The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Am I missing something on this benefits cap?

Other than disabled people with very specific needs, who the feck reckons they can't live off £26k?
a family of twelve living in inner london
If you breed 'em then you feed 'em - unless you want to tip up some of your hard earned, Your Eminence. :D
Trouble is that if people breed them but can't adequately feed em then by not providing adequate support and assistance then its the innocent kids who end up suffering...its tricky.

The question of what is adequate is also hard.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:39 am

thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Am I missing something on this benefits cap?

Other than disabled people with very specific needs, who the feck reckons they can't live off £26k?
a family of twelve living in inner london
If you breed 'em then you feed 'em - unless you want to tip up some of your hard earned, Your Eminence. :D
Pru only asked who reckons they can't live off £26K. I gave an example of a group who reckon so. I gave no opinion of my own at all - eminent or not - merely a matter of fact.
Welll, that's put me in my place. If I had said that you gave an opinion I would feel awful. Really awful. :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote: If you breed 'em then you feed 'em
:pray: Exact-o-fecking-mundo!!!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah but the question remains, those that have and can't and continue to and can't, what dya do?

Let the kids suffer?

Say "tough luck".....

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am

Put them into care. At least they'll get fed. I don't mind spending public money on that.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah but the question remains, those that have and can't and continue to and can't, what dya do?

Let the kids suffer?

Say "tough luck".....
I'd tell the kids "see what miserable wretched lives your having, well its down to those stupid half wit feckless basterds you call mum and dad so if you grow up mal adjusted you know were to go for revenge!"
Oh forgot sterilise the fuggers after 4 tops!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 am

"Thanks hobo for sort off backing me up with a nice graph on defence"

Don't worry Mr bish as they say down at Asda "always happy to help :mrgreen: "

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 pm

First Minister Alex Salmond says that right to vote in Scottish independence referendum in 2014 will be extended to 16 and 17 yr olds
JIMMY THE jOCK IS REALLY BECOMING AN IRRITATING TOOL NOW!!! WHAT NEXT A VOTE FORM IN THE MATERNITY WARD?

I really really hope all this shit goes tits up on Rob Roys party of blaggards

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Put them into care. At least they'll get fed. I don't mind spending public money on that.
kinda swims against your "those that breed 'em feed 'em" policy, though... some might say - it is the very opposite...

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 am

thebish wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Put them into care. At least they'll get fed. I don't mind spending public money on that.
kinda swims against your "those that breed 'em feed 'em" policy, though... some might say - it is the very opposite...
Only if they refuse or are unwilling or unable to feed 'em Bish. You do post some shit sometimes.

But I think you know that. :wink:
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:17 am

thebish wrote:
Only if they refuse or are unwilling or unable to feed 'em Bish. You do post some shit sometimes.

if you mean that the state pays for feeding children when the parents can't afford it - then "those that breed them feed them" is just a meaningless and empty posturing slogan that you don't actually mean.

You do post some shit sometimes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Dock their benefits further to feed every kid you have to take into care.

For a family with 12 kids, they lose £2k per year per kid in care. When there's none left turf the feck* out.

For a family with 4 kids, they lose 6k per year per kid in care - that might make them think a bit.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Hoboh wrote:Image

ON JUNE 8th China's top military brass confirmed that the country's first aircraft carrier, a refurbishment of an old Russian carrier, will be ready shortly. Only a handful of nations operate carriers, which are costly to build and maintain. Indeed, Britain has recently decommissioned its sole carrier because of budget pressures. China's defence spending has risen by nearly 200% since 2001 to reach an estimated $119 billion in 2010—though it has remained fairly constant in terms of its share of GDP. America's own budget crisis is prompting tough discussions about its defence spending, which, at nearly $700 billion, is bigger than that of the next 17 countries combined.

