Batman has been to court -now with legal bollocks on p3-

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Surely, PB, it would be a criminal offence for anyone to refuse to take the test in England regardless of language spoken. You cannot have laws that specifically target English speakers but let foreigners off - that would be discrimination. Obviously now, foreigners are safer to take take the test and then claim not to understand - which is dumb. The whole thing makes no sense to me.
Yes Monty, of course - I didn't word that very well - what I mean is that it is a criminal offence to refuse a police officer's request (which is usually in English!) to breath into a breathalsyer without a reasonable excuse.

As far as I'm aware, there are two excuses that might be considered reasonable:

1. The suspect has a medical condition that means he/she can't safely provide enough breath for the device to sample.
2. The suspect speaks so little English that the request was not understood.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: The language thing is a joke... anyone in the civilised world knows what it means when a police officer asks you to breath into a little black device at the roadside.
Well he was from Estonia. :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Surely, PB, it would be a criminal offence for anyone to refuse to take the test in England regardless of language spoken. You cannot have laws that specifically target English speakers but let foreigners off - that would be discrimination. Obviously now, foreigners are safer to take take the test and then claim not to understand - which is dumb. The whole thing makes no sense to me.
Yes Monty, of course - I didn't word that very well - what I mean is that it is a criminal offence to refuse a police officer's request (which is usually in English!) to breath into a breathalsyer without a reasonable excuse.

As far as I'm aware, there are two excuses that might be considered reasonable:

1. The suspect has a medical condition that means he/she can't safely provide enough breath for the device to sample.
2. The suspect speaks so little English that the request was not understood.
Yet re 2, he did in fact provide the sample whether or not he understood the purpose. Why would that invalidate the test? Also, if he was so drunk he couldn't get out of the car (Batty's testimony) why wouldn't such other eyewitness evidence from Batty and police also be valid? Still, as Gertie would say, confuserated.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:27 pm

That's a feck* joke that, Batty. Sick of all this discrimination tip toeing

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 pm

For a conviction to be obtained here, it would need:

Video evidence showing at least a dozen witnesses at the scene, one holding up a watch and another a copy of the daily newspaper with the date underlined.
A police car driving past at that moment with four occupants all with 20/20 vision.
A Polish/Estonion impartial witness who lived at least two villages away from the defendant and was no relation back home.
A Polish/Estonion translator who also had to take a breathalyser test to be sure he understood what was said and wasn't drunk.
A Catholic Priest, A Rabbi, A Buddhist and an elder of the Muslim Faith.
A phsyciatrist.
A sound recording technician.
A reporter from The Sun newspaper
The Mayor of Preston.
Robin.

Case may well still have been dismissed if the defendant claimed he was an athiest and he had got drunk with the Polish/Estonion Ambassador and was claiming diplomatic immunity.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:For a conviction to be obtained here, it would need:

Video evidence showing at least a dozen witnesses at the scene, one holding up a watch and another a copy of the daily newspaper with the date underlined.
A police car driving past at that moment with four occupants all with 20/20 vision.
A Polish/Estonion impartial witness who lived at least two villages away from the defendant and was no relation back home.
A Polish/Estonion translator who also had to take a breathalyser test to be sure he understood what was said and wasn't drunk.
A phsyciatrist.
The Mayor of Preston.
Robin.

Case may well still have been dismissed if the defendant claimed he was an athiest and he had got drunk with the Polish/Estonion Ambassador and was claiming diplomatic immunity.

That would ensure everything was bang to rights and reported clearly and in an unbiased manner :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

A phsyciatrist.
The Mayor of Preston.
Robin.

That would ensure everything was bang to rights and reported clearly and in an unbiased manner :shock:
Since when has truth been the main priority in newspaper reporting?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

A phsyciatrist.
The Mayor of Preston.
Robin.

Since when has truth been the main priority in newspaper reporting?
Or in a court room? 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 pm

And the headlines?

"Joker has the last laugh in Batmobile attack" :mrgreen:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:03 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: The language thing is a joke... anyone in the civilised world knows what it means when a police officer asks you to breath into a little black device at the roadside.
Well he was from Estonia. :conf:
Hah, I've never been there (perhaps Bruce can inform us), but I believe that Estonia is an upwardly mobile place these days... I know Gordon Brown would love to have something like their growth rate.

A taxi driver I know picked up three Estonians fellas from Liverpool airport the other week, and they were most surprised when they couldn't pay the fare by credit card... a common facility in their homeland.

Put it this way, they'll all know what a fecking breathalyser is!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:09 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Yet re 2, he did in fact provide the sample whether or not he understood the purpose. Why would that invalidate the test? Also, if he was so drunk he couldn't get out of the car (Batty's testimony) why wouldn't such other eyewitness evidence from Batty and police also be valid? Still, as Gertie would say, confuserated.
Yep, I'm confused as well.

Sometimes we're so keen to play by the Queensbury Rules when it comes to foreigners, that we come off looking a bit of a joke.

It is quite proper that non-English speakers should be protected from being unfairly disadvantaged by a language barrier, but a breathalyser test is a very factual thing that nobody is allowed to turn down with impunity anyway... bizarre.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
americantrotter wrote:As shitty as it is, count yourself lucky you don't have to go to court about a co-worker who murdered her kids. (Allegedly) That was a part of my 07 that will I'm sure come up again in 08.

Hopefully he paid for your car, as that sentence sucks.
:shock: As a defence or prosecution witness?
The prosecution called me in for the Grand Jury. I am sure that I will be on both lists for the trial. Aside from knowing the accused at work I have little to do with it, but it's something I would rather not re-visit in a court room.