The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 pm

^ really sorry to hear that GtE. Had been wondering if there was any news on your injury. Hope surgery isn't needed.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:^ really sorry to hear that GtE. Had been wondering if there was any news on your injury. Hope surgery isn't needed.

Thanks. Hopefully it will heal on its own.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:I regret to say that I am doubtful for the Bolton Park Run at the end of October.

My MRI scan has confirmed a torn lateral Meniscus which, with rest, may heal. Worst case scenario I will need surgery to repair it but won't know this for a further 4 weeks.

I have to concentrate on the Ironman next year and so stopping now means I'll start the recuperation sooner. I can still swim and cycle though so I shouldn't balloon to the size of a small planetoid.

Sorry Chaps. I may still attend and cheer on so please, Bruce, keep me updated.

Yours,

Pissed off of Enfield
Oh no - disaster. I've no idea what a lateral Meniscus is, but I hope you're not in too much discomfort.

Hey ho, mate, perfectly understandable - just get yersen reet.

It'll be great if you can still make it up that weekend though anyway - yes of course I'll keep you posted.

And then this time next year I'll be able to say "Gary the IRONMAN Enfield? Oh yeah, he came to watch me run once". :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:I regret to say that I am doubtful for the Bolton Park Run at the end of October.

My MRI scan has confirmed a torn lateral Meniscus which, with rest, may heal. Worst case scenario I will need surgery to repair it but won't know this for a further 4 weeks.

I have to concentrate on the Ironman next year and so stopping now means I'll start the recuperation sooner. I can still swim and cycle though so I shouldn't balloon to the size of a small planetoid.

Sorry Chaps. I may still attend and cheer on so please, Bruce, keep me updated.

Yours,

Pissed off of Enfield
Oh no - disaster. I've no idea what a lateral Meniscus is, but I hope you're not in too much discomfort.

Hey ho, mate, perfectly understandable - just get yersen reet.

It'll be great if you can still make it up that weekend though anyway - yes of course I'll keep you posted.

And then this time next year I'll be able to say "Gary the IRONMAN Enfield? Oh yeah, he came to watch me run once". :mrgreen:

Let's not tempt fate eh?

Perhaps, if I can't run, you could do my run section as part of a relay. You've got 10 months to prepare........ :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Let's not tempt fate eh?

Perhaps, if I can't run, you could do my run section as part of a relay. You've got 10 months to prepare........ :wink:
Yeah, why not? :D

I can put you in touch with a mate who managed to complete it this year, having had to pull up the year before, if you're looking for any pointers?! Let me know.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Let's not tempt fate eh?

Yeah, why not? :D

I can put you in touch with a mate who managed to complete it this year, having had to pull up the year before, if you're looking for any pointers?! Let me know.

Thanks. I'll bear it in mind.

The lateral and medial meniscuses (menisci?) are little disc shaped shock absorbers located between the Femur and the Tibia.

Mine appears to be in the area where blood is supplied and therefore SHOULD heal with rest. The consultant also spotted bruising to the base of the Femur, consistent with a heavy blow or patella dislocation, neither of which I have sustained. Which is odd. :P

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Good luck with it GtE. Being positive there's plenty of time til the Ironman and you've got 2 other disciplines to keep you fit.
I jogged for 17 mins today on grass after sitting on my lazy arse doing nothing for 3 months doing nothing.
Will aim for that parkrun too but going to also try to cross train before I start running much. Off to the gym tonight, will aim not to become too muscle-bound to run with my Adonis-like physique! :mrgreen:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Blimey G that's bad luck. What's caused it? General wear and tear or an impact injury that you were aware of at the time? Take it easy

At this rate, whilst the rest of us regress, Bruce is going to win the park run :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Blimey G that's bad luck. What's caused it? General wear and tear or an impact injury that you were aware of at the time? Take it easy

At this rate, whilst the rest of us regress, Bruce is going to win the park run :wink:
Oh! You think so, do you? He'll beat me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Blimey G that's bad luck. What's caused it? General wear and tear or an impact injury that you were aware of at the time? Take it easy

:D well on current form he's going to kick my ar5e and when LE turns up all big guns and pumped up on iron, there's only you standing in his way!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

:D well on current form he's going to kick my ar5e and when LE turns up all big guns and pumped up on iron, there's only you standing in his way!
When was the last time you ran Harry?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Cue Chariots of Fire music with two portly 40+ blokes staggering dashing for the finish line!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

I'm operating on the premise that if I make out that I'm doing really well then BP will attempt to nobble me beforehand with a selection of Mrs BP's delectable comestibles. :)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

I'm operating on the premise that if I make out that I'm doing really well then BP will attempt to nobble me beforehand with a selection of Mrs BP's delectable comestibles. :)
Is that a euphemism? :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

I can only put it down to the training.

Anyway, recovery starts here. See you on the flipside. :mrgreen:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

When was the last time you ran Harry?!
Over a week ago. Wasn't enjoying it for various reasons. Hoping to properly crack on with it once I'm back off holiday. XC season starts soon, so that's as good a target as any

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

Finished Week 4 of the 5K plan on Friday and don't start Week 5 until tomorrow. Anyway, sat here bored so for the sheer hell of it decided to have a crack at running 3K non-stop. Took me 20:58, so not the fastest on earth, but hey, I did it. :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Finished Week 4 of the 5K plan on Friday and don't start Week 5 until tomorrow. Anyway, sat here bored so for the sheer hell of it decided to have a crack at running 3K non-stop. Took me 20:58, so not the fastest on earth, but hey, I did it. :)
good job! (though Laura won't be happy at your premature burst!)

If Enfield is the Iron Man of the forum - you must be at least making a bid for Tin Man by now?? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:55 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Finished Week 4 of the 5K plan on Friday and don't start Week 5 until tomorrow. Anyway, sat here bored so for the sheer hell of it decided to have a crack at running 3K non-stop. Took me 20:58, so not the fastest on earth, but hey, I did it. :)
good job! (though Laura won't be happy at your premature burst!)

If Enfield is the Iron Man of the forum - you must be at least making a bid for Tin Man by now?? :wink:
Cheers, Bish. I'm afraid I'm still the Fat Man of the forum, but I'm working on it. ;)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:54 pm

I ran round a field for 20 mins and 8 seconds. Still no apparent injury recurrence. Spin class tomorrow again. And drank only 4 beers all weekend.not including meeting mates tonight