Le Tour!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Le Tour!

Post by Athers » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 pm

French love protesting at Le Tour but rather than just blocking the road this one is really dangerous - top of a mountain meaning they were starting descending straight after the punctures.. at top speed, believe the leader of the King of the Mountains came off and broke his collarbone.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
seanworth wrote:Waste of a day today as some idiot decided to sabotage the race by throwing tacks on the road.
Seriously? Why would anyone do that? Someone involved with an ulterior motive or just some knob? :?
Frenchie.

Knob.

Anything more needed, just ask.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
seanworth wrote:Waste of a day today as some idiot decided to sabotage the race by throwing tacks on the road.
Seriously? Why would anyone do that? Someone involved with an ulterior motive or just some knob? :?
Frenchie.

Knob.

Anything more needed, just ask.
Of course. Foolishness on my behalf. :oops:

We'll have to get tacks of our own out the next time that the surly feck* are running away!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hmm. Well, the tacks were thrown
a) in the Pyrenees
b) After the leading Spanish rider had passed

Just some nob I'd say.b
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
Is that you being insightful? I've no idea. My question was simple. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
The thought had never even crossed my mind. Dying to hear if you heard that somewhere or came up with it by yourself Monty. Mind you I would only assume that was to help him win the stage silnce both the spanish riders in a run to win the stage were an hour or so behind the overall leader.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 am

seanworth wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
The thought had never even crossed my mind. Dying to hear if you heard that somewhere or came up with it by yourself Monty. Mind you I would only assume that was to help him win the stage silnce both the spanish riders in a run to win the stage were an hour or so behind the overall leader.
I know nothing and was just making a cynical comment. However the Tour has a history (from the 1930s) of people throwing tacks on the road to nobble favourites. Indeed it was almost permanently cancelled because of this.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 am

Jimmy Carr won that stage. He's great at tacks evasion.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Andy Waller wrote:Jimmy Carr won that stage. He's great at tacks evasion.
Booooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Get off!
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:27 am

Been away for the last couple of weeks so not been following as closely, but managed to catch some bits of highlights on Catalonian TV. Sky have done a great job for Wiggans, and I'm really pleased for Froome who has shown so much energy and endurance on the climbs, whilst putting a good time trial in. He'll definitely win it for years to come.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
Interestingly enough (or not) my dad and BiL were both present just down the hill form the incident and said both the French and the French Press were effusive in their praise of Bradley Wiggin's actions afterwards. Having been present myself in the past, its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is, and as the race director pointed out, it'd be nigh on impossible to stop these acts from taking place. You'll always get dickheads, be it football or whatever sport, thats just life I s'pose.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
Interestingly enough (or not) my dad and BiL were both present just down the hill form the incident and said both the French and the French Press were effusive in their praise of Bradley Wiggin's actions afterwards. Having been present myself in the past, its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is, and as the race director pointed out, it'd be nigh on impossible to stop these acts from taking place. You'll always get dickheads, be it football or whatever sport, thats just life I s'pose.
Still surprises me though with the number of cameras, both official and spectators that they couldn't have found out who threw the tacks. It's not like one can just jump in a car are speed off into the sunset from the top of that stage.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:33 pm

jimbo wrote:Been away for the last couple of weeks so not been following as closely, but managed to catch some bits of highlights on Catalonian TV. Sky have done a great job for Wiggans, and I'm really pleased for Froome who has shown so much energy and endurance on the climbs, whilst putting a good time trial in. He'll definitely win it for years to come.
I actually feel bad for Froome. I understand how these races are done, but Froome is clearly by far the best rider in the Tour this year. He could have left Wiggins in his tracks so many times during the mountain stages this year it wasn't even funny. Great time for cycling in the U.k. right now.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 pm

seanworth wrote:
jimbo wrote:Been away for the last couple of weeks so not been following as closely, but managed to catch some bits of highlights on Catalonian TV. Sky have done a great job for Wiggans, and I'm really pleased for Froome who has shown so much energy and endurance on the climbs, whilst putting a good time trial in. He'll definitely win it for years to come.
I actually feel bad for Froome. I understand how these races are done, but Froome is clearly by far the best rider in the Tour this year. He could have left Wiggins in his tracks so many times during the mountain stages this year it wasn't even funny. Great time for cycling in the U.k. right now.
Yeah, I agree I feel sorry for him as well. Just pleased in the sense that he has really shown that he can do it and has earned himself a team leader spot somewhere for next year. He deserves that. He beat Wiggans in the Vuelta last year, but that was arguably down to Wiggans not being in best shape after his #collarbone in the Tour, but he's shown he's more than capable of beating him this last couple of weeks.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 am

seanworth wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Seriously? Why would anyone do that? Someone involved with an ulterior motive or just some knob? :?
a) in the Pyrenees

Just some nob I'd say.b
Still surprises me though with the number of cameras, both official and spectators that they couldn't have found out who threw the tacks. It's not like one can just jump in a car are speed off into the sunset from the top of that stage.
Bradley is now known as Le Gentleman, which is fair enough. Sean, it is hard to pick out a perpetrator in a mob scene, even if they do have all those cameras. No doubt the Surete are demanding greater resolution in close ups etc. but they'll never find anyone.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am

seanworth wrote:
Did Wiggins fcuk your mother at some point?

It's not clear at all
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Talking to a neighbour today who says he saw a young bloke at the top of our road loading bikes on a car rack. Asked him if he rode in races. Turns out it's only Jason Kenny and he lives not much more than fifty yards from me. Never even knew. Small world.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 pm

its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is,

And it's even bigger than that. Superb work by Sky today. Cavendish ? I cannot praise enough. Who would of thought a predominately football orientated broadcast company (and Bond villianesque set up, apparantly, so I've been told allegedly) would provide the financial platform for a British TdF Winner? Funny old world innit? But as a clubman cyclist since 1970, I'm loving every minute!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Il Pirate wrote:its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is,

And it's even bigger than that. Superb work by Sky today. Cavendish ? I cannot praise enough. Who would of thought a predominately football orientated broadcast company (and Bond villianesque set up, apparantly, so I've been told allegedly) would provide the financial platform for a British TdF Winner? Funny old world innit? But as a clubman cyclist since 1970, I'm loving every minute!
Cycling has really taken off in the UK over the last 10 years and it's going to go stratospheric if Wiggans hangs in there. I'm really chuffed for folks like you IP who were voices in the wilderness of what was a tiny sport in the UK all them years ago. Have you read Matt Seatons book, The Escape Artist? It's a good read featuring competitive cycling in the UK in the 70s
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I still reserve the right to get angry when you defy the Highway Code and ride 10 abreast on country roads.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.