of course it's all surmising on my part.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 am

Just a sad day.
Daughters little Yorkie is 15/16 years old. One of the nicest, most harmless animals I've ever encountered.Tiny little thing, hardly weighs as much as a bag of sugar and could fit in my cap.
Loved her saucer of tea and always made a fuss of everybody when we visit. Daughter has spent a lot of money on vets bills, x-rays and scans but the poor little creaure has cancer, is coughing badly now, is obviously in pain and the day has come. She goes down at tea-time today. So sorry for daughter and granddaughter who will be wrecked. If there's a dog Heaven she's a cert for a place.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

^ sad news - I know all too well how it feels to have to have a dog put to sleep...