You take the high road...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: You take the high road...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Well, I doubt the locals would know what he meant by "Dosh shrevetha" anyway. :)
:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 am

It is now 5.00 am your time and Glasgow has just come in. The Scots must be slow counters - in our elections we know the (predicted) result within an hour of the polls closing but it was still up in the air at 4.00 am in Scotland. Yes closed to within 1000 votes after Dundee came in. Then No pulled away so even the Glasgow win doesn't seem nearly enough. I'm off to bed feeling fairly sure of a No win by a bigger margin than I predicted.

I had suggested 1% would not understand the question. I noted the most common reason for a rejected ballot was voting for both options!

I was very impressed by the turnouts. They seemed almost Albanian in some areas.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 am

They're staying.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:39 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:They're staying.
Do we now get asked if we want them ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

I am glad that they have voted to stay.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 am

Salmond en Croute. Yeaaaaaaay :oyea:

May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 am

Now, will the one trick Donkey and his Mare resign, after all they had one policy, destroy the UK and failed!

Lets hope the parties are now lulled into a false sense of security about referendums and we get one on Europe :mrgreen:

Just heard one jerk on the radio claim, the no voters are not proper Scots :lmfao:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04 am

Hoboh wrote:Now, will the one trick Donkey and his Mare resign, after all they had one policy, destroy the UK and failed!
You're fecking joking aren't you? Expect an eternity of his banging on about the devolved policies not being delivered quickly enough, accurately, as promised etc. and how under him in an independent Scotland it would all have been sooooooooo much better. :roll:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:14 am

Hoboh wrote:Now, will the one trick Donkey and his Mare resign, after all they had one policy, destroy the UK and failed!

Lets hope the parties are now lulled into a false sense of security about referendums and we get one on Europe :mrgreen:

Just heard one jerk on the radio claim, the no voters are not proper Scots :lmfao:
So you think Scotland leaving the UK - Bad. But UK leaving EU - Good. Is that right?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:45 am

Beefheart wrote:

So you think Scotland leaving the UK - Bad. But UK leaving EU - Good. Is that right?
Yep.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
You're fecking joking aren't you? Expect an eternity of his banging on about the devolved policies not being delivered quickly enough, accurately, as promised etc. and how under him in an independent Scotland it would all have been sooooooooo much better. :roll:

^ is probably the right answer...

though I think it will be interesting to see how this affects the forthcoming General Election in Scotland...

it COULD rejuvenate Scottish Labour who COULD argue that now they are firmly IN the UK, the best way to bring about change in Scotland is to vote for a party that COULD be in power in the UK - namely the labour party...

but then - just about anything else could happen instead!

you could argue of all the major political parties - Labour is the best representative of the WHOLE of the UK and its constituent parts...

as for Cameron and his new-found passion for english nationalism... that simply sounds like a break-up of the UK to me - the opposite of what the Better Together campaign has been campaigning for...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

I think the most important issue this morning is that my prediction of a 55-45 split was within 0.3%. Yay me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:12 am

Don't put too much money on Mrs Murray winning Strictly Come Voting.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 am

LeverEnd wrote:I think the most important issue this morning is that my prediction of a 55-45 split was within 0.3%. Yay me.
the BBC political correspondent made refernce to your awesome prediction on radio 5 this morning... :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 am

I think we should e-petition to have an English Referendum around whether we want to maintain a Union with the Sweaties.

That would be a good laugh.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Salmond will claim this as a moral victory and pretend that this was the plan all along.. To stay amongst the UK, but to be given more power..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 pm

boltonboris wrote:Salmond will claim this as a moral victory and pretend that this was the plan all along.. To stay amongst the UK, but to be given more power..
you're not wrong... and - as bruce says above - every single time any issue comes up at all where there is a problem in Scotland, he will claim that it would never have been a problem for an Independant Scotland.

did anyone else notice in his admission-of-defeat speech that he said summat like "Scotland has voted not to become an Independant country at this stage." he slipped that one in!!

The Better Together campaign have been FAR more gracious in victory than Salmond ever would have been - He would have been on an open top bus draped in the Saltire touring the whole of scotland with his troops face-painted saltire-blue, flag-waving... there will be none of that from the Better Together campaign (They are more rerstrained than I would have been - I would have had union-flag painted open-top busses all over scotland playing the national anthem - the real one!!!)

yet - I was impressed with Johann Lamont this morning - who went out of her way to say how all of scotland should admire Salmond for the way he has tirelessly fought for the opportunity to put this question democratically to the scottish people all his political life. she didn't need to do that - and he certainly would not have taken the time to praise her if the boot had been on the other foot....

(salmond didn't even win in his own consituency...)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:44 pm

And William Wallace's home town, Stirling also voted NO
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:33 pm

boltonboris wrote:And William Wallace's home town, Stirling also voted NO
That was an odd one as was the size of the the No vote in Angus. The heavy Yes vote in Dundee sticks out like a sore thumb too.

Felt very patriotic putting my wee saltire in the No box. Can't find anyone at work who voted Yes today. The only one I know who did is nursing a hangover at home.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:And William Wallace's home town, Stirling also voted NO
Indeed. Stirling is the only place in Scotland where I've every been made to feel particularly unwelcome on the grounds of me being English, by everyone!!!