Beckham to join LA in summer

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Why the hostility to Beckham? He played hard for England, and I always appreciated watching him play. It's not like we're rivals with an MLS team.

Perhaps b/c I live outside the circus that is the English sport/celebrity media I have a different view. Looking in from the outside, especially from the US, he always gave a good account of himself.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:37 pm

americantrotter wrote:Why the hostility to Beckham? He played hard for England, and I always appreciated watching him play. It's not like we're rivals with an MLS team.

Perhaps b/c I live outside the circus that is the English sport/celebrity media I have a different view. Looking in from the outside, especially from the US, he always gave a good account of himself.
When a player who whines on to the News of the World about the fact that he is still good enough and should still be in the team, then turns down a chance to play in the Premiership again to try and regain that honour by moving to America simply for the money deserves everything he gets. Especially when he claims he's not doing it for the money (with a straight face!!)

He obviously thinks we are all as dumb as his money chasing talentless wife! Sorry I just hate it when wankers get a free and easy ride through life e.g. by being crap at what they do (Victoria Beckham) or just a fxcking idiot (Jade from big brother)

If he's going for the cash then fair enough. I just hope to him upstairs that he never whines about being kicked out of the England team because to be frank, he's just proven that 'soccer' is simply a sideline for him.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm not sure where the Beckham hostility is from either. He's been a very good player who has marketed what he has got very effectively. I'm not going to hold that against him. I believe him when he says it's not all about the money - L.A. is a very nice place to live for a family like the Beckhams, and the MLS is an emerging league that Beckham could play a big role in driving forward. Djorkaeff was similarly excited about the sport in the USA and was keen to be part of it and make his own contribution to its development, albeit for a salary of only £150k a year. After being a top player for two of the world's biggest clubs, Beckham doesn't have that much to prove in the game over here. Only an idiot would turn down that kind of money and lifestyle to come and grind away in England at somewhere like Bolton at this stage in his career.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:03 pm

malcd1 wrote:There is no doubt his 5 year salary (Yes I can't believe it 5 BLOODY years when he has been a has-been for the last 4) will be based on image rights, merchandise and sponsorship percentages.

PS Can I punch the first person I see in a LA Galaxy football top please.
:crazy: :whack:
:evil: :whack:
Only if I can give 'em a good kicking after you're done
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:04 pm

£50k a year actually.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:09 pm

I can't understand it when people say Beckham doesn't take the football sides seriously when infact its the exact opposite. How many players have contributed to football by opening up academies in the US and over here? His effort and endeavour on the pitch is something on the pitch, not many player match his workrate. Add into the mix, he is actually quite a good footballer!

I still for the life don't understand why he was suddenly dropped from the England squad, it wasn't for footballing reasons and I can sympathise with him over that, it seemed to me that Beckham was the fall guy of the Erikkson era.

Although I'll be astonished if the MLS takes off, it has the NASL mark II written all over it. There simply doesn't seem to be an appetite for football over there and I can see the MLS going down the path of being a place where older stars go to get their final pay day.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm

americantrotter wrote:Why the hostility to Beckham? He played hard for England, and I always appreciated watching him play. It's not like we're rivals with an MLS team.

I'm not anti-Beckham at all and don't blame him for taking the offer. I do think the Galaxy may have taken leave of their senses and overestimated what Becks can do for the sport over here.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:38 pm

I hope I didn't give the impression I don't like him; I just find it's a big big financial gamble on a fading player. I suppose AEG can afford it, eh?

I've nowt against him, I think he's honest enough, even if he's surrounded by wankers. But those wankers are going to have to work very hard for him now if he's to become anything like famous in America. He was forever on the back pages here because he was one of the best of his generation at playing the nation's favourite and most high-profile sport; marrying an equally photogenic and fame-hungry pop star secured the transition from back page to front. However, beside the fact that he's still quite photogenic (and she's trying her best to emulate the anatomically impossible dimensions of a Barbie doll), will he get all that much media coverage over there? Would the average American open whatever-the-equivalent-of-Heat-magazine-is and go "Oh look, there's that Derek Beckman character, goody"? Because celebrity feeds upon itself, with only a little help from the PR folk; you can have the hardest-working pluggers in the world, but it won't get you coverage if the media outlets don't know you from a hole in the wall.

