RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:42 am

80 minutes to defend the world title.

Can't wait.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:58 pm

The half-a-dozen guys dressed as the Queen. Brilliant. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:41 pm

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Thought that had 'glorious failure' written all over it. Excellent performance though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:45 pm

That was THE most awsome performance from England for since 2003 - Absolutely fecking brilliant. I am going to get soooooooooooo p*ssed

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Thought that had 'glorious failure' written all over it. Excellent performance though.
Yes, I was waiting for the Aussies to break through and score a last second try. I'm still not convinced that they aren't going to find a way of doing that.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Before it was announced as a knock on, I was certain it would be the penalty to send us out. Fantastic result, won by the forwards IMV.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:58 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Before it was announced as a knock on, I was certain it would be the penalty to send us out. Fantastic result, won by the forwards IMV.
undoubtedly - it's our ball and you're not having it. Aussie scrum caved in fine style. All I need now is some Aussies to taunt for the next four years and I'll be happy.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:59 pm

fecking hell i'm so proud after that. just because of what's been said in the press all week by their lot. aussie nice people. i think the french or all blacks will be a bridge too far for us if i'm honest but you never know

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Great result for England, completely unexpected here in Oz. The press and TV have been very confident about winning this game after England's poor performances in the Group phase. I'm sure that there will be a day of mourning tomorrow.

England played very well and should have had a couple of tries if they could catch the ball properly, but they kept Australia to only one try scoring opportunity which is quite an achievement. Excellent tactics and performance, but when did Wilkinson last miss three penalties from the right side of the posts?

The French may also surprise NZ as there is a lot of pride at stake since only finishing second in their group. And, as anything can happen in a semi-final England could have a great chance to defend their title in the final.

But to be honest, NZ are easily the best team in the World and should, if they can control their nerves, win the Cup with ease.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:21 pm

FaninOz wrote:Great result for England, completely unexpected here in Oz. The press and TV have been very confident about winning this game after England's poor performances in the Group phase. I'm sure that there will be a day of mourning tomorrow.

England played very well and should have had a couple of tries if they could catch the ball properly, but they kept Australia to only one try scoring opportunity which is quite an achievement. Excellent tactics and performance, but when did Wilkinson last miss three penalties from the right side of the posts?

The French may also surprise NZ as there is a lot of pride at stake since only finishing second in their group. And, as anything can happen in a semi-final England could have a great chance to defend their title in the final.

But to be honest, NZ are easily the best team in the World and should, if they can control their nerves, win the Cup with ease.
You don't say

Arrogant set of convicts
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:31 pm

Awesome. Watched it in an Irish pub in Utrecht rammed full of Aussies. They didn't give us a hope before kick-off but they all trundled out quietly or blaming the Irish ref.

Ideally I'd like France to play out of their skins tonight, sneak one past NZ, and then not show up against us.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:33 pm

SWING LOW SWEET CHARIOT!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:33 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Great result for England, completely unexpected here in Oz. The press and TV have been very confident about winning this game after England's poor performances in the Group phase. I'm sure that there will be a day of mourning tomorrow.

You don't say

Arrogant set of convicts
Many a true word, but remember that you can't be a true Aussie without a convict in your family history. A lot of searching going on to find convict ancestors deported from England so that people can claim to be true blue Aussies.

Remember that the original definition of a Pom is Prisoner of Mother England.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Only an Oz would claim New Zealand are the best side in the world after their own side go and get beaten. :mrgreen: Sorry Oz, but you lot ( particularly the Australian media ) have given the Brits stick all down the line both in the past and recently.

The big standout point today was the desire of England to win. Right from the start it was obvious we were full of fight and well up for it. The pack were brilliant and the Irish ref was quite kind about the Aussies keep collapsing scrums. Sheridan and co were immense and the Ossies complainig about any rough play will get laughed at. Wilkinson can be forgiven for missing a couple of kicks due to the tension and I was proud of them all today. Great game, even better result. Sackey's challenge at the end was the match winner.

Low point of the day: Stupid TV interviewers keep asking "How did you do it?" of players post-match. That apart, great day for English rugby. :oyea:
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Great performance by the team!

We won it up front and destroyed the Aussie pack.

The sort of performance that we have been looking for. The encouraging part being that we know we can play better. If everything had come off we would have won by 20 odd points.

I'm drinking happy today!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:02 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Awesome. Watched it in an Irish pub in Utrecht rammed full of Aussies. They didn't give us a hope before kick-off but they all trundled out quietly or blaming the Irish ref.
Ideally I'd like France to play out of their skins tonight, sneak one past NZ, and then not show up against us.
I saw at least two knock-ons from the Oz that went unpunished, and if the ball didn't go backwards two or three times in the line-outs it Specsavers for me on Monday.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:04 pm

FaninOz wrote: Remember that the original definition of a Pom is Prisoner of Mother England.
That means were PME's then? :twisted: Sort him out Dujon.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Awesome. Watched it in an Irish pub in Utrecht rammed full of Aussies. They didn't give us a hope before kick-off but they all trundled out quietly or blaming the Irish ref.
I saw at least two knock-ons from the Oz that went unpunished, and if the ball didn't go backwards two or three times in the line-outs it Specsavers for me on Monday.
We have actually did quiet well from Alain Rolland today, in previous years he has really given us nothing.

Glad he eventually saw through Australia's gamesmanship in the scrum.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:52 pm

FaninOz wrote:
Remember that the original definition of a Pom is Prisoner of Mother England.
except it's not.

The OED goes down the line that's a contraction of "pomegranate" - aussie rhyming slant for immigrant.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house