British Summer Time

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: British Summer Time

Post by The Axman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:23 pm

The Axman wrote:
Sponge wrote: Is that text in the frame to the right of the clock? If so, can I ask what it is? It almost looks like one of Robert Walser's microscripts (http://catranslation.org/blog/wp-conten ... cripts.jpg).
It's a map of Derbyshire roads and towns (in bottom right) with distance tables between the towns (top and left).
Here's a piccy

It's engraved by Van Langeren and published by Thomas Jenner in "A Direction for the English Traveller"
Mine's not coloured.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:42 pm

If you had to set them all to BST, how come only the two left ones show the same time? (Granted the cat may have been taken at another time but the three on the right seem to show different times).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:If you had to set them all to BST, how come only the two left ones show the same time? (Granted the cat may have been taken at another time but the three on the right seem to show different times).
You're very observant Monty. You got OCD by any chance?
Two on the left - photo taken day before yesterday, time correct to BST. Cat augenwender (middle) old photo from last summer. Three on the left (again old photo), as you correctly point out different times... because: the nearest one is a cuckoo and quail and it bongs and calls out the quarter hours (in quail voice) as well as bongs and calls out the hours (in cuckoo voice) and as such drives my missus up the wall, so it only 'goes' on special occassions or when the missus is away; the middle one is showing the time, as it would have been, correctly; while the one furthest away, if you look carefully, has no weight, no pendulum, and no hands, and no pediment on top, because I'd only just purchased it and hung it that very day, and had yet to restore it to its full glory.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 pm

The Axman wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:If you had to set them all to BST, how come only the two left ones show the same time? (Granted the cat may have been taken at another time but the three on the right seem to show different times).
You're very observant Monty. You got OCD by any chance?
Two on the left - photo taken day before yesterday, time correct to BST. Cat augenwender (middle) old photo from last summer. Three on the left (again old photo), as you correctly point out different times... because: the nearest one is a cuckoo and quail and it bongs and calls out the quarter hours (in quail voice) as well as bongs and calls out the hours (in cuckoo voice) and as such drives my missus up the wall, so it only 'goes' on special occassions or when the missus is away; the middle one is showing the time, as it would have been, correctly; while the one furthest away, if you look carefully, has no weight, no pendulum, and no hands, and no pediment on top, because I'd only just purchased it and hung it that very day, and had yet to restore it to its full glory.
I probably have many disorders but keep them undiagnosed by staying as far away from the mental health professionals as possible. I did notice the lack of hands but I supposed they could have electronic digital cuckoos these days....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 pm

thebish wrote:the cat's-eyes-move-with-pendulum clock - very cool indeed!!
Aye, here you go...

....................Tick...................................................................................Tock.........................

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 pm

The Axman wrote: Image
An' I'd a gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddlin' kids!
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:25 pm

8) I want one!

(but not with a cuckoo in it!)

actually - I was given a fabulous westminster chime grandfather clock with a really deep sonorous chime.... it's fantastic - and very reassuring to hear its slow tick and it chiming the hours on a long sleepless night...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 pm

thebish wrote:8) I want one!

actually - I was given a fabulous westminster chime grandfather clock with a really deep sonorous chime.... it's fantastic - and very reassuring to hear its slow tick and it chiming the hours on a long sleepless night...
See - its ticking and tocking would send me to sleep (but not the chiming - which I'd set to 'off'', remove the chimey thing etc.).

I regularly put a load of washing on before I go to bed and leave the doors from the kitchen to my bedroom ajar, as I find the sound incredibly therapeutic.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

See - its ticking and tocking would send me to sleep (but not the chiming - which I'd set to 'off'', remove the chimey thing etc.).

I regularly put a load of washing on before I go to bed and leave the doors from the kitchen to my bedroom ajar, as I find the sound incredibly therapeutic.
I stayed one time (the day we played Yeovil away in the cup, in fact ... when Hierro played and, for the first time by high, was astonished at his ability) in The George Hotel, Piercebridge ... in Co. Durham.

This is where the clock which inspired the song "My Grandfather's Clock" stood. Just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cliff ... otel_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:49 pm

You've lost me Bruce with the Scooby Doo stuff (Which is unfortunate; I like to be down wit' da kids).

I'll look out for one for you Bish, you can get augenwenders that aren't cuckoos, but all augenwenders are rare I'm afraid.

Cheers for the anecdote there Bobo (Lord Mayor of St. Asaph).