To put it into context (and I know there's an NFL thread on this forum), what effect would it have if Johnny Madeupname, who was the world's greatest American Footballer five years ago, came to play gridiron here? (Is there a league?) Would it help popularise the game? Possibly so; possibly negligibly. It may be that signing Beckham is interesting news for people who watch the MLS anyway and maybe one or two curious US-based expat football fans (eg, AT saying he'd pop by when the Galaxy visit town), but the great unknowing will carry on in sweet blissful ignorance.

I hope Beckham's arrival inspires the upcoming generation of soccer-playing US kids to keep it going as they age, but I have my doubts that the game will ever break through to a serious-level adult spectator and participation sport. I hope I'm wrong.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

It's Really the end

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 pm

BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6259063.stm

I was mocked at work yesterday for suggesting he'd come for a farewell tour of the Prem. Maybe he still won't - he could just feck off to LA now, train, start in April - but this seems to close the door on Spain, doesn't it?

Real coach calls time on Beckham

Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has revealed that David Beckham will not play for the club again after agreeing to sign for Los Angeles Galaxy.

Capello said: "Beckham will train with the team but he won't play."

The Italian refused to elaborate on whether Beckham would go out on loan for the final six months of his contract at The Bernabeu.

A loan deal is highly unlikely, but Capello said: "You will have to ask Beckham that question."

No shxt Sherlock
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by No shxt Sherlock » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Just read in the News of the World an article about David Beckham going to LA in the summer and how he would of liked to move back to the UK and play in the Premiership thats if a new deal with Real Madrid did not happen.

A quote from Victoria Beckham "I fear that the former England hero would be humilitated asking (Quote) CAN YOU REALLY SEE US IN BOTON" Can you believe your eyes.

When i read this i did chuckle to myself, Just imagine David Beckham playing for Bolton Wanderers, (If only dreams would come true)
Come on the mighty Wanderers

Bwfcraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bwfcraig » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:10 pm

bigsam wrote:Just read in the News of the World an article about David Beckham going to LA in the summer and how he would of liked to move back to the UK and play in the Premiership thats if a new deal with Real Madrid did not happen.

A quote from Victoria Beckham "I fear that the former England hero would be humilitated asking (Quote) CAN YOU REALLY SEE US IN BOTON" Can you believe your eyes.

When i read this i did chuckle to myself, Just imagine David Beckham playing for Bolton Wanderers, (If only dreams would come true)
Becks in a Bolton shirt - yep, pure fantasy, espically with his mansion for a contract that he'll be getting in LA.
Heh, now Becks reckons he still has an England future aswell, only call up he'll be getting is to coach methinks.
Theres also talk of the MLS buying out the rest of Beckham's contract since he wont be getting any games - there worse than Chelski for throwing money at problems that wont go away :wink:
http://www.premierleague.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chelski

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:16 pm

I will give him 12 months before he hangs up his boots. He is in the twilight of his career (Even though he is still in his very early 30's) and 20K a week would be an appropriate fee for a fading light. He has never been able to tackle, head or beat a man with either skill or pace. His legs went a number of years ago so he is now at snail pace.

A good player over 5 years ago but nowhere near one of the best players in the world. Over rated at his best but idolised for his 'boyish' good looks. A short term contract would have been more appropriate for the MLS.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:No club can afford it based on just ticket sales. This is a much more complex financing package than any other transfer. This is an investment in Brand Beckham as a marketing exercise as much, if not more than, in the player. The money is coming from the owner's pocket and probably sponsors' pockets rather than any delving in to the club coffers.
True. It's a massive gamble on a fading name.
You know it's a fading name, I know it's a fading name, but most people here still think he is racking up trophies with Manchester United.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:To put it into context (and I know there's an NFL thread on this forum), what effect would it have if Johnny Madeupname, who was the world's greatest American Footballer five years ago, came to play gridiron here? (Is there a league?) Would it help popularise the game? Possibly so; possibly negligibly. It may be that signing Beckham is interesting news for people who watch the MLS anyway and maybe one or two curious US-based expat football fans (eg, AT saying he'd pop by when the Galaxy visit town), but the great unknowing will carry on in sweet blissful ignorance.
Obviously the comparison doesn't really work, because soccer is actually the number 1 participation sport amongst American kids of primary school age (so there is arguably some foundation for the idea that watching football could take off, because so many play it), but that is a very interesting way of looking at it and not one that I've read anywhere else.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Let's hope L.A. included a "Stay Away from Tom Cruise" clause in his contract, because if he converts to Scientology, it's all over for him.