Source
Are you trying to disprove what I said here and put me down with a link to The Economist posted as a logo? :D

Spending is less than 5% of GDP, still too much and ripe for cutting yes, but that graph just shows how big their economy is. As well as fighting two wars they're needed to have a prescence in many areas of the world - the South China Sea for instance.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 pm

What I'd like to know is how much of these essential benefits gets spent on tabs, ale, lottery tickets, scratchcards, taxis to and from supermarkets, junk food and so on?!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:What I'd like to know is how much of these essential benefits gets spent on tabs, ale, lottery tickets, scratchcards, taxis to and from supermarkets, junk food and so on?!
for some people - as i am sure you can imagine if you try - it is cheaper to get a taxi to go supermarket shopping once a week than it is to own a car - insure it, tax it and buy the petrol...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:What I'd like to know is how much of these essential benefits gets spent on tabs, ale, lottery tickets, scratchcards, taxis to and from supermarkets, junk food and so on?!
for some people - as i am sure you can imagine if you try - it is cheaper to get a taxi to go supermarket shopping once a week than it is to own a car - insure it, tax it and buy the petrol...
And cheaper still to walk it!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 pm

What do we make of this OUTRAGE about the RBS boss then?

£1.2m salary of which £600k tax

£1m bonus in shares of which £500k tax
Matthew Sinclair, from campaign group the Taxpayers' Alliance, told the BBC the government should block any bonuses for Mr Hester until the taxpayers' investment in RBS is repaid.

"It's incredible that we're seeing a huge bonus which should be reflecting performance in the interest of shareholders and that's you and me," he said.
RBS has announced thousands of job cuts, although it recorded a £2bn profit in its most recent trading quarter, compared with a £1.6bn loss in the same period in 2010.

Hmmm. As a 'shareholder' (we're not) I'm quite pleased by that turnaround in performance, more quarters like that and a streamlined business will mean it's worth a lot more when it's sold... Paying the man is small beer.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
perhaps - but then you'd have to go more than once in order to carry it all (using up all that time that the gov wants you to be out looking for a job!) - and so many supermarkets are not placed conveniently close to low-cost housing anymore...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
perhaps - but then you'd have to go more than once in order to carry it all (using up all that time that the gov wants you to be out looking for a job!) - and so many supermarkets are not placed conveniently close to low-cost housing anymore...
And? We didn't have a car when I was a kid, didn't stop my mum walking the mile or so to Asda and back

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Athers wrote:What do we make of this OUTRAGE about the RBS boss then?

£1.2m salary of which £600k tax

£1m bonus in shares of which £500k tax
Matthew Sinclair, from campaign group the Taxpayers' Alliance, told the BBC the government should block any bonuses for Mr Hester until the taxpayers' investment in RBS is repaid.

"It's incredible that we're seeing a huge bonus which should be reflecting performance in the interest of shareholders and that's you and me," he said.
RBS has announced thousands of job cuts, although it recorded a £2bn profit in its most recent trading quarter, compared with a £1.6bn loss in the same period in 2010.

Hmmm. As a 'shareholder' (we're not) I'm quite pleased by that turnaround in performance, more quarters like that and a streamlined business will mean it's worth a lot more when it's sold... Paying the man is small beer.

I'm always in two (or perhaps three or four) minds about this...

1) he is already handsomely paid - are we paying him an extra million for basically doing his job?
2) he is a public sector worker (in effect) now - why do we use the argument that he would leave if we didn't pay him a bonus - but NOT use the same argument for a very hard working Fire Chief - who is also doing very important and successful work saving lives?
3) he hasn't really achieved all asked of him.... RBS are NOT delivering the targets for lending to small businesses that the gov set for them
4) the argument that he'd leave if we didn't pay him a bonus.... ok - call his bluff - there is no shortage of skilled bankers that would take his place in a shot to get paid £1.2million a year (before xtra benefits). We are told there aren't - but has a Bank Chief Executive job EVER been vacant for more than 20seconds? :wink:
5) the gov tells us forcefully they are absolutely against this - and yet this is the first and possibly only chance they have had to block it - and they haven't.
6) of course - on the other hand - blocking one man's bonus is not the way to deal with the wider problem of bank bonuses - I don't know what is - but it would seem unfair for his to be blocked as an example to others - and for all of theirs to be given because the gov has no mechanism to stop them... (see - even handed thebish!)