Olympics 2008

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 pm

Can't wait to see Bolt take on Johnson's record in the 200m.

As an aside, the conventional wisdom was that it would have been a waste of time Chambers running in Beijing, even if he had been allowed. Well, silver was won with a time of 9.89 and I reckon Chambers is well capable of that.

What a terrific weekend anyway... some brilliant performances from team GB.

And, I'm chuffed for Nadal in winning his gold and proving that he is number one.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:00 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Unbelievable from Bolt... I really can't fathom how he ran that fast so easily today. I wondered whether he'd deal with the pressure of an Olympic final - ha!
Must say the ease of it and the way he was still pulling away even after he started to celebrate had (and still has) me worried about whether its a clean race. It was Johnson-esq.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical that to be that good you're probably going to be full of 'roids!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Yet Michael Johnson just said, "look he's 6'5" (two mummies), sprinters are usually not quite that big. He's got a huge stride and his coach has got the mechanics right to stop him flailing about."

Just to point out that if he were on steroids you'd expect him to be a lot quicker out of the blocks, not last away.

I note nobody's suggested Phelps and his 8 world records are tinged with drugs, why's that then?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Bolt was awesome (and for once that word's appropriate). I saw him in the semis and he jogged the last thirty yards and still clocked 9.85. I don't fancy him to break Michael Johnson's world record in the 20l0m though.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:22 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Yet Michael Johnson just said, "look he's 6'5" (two mummies), sprinters are usually not quite that big. He's got a huge stride and his coach has got the mechanics right to stop him flailing about."

Just to point out that if he were on steroids you'd expect him to be a lot quicker out of the blocks, not last away.
Aye, he's fast for a big lad :mrgreen:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:32 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Yet Michael Johnson just said, "look he's 6'5" (two mummies), sprinters are usually not quite that big. He's got a huge stride and his coach has got the mechanics right to stop him flailing about."

I note nobody's suggested Phelps and his 8 world records are tinged with drugs, why's that then?
Judging by the last 20 metres, his coach needs to work on that! :D

I agree though, I'd be very, very surprised if Bolt was on steroids. You don't come out the traps last, then phone your mum to tell her you've won 20 metres from the end, if your on the drug. He may as well have written 'Test me I'm dodgy' on his forehead.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

communistworkethic wrote: I note nobody's suggested Phelps and his 8 world records are tinged with drugs, why's that then?
In fairness, it has been suggested.

Did you see, for example, his press conference after winning the 8th? A lot of questions about exactly how much and when he has been tested recently.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 pm

i long for a contest where everyone can take what they want, and just see how fast they can go

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:55 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
communistworkethic wrote: I note nobody's suggested Phelps and his 8 world records are tinged with drugs, why's that then?

Did you see, for example, his press conference after winning the 8th? A lot of questions about exactly how much and when he has been tested recently.
I meant on this board.

Bolt, however, was tested 3 times last week.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:58 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

I meant on this board.

Bolt, however, was tested 3 times last week.
I'm sure Phelps mentioned he was tested before each final and a few of the prelims.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm

either way, people on here only questioned Bolt's success.

What about our cyclists? Why not question their near anihilation of their opponents?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:42 pm

They're all on drugs, the whole feckin lot of em. Allegedly. It'd just be too embarassing for the IOC to really deal with it.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:51 pm

This is the most drug-tested games ever, you just have to hope that all are caught. They already banned that greek woman who won the olympics in 2004 in the 400m hurdles and it prob won't be the last.

I've not delved in on who I think has/hasn't got me worried as regards to drug cheating yet, and to be fair I don't see a point as I can only speculate who's earned it and who's had the added help. We could go through and question China's dominance at the games and every other medallist, and ask ourselves whether it is all fair and square. I'll leave that for the testers to decide.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:49 am

Putting drugs aside for the moment:

What would your strangest Olympic sporting event be?

For me it's the cycling race in which competitors are paced and trundle around behind a moped for most of the distance. I find it most odd - although I am sure that cycling aficionados will quickly set me straight.

Other honourable mentions would have to be the gear permitted for use by the archers and shooters: People complain about a swimming costume? What's next, an outboard motor front and back of a rowing shell? Sheesh!

Let's get back to basics. Runners will run without shoes and will be denied jet packs; Scullers will navigate the course using wood from a packing case rescued from the local tip of the current host city; Pole vaulters will use a standard length of water pipe that constitutes no less than 99.9% lead; Archers will craft their own bows and arrows from the local woodland and fletch and string them by use of local road kill; Shooters will construct their weapons from the city's scrap heaps, manufacture and pack their own ammunition using only peat moss and sulphur - no sighting devices allowed . . . and the list goes on.

Just my Olympic dream :wink:

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:46 am

Bolt simply took the piss, I still can't believe the way he won that no matter how many times I see it.

That 200m is going to be interesting because, as people have said, he was running backwards across the line.

Adlington's win was easily the best point of the Olympics so far, absoloutley steamed ahead of everybody else and smashed the world record.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:09 am

Just as an aside, can someone explain why we are (were) 3rd in the table for medals won, when there are others (Australia for instance) with more?

My wife thinks the Gold Silver and Bronze have points awarded against them, but there is no points tally on the table, just the total medals won.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 am

My understanding of the medalsa table is that it isn't an IOC thing, its the broadcasters and media that do it. Therefore its not official, so you can put any slant on it you like.

As I say, its just what I heard.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:40 am

It goes in order of gold.

So we could have 10 gold, 5 silver and 5 bronze, Australia could have 9 gold, 20 silver, 20 bronze.

We'd be ahead of them still.

Great race by the cycling team just now!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:41 am

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Dujon wrote:Putting drugs aside for the moment:

What would your strangest Olympic sporting event be?
Baseball - if that's there why not cricket, both silly bat and ball games :)