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 am

I bought a pendulum wind-up clock for my wife many years ago. It was nothing flash but was brand new and reasonably well made. I thought it looked pretty good in our entrance foyer, but, unfortunately, I didn't know that my wife hates clocks with loud ticks and tocks. Mind you the chiming was a bit dissonant and rather loud - even though it was downstairs and the main living area was above. Occasionally I'd wind up the thing but eventually the pawl controlling the strike rate must have broken. That resulted in the damned thing striking at the rate of a Gatling gun's rapid fire mode. Even I couldn't accept that so it was put into storage and eventually sold for some ridiculously small amount at a garage sale.

A cuckoo clock, Axman, I have never owned. Given my earlier experience I don't think I'll be buying one any time soon. You have my admiration, sir.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 am

thebish wrote:the cat's-eyes-move-with-pendulum clock - very cool indeed!!
... & people find clowns scary !?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

we used to sit one of our kids in front of the washing machine in his bouncy chair when he was a baby as it lulled him to sleep... doesn't work now!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

we used to sit one of our kids in front of the washing machine in his bouncy chair when he was a baby as it lulled him to sleep... doesn't work now!
I'm not surprised. Bouncy chairs aren't designed for teenagers ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm not surprised. Bouncy chairs aren't designed for teenagers ;)

those old-fashioned bouncy chairs are surprisingly strong!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:38 am

bobo the clown wrote:
This is where the clock which inspired the song "My Grandfather's Clock" stood. Just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cliff ... otel_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been for lunch there :shock: Was very, very good, too.

Didn't see any mention of grandfather's clocks standing for 90 years on the floor, or anywhere else for that matter.

Wonder how true the story is? I love tales like that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

The Axman wrote:You've lost me Bruce with the Scooby Doo stuff (Which is unfortunate; I like to be down wit' da kids).
Well, in every single episode of Scooby Doo the culprit was a fraudulent fairground owner with a mask on that would hide behind a portrait of someone with the eyes cut out. At some point the bespectacled girl would have her specs knocked off and would crawl around on all fours asking "Where's my glaaaasses"? At the end of every episode the incumbents of the Mystery Machine (the van that they used to travel around in) would pull the offender's mask off to cries of "Why, it's old man Withers" to which he'd say "And I'd a gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddlin' kids". And that was it - every single week. You missed nowt, Chief. ;)

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
The Axman wrote:You've lost me Bruce with the Scooby Doo stuff (Which is unfortunate; I like to be down wit' da kids).
Well, in every single episode of Scooby Doo the culprit was a fraudulent fairground owner with a mask on that would hide behind a portrait of someone with the eyes cut out. At some point the bespectacled girl would have her specs knocked off and would crawl around on all fours asking "Where's my glaaaasses"? At the end of every episode the incumbents of the Mystery Machine (the van that they used to travel around in) would pull the offender's mask off to cries of "Why, it's old man Withers" to which he'd say "And I'd a gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddlin' kids". And that was it - every single week. You missed nowt, Chief. ;)
But at least now I can pretend I've watched it. :lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I've been for lunch there :shock: Was very, very good, too.

Didn't see any mention of grandfather's clocks standing for 90 years on the floor, or anywhere else for that matter.

Wonder how true the story is? I love tales like that.
It might be, though it was written by an American.
"My Grandfather's Clock" is a song written in 1876 by Henry Clay Work, the author of "Marching Through Georgia". It is a standard of British brass bands and colliery bands, and is also popular in bluegrass music.

Most accounts say the song was inspired by the George Hotel, a wayfarers' inn in Piercebridge on the border of Yorkshire and County Durham. The hotel was owned and operated by two brothers called Jenkins, and in the lobby was an upright longcase clock. The clock kept perfect time until one of the brothers died, after which it lost time at an increasing rate, despite the best efforts of the hotel staff and local clockmakers to repair it. When the other brother died, the clock stopped, never to go again. It is said that in 1875 Henry Clay Work visited the hotel and based "My Grandfather's Clock" on the stories he heard there.[citation needed]
The phrase 'citation needed' might inspire some doubt. One would have thought you could not miss the clock if the story is true, though what a yank was doing in Teeside I cannot imagine. Clearly further checking required.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: The phrase 'citation needed' might inspire some doubt. One would have thought you could not miss the clock if the story is true, though what a yank was doing in Teeside I cannot imagine. Clearly further checking required.
Why not a Yank in Teeside, after all George Washington hails from Tyne & Wear, and Connecticut Yankees have been hanging around Camelot for years. :wink: