Politics, The Election May 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
30%
Conservatives
30%
Liberal Democrats
5%
UKIP
15%
Green Party
13%
SNP
3%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 40

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Politics, The Election May 2015

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I keep hearing young people aren't engaged in politics but I'm hearing more and more from old gimmers like Tango :wink: that they're weary with it all too. Lowest turn out ever this time?
Thing is Harry, we don't vote for politicians to make London the centre of the universe, we vote for our home town lives. I've lived in and around Bolton (Westhoughton, Farnworth) all my life, but the Bolton I've known and loved for so long is gone and I don't really give one about what Cameron, Milliband or Boris Johnson and co do or think. Their only interest for me is what they do that benefits us all and right now, that isn't a lot. It doesn't affect me that much, my time's done, but I'd love my grandkids to grow up loving their town as I have. It'll be hard.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I keep hearing young people aren't engaged in politics but I'm hearing more and more from old gimmers like Tango :wink: that they're weary with it all too. Lowest turn out ever this time?
Thing is Harry, we don't vote for politicians to make London the centre of the universe, we vote for our home town lives. I've lived in and around Bolton (Westhoughton, Farnworth) all my life, but the Bolton I've known and loved for so long is gone and I don't really give one about what Cameron, Milliband or Boris Johnson and co do or think. Their only interest for me is what they do that benefits us all and right now, that isn't a lot. It doesn't affect me that much, my time's done, but I'd love my grandkids to grow up loving their town as I have. It'll be hard.
an MP has very little effect on the development of a town/local community - it's the local elections you need for that...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:49 pm

thebish wrote:
an MP has very little effect on the development of a town/local community - it's the local elections you need for that...
I used Bolton as an example of the general state of the country. You want to tell me who to vote for to improve it all?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
I used Bolton as an example of the general state of the country. You want to tell me who to vote for to improve it all?
nope! didn't mean to offend! Just pointing out that the Bolton your grandchildren might or might not be proud to live in and the state of its buildings will not be all that much determined by which MP you have - not as much as by which local counsellors you have - that's all!

that state of your local NHS healthcare services might (should you need them) well be affected by the national government... but, you can read the party manifestos and make up your own mind on that issue!

Also - your grandchildren will be affected by the different stances the national govt. might or might not take on housing/education/welfare...

go ahead and don't vote - but I'm not buying that it makes no difference...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
Probably not no-one.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:See, this is why we need a 'none of the above' option.
Closest round here is this dude...

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/12876 ... _painting/

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:24 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
nope! didn't mean to offend! Just pointing out that the Bolton your grandchildren might or might not be proud to live in and the state of its buildings will not be all that much determined by which MP you have - not as much as by which local counsellors you have - that's all!

that state of your local NHS healthcare services might (should you need them) well be affected by the national government... but, you can read the party manifestos and make up your own mind on that issue!

Also - your grandchildren will be affected by the different stances the national govt. might or might not take on housing/education/welfare...

go ahead and don't vote - but I'm not buying that it makes no difference...
meaning and effect. you haven't learnt that lesson...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Probably but for the European malarkey I'd be in the same boat Tango, too many politicians are becoming nothing more than jumped up little shits who are clueless about the way most live or want to live. What is the point of shitloads of cash if you then have to entrust it to shady fcukers who won't lose a nights sleep if they loose it all, they haven't even got the decency to fall on their swords these days!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... fur-rahman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just be careful who you are voting for if you vote labour.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Some UKIPs called the police coz they thought Have I Got New For You was mean to Farrige :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Nigel Farage emerged the ratings winner in BBC1’s series of leader interviews with Evan Davis, watched by more viewers than tuned into David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg.

The Ukip leader’s encounter with Davis, in which he accused the Newsnight presenter of being a member of the “liberal metropolitan elite”, pulled in 2.5 million viewers, a 14% share, from 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Farage was up against ITV’s Coronation Street, which attracted 6.4 million viewers, a 33.7% share.

The Ukip leader drew half a million more viewers than watched any of the other leader interviews, with just over 2 million tuning into Davis’s head to head with the Lib Dems’ Nick Clegg on 13 April and just under 2 million watching his grilling of Labour leader Ed Miliband on 20 April.
Not bad for 'yesterdays man' or the 'bloke no one is interested in anymore'!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 01, 2015 8:25 am

Hoboh wrote:
Nigel Farage emerged the ratings winner in BBC1’s series of leader interviews with Evan Davis, watched by more viewers than tuned into David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg.

The Ukip leader’s encounter with Davis, in which he accused the Newsnight presenter of being a member of the “liberal metropolitan elite”, pulled in 2.5 million viewers, a 14% share, from 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Farage was up against ITV’s Coronation Street, which attracted 6.4 million viewers, a 33.7% share.

The Ukip leader drew half a million more viewers than watched any of the other leader interviews, with just over 2 million tuning into Davis’s head to head with the Lib Dems’ Nick Clegg on 13 April and just under 2 million watching his grilling of Labour leader Ed Miliband on 20 April.

He's a freak show and his party is a joke. Curiosity is what drew that audience figure. They want so see what he (or one of his lunatic fringe candidates) is going to say next.

Sick of hearing his 'man of the people' bollocks. A public school educated ex-City worker and ex Conservative Party member. He's part of the 'liberal metropolitan elite' that he espouses to despise. His party receives over £3million pounds in funding from the EU, the very body he's trying to extricate Britain from.

He's not even wanted in his Thanet constituency.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 01, 2015 8:35 am

Hoboh wrote:
:D Not long to go...

Are you still predicting man-of-the-moment Farage to win 10 seats - or are you ready to accept that it'll be more like the far-from-man-of-the-moment 3 seats? the SNP will have at least 10 times that number (3) of westminster seats...

I'd still say Farage is yesterday's news - The Sturge is where it's at - she's today's news!

heck - even Clegg will win 10 times the seats Farage does!!

do you reckon Farage will even BE an MP after the election? maybe he will - but it's far from certain...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 01, 2015 8:41 am

Just down the road from my house is a massive UKIP poster showing a sad fisherman on a gloomy day holding a dead fish declaring that the EU has killed his job and UKIP are the only ones who care... quite a number of folk make their living from fishing around here - they don't believe him... I wonder why?

fact is, Farage attended only ONE of the 42 Fisheries Committee meetings on which he sat for three years....

Nigel Farage (MEP) claims he works an “18-hour day”, making no apologies for sometimes breaking off for a “lunchtime pint”. But figures show that he has the 10th worst attendance record out of all 766 MEPs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 am

This robot army twitter thing the Tories keep doing is plain creepy. During last night's debate they all coincidentally happened to tweet about Cameron using the words "strong" and "commanding". Stop it stop it stop it!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri May 01, 2015 11:58 am

Prufrock wrote:This robot army twitter thing the Tories keep doing is plain creepy. During last night's debate they all coincidentally happened to tweet about Cameron using the words "strong" and "commanding". Stop it stop it stop it!
and they were all Grant Shapps.

Just watching the debate now as I was out last night. Cameron didn't answer the questions but Miliband's performance was full on cringeworthy. 'Look, Steve, it is Steve isn't it Steve? Yes, if I can answer your question directly, Steve, can I be absolutely clear? The Tories are nob eds!'

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 01, 2015 12:25 pm

:lol:

Calling people by name appears to be what they've decided wins elections. It's easier than ideas, I suppose.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Voters have been turned off in droves by Nigel Farage during the election campaign, a new poll claims.

The Ipsos MORI survey for the Standard found 38 per cent of people had developed a less favourable view of the Ukip leader in recent weeks, compared with 20 per cent whose opinion of him had improved.

by my calculations - that's 18 steps towards being yesterdays man!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 02, 2015 7:01 am

thebish wrote:Voters have been turned off in droves by Nigel Farage during the election campaign, a new poll claims.

The Ipsos MORI survey for the Standard found 38 per cent of people had developed a less favourable view of the Ukip leader in recent weeks, compared with 20 per cent whose opinion of him had improved.

by my calculations - that's 18 steps towards being yesterdays man!
I find it so strange you profess admiration for the wee Krankie and her bunch of nationalist thugs, a party hell bent on leaving the Union despite getting the best deals of anyone.
Seems there are a lot of two faced people about supporting the SNP while at the same time pledging allegiance to a bigger union with totally different outlooks and ways of life.
I hope the none thug Scottish anti nationalist voters come to their sense and kick wee jimmy in her nads next week, I'd love to see her explode in rage at the English 'plotting' against her.
BTW does your fetish with Farage not embarrass you? Or is UKIP going to deprive the church of loads of poor overseas souls that need saving?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat May 02, 2015 9:53 am

Ha, UKIP aren't going to do shit.

I do think Miliband is handling the SNP question terribly. He said under no circumstances he would work with them because he doesn't want to give away any of his manifesto. So he'd honestly rather see a Tory government than say only get 90% of his manifesto through? Trident isn't even an issue, both Labour and the Tories support it so SNP support is irrelevant. There's a chance here for a progressive centre-left alliance that can bring in reform to lock the nasty party out for a generation. Vote through electoral reform, House of Lords reform and lower the voting age to 16, then just call another election if you want. :conf: You aren't winning a majority, Ed.