creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Anderson now his 305 Test wickets. The 4th best of any English bowler, ever.

Two more & he equals Freddie Truman's haul and 20 more will put him with Bob Willis. A good way off Ian Botham unfortunately.

All in all, some performance. The only sad thing being that, these days, an international is barely seen at his County.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm

When I first saw his action, head down, short run-up, really bangs his lead foot down on delivery, I thought he'd be either f*cked or f*cked off after a few tests. Fair play to him for demonstrating that what I actually know about cricket is written on the back of a fag packet in the space left over by the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:When I first saw his action, head down, short run-up, really bangs his lead foot down on delivery, I thought he'd be either f*cked or f*cked off after a few tests. Fair play to him for demonstrating that what I actually know about cricket is written on the back of a fag packet in the space left over by the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
To be fair he has had a "career of two halves" and I think you were correct initially.

He leant that sheer speed was impressive but not enough at Test level. Control and guile were more important. Late swing and, even, getting swing on days where you'd not expect it, have become his real strengths. So he's not as dynamic as a Lillie or Thompson, not as blistering as the great West Indians, but he's a very good player now because he bowls within himself. Mind you, I played a few times against fast bowlers who he would see off and, frankly, I used to more or less hope and pray.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote: A good way of Ian Botham unfortunately.
And Botham could bat. #alltimehero
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 am

From what I've read that test seems to have been incredibly topsy-turvy. I am in two minds as to whether to call it 'absorbing' or a 'debacle'. It's sad to see the Kiwis collapse in such a manner when they had so much time in hand to relax a bit and let the bad balls go by. Perhaps Broad didn't offer them too many bad balls in their second innings.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Dujon wrote:From what I've read that test seems to have been incredibly topsy-turvy. I am in two minds as to whether to call it 'absorbing' or a 'debacle'. It's sad to see the Kiwis collapse in such a manner when they had so much time in hand to relax a bit and let the bad balls go by. Perhaps Broad didn't offer them too many bad balls in their second innings.
It was absorbing. I think batting was hard going but neither side covered themselves in glory in that department.

New Zealand's second innings, they had the wrong approach. They came out to try and knock quick runs off, when the pitch and conditions did not dictate that style of play.

However, take nothing away from Broad, it was as good a spell of bowling as you're likely to see.

Anderson weren't half bad either.

To be honest in those conditions on a pitch like that I doubt many sides in history would fancy facing the England attack. I mean it was spinning quite wildly too, but Swann didn't even get a single delivery......

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 1:10 pm

couple of late-session wickets and we're 67-3... we'll be carrying some batting vulnerability into the Ashes series...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 25, 2013 2:44 pm

thebish wrote:couple of late-session wickets and we're 67-3... we'll be carrying some batting vulnerability into the Ashes series...
Basically it's a good job we've got a great attack. Cos our batting is piss poor.....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:couple of late-session wickets and we're 67-3... we'll be carrying some batting vulnerability into the Ashes series...
Basically it's a good job we've got a great attack. Cos our batting is piss poor.....
not sure I'd go that far!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

178 - 4 at tea. Piss poor, Insane?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:178 - 4 at tea. Piss poor, Insane?
248-4 now...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Joe Roooooooooooooooooooooooot..

the first Yorkshireman to score his maiden Test century at Headingley

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 pm

bruce's fault... mini collapse!! :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 25, 2013 6:22 pm

It's a decent batting pitch. In general I don't think we've covered ourselves in glory, Root and Bairstow aside.

Piss poor perhaps an overstatement. I don't think our batting line up is very good. I mean New Zealand have bowled well but they are not the most threatening attack we will face.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 25, 2013 6:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It's a decent batting pitch. In general I don't think we've covered ourselves in glory, Root and Bairstow aside.

Piss poor perhaps an overstatement. I don't think our batting line up is very good. I mean New Zealand have bowled well but they are not the most threatening attack we will face.
aye - but then (as they say) it's a funny old game... they will not perform the same way against NZ as they will in the Ashes...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

aye - but then (as they say) it's a funny old game... they will not perform the same way against NZ as they will in the Ashes...
Luckily I don't think the Aussie attack is that great either.......

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Fair comment. I was just startled somewhat by your 'piss-poor at batting' remark where 'a poor start to this particular innings' seemed more appropriate.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 pm

337 for 7 at close. Very decent, I think. Glad to see Prior knock a few after his pair.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Love Prior when he's cavaliering. Good stuff all round , Root and Bairstow in particular. NZ bowled very well and a bit of good batting needed to curb it. Good solid core in the batting department; when the star boys are off, the middle guys step up. B.W.F.Ci, there'll be some fishing on some channel or other, why not watch that?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Finn's having a good spell! 8)

and - Headingley - on a Sunny sunday afternoon - test cricket - and it's not full???

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Yorkshire!!