The Best and Worst Film Endings ever.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Incidentally WTW, did you ever see the Antonio Gades film versions of Carmen and Boda de Sangre? Both based on dance schools but excellent stuff. Very clever double plot in Carmen where the dance teacher leaves you wondering wether he actually kills the dancer playing Carmen for real.

I know you like Lorca but did you ever see the Spanish version of Death of a Poet? That was a very good film also.
I saw Blood Wedding. I didn't see Death of a Poet. Would love to have seen it. Was it a documentary? Just tried to find it on a movie database - without luck. Any further info would be appreciated - as you say I really like Lorca.
Well done to Monty for finding it. It isn't a documentary WTW, but a serious film based around Ian Gibson's book. My version is on video as are a lot of other things I own, Story of Flamenco, Carlos Saura's Sevillanas House of Bernarda Alba etc, and a lot of stuff taped from Spanish TV like Lola Flores ha Muerta. Can't find Carmen and I'm pretty sure I lent it to two girls who ran a dance class in Farnworth. Hope I get it back someday (very much doubt it) as Antonio Gades is dead now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Incidentally WTW, did you ever see the Antonio Gades film versions of Carmen and Boda de Sangre? Both based on dance schools but excellent stuff. Very clever double plot in Carmen where the dance teacher leaves you wondering wether he actually kills the dancer playing Carmen for real.

I know you like Lorca but did you ever see the Spanish version of Death of a Poet? That was a very good film also.
I saw Blood Wedding. I didn't see Death of a Poet. Would love to have seen it. Was it a documentary?

Just tried to find it on a movie database - without luck. Any further info would be appreciated - as you say I really like Lorca.
Lorca, muerte de un poeta

No thank required - it's what librarians do... :wink:
Thanks all the same - that was the database I checked - to find all kinds of options starting with Death...

Now, do librarians do searches for forum users on where you might get hold of/purchase a copy, whether it's available, if it's subtitled etc? Or do i have to ask tango to do me a copy? :wink:

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:

I saw Blood Wedding. I didn't see Death of a Poet. Would love to have seen it. Was it a documentary? Just tried to find it on a movie database - without luck. Any further info would be appreciated - as you say I really like Lorca.
Well done to Monty for finding it. It isn't a documentary WTW, but a serious film based around Ian Gibson's book. My version is on video as are a lot of other things I own, Story of Flamenco, Carlos Saura's Sevillanas House of Bernarda Alba etc, and a lot of stuff taped from Spanish TV like Lola Flores ha Muerta. Can't find Carmen and I'm pretty sure I lent it to two girls who ran a dance class in Farnworth. Hope I get it back someday (very much doubt it) as Antonio Gades is dead now.
No way! No chance of getting my Scooby Doo DVD back from him then
Was right all along

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Am I the only one who is sat here racking my brains trying to remember any film ending other than the ones I saw at the weekend?

Monday...my brain hurts....

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Bruno wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:

No way! No chance of getting my Scooby Doo DVD back from him then
No - he recorded over it long ago. But you never know, you might enjoy the moon as it dances, mercilessly lighting up the pursuit of the lovers...

Tango - did you hear the Radio 3 dramatisation of Blood Wedding? Was very, very good. Produced in Manchester last year and won a Sony Award for best production (bronze, I think).

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:59 pm

William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:

I saw Blood Wedding. I didn't see Death of a Poet. Would love to have seen it. Was it a documentary?

Just tried to find it on a movie database - without luck. Any further info would be appreciated - as you say I really like Lorca.
Lorca, muerte de un poeta

No thank required - it's what librarians do... :wink:
Thanks all the same - that was the database I checked - to find all kinds of options starting with Death...

Now, do librarians do searches for forum users on where you might get hold of/purchase a copy, whether it's available, if it's subtitled etc? Or do i have to ask tango to do me a copy? :wink:
Insofar as I can tell, it was a six-part miniseries made for TV and shown in the US and UK under the title Lorca Death of a Poet - probably dubbed for those audience (Tango suggested the Spanish version so that was what I gave you). It appears to be available on DVD from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorca-muerte-po ... B000NA6VL4
This six-part miniseries mixes docudrama with documentary footage to trace the life of Spanish poet/playwright/activist Federico Garcia Lorca, who was executed in 1936 by supporters of the future dictator, General Franco, during Spain's Civil War.

Each episode opens with his execution by firing squad, and then flashes back to a different era of his life and Spain's political history. It traces his career, his friendship with such luminary figures as Salvador Dali, and his relationship with his family.

In an unusual move, the Spanish TV network cast British actor Nickolas Grace in the title role. At the time, he was best known in Spain for his performance in the British miniseries "Brideshead Revisited." In "Lorca," he acted his dialog in English (while everyone around him acted in Spanish), and recited Lorca's verse in British-accented Spanish. Then all of his speeches were dubbed by a Spanish actor. Strangely, the dubbing of the scenes that he acted in English works far better than the scenes where he recites Lorca in Spanish.

Grace's casting ensured the show's sale to British and American television, where it was seen under the title "Lorca: Death of a Poet."

The pacing is a bit slow at spots, and the first three or four chapters are bit too episodic. But it's worth a look for anyone interested in this dark period of Spain's history and the life of a great artist.

Of particular interest are the final two episodes, which depict the military takeover of Spain and the bloodshed that attended the Civil War.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Rather odd as my copy is one film. It's the Spanish version with subtitles and I'm damned if I can remember where I got it from now. Had it a fair few years though and it's recorded and not a bought copy. I didn't hear the radio version of Blood Wedding. I'll really have to have a root through just what I do have as I've got all sorts of stuff on video with a lot of flamenco dance and guitar stuff.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Rather odd as my copy is one film. It's the Spanish version with subtitles and I'm damned if I can remember where I got it from now.
Who can explain it? Who can tell you why? Well, it certainly can't be old age.... :lmfao:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Rather odd as my copy is one film. It's the Spanish version with subtitles and I'm damned if I can remember where I got it from now.
Who can explain it? Who can tell you why? Well, it certainly can't be old age.... :lmfao:
Tango - think it might be this? I'd like to see this as well!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie/death-in-granada/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm

William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tango - think it might be this? I'd like to see this as well!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie/death-in-granada/
No, it's definitely Lorca: Death of a Poet (Muerte de un Poeta) with the English actor, Nicholas Grace as Lorca and produced by Samuel Menkes.. It was recorded from tv on Film Four International and it's in Spanish with English sub titles. I just played the start of it to check. You (and curiosity) forced me into the archives and I found it (amongst all sorts of things) together with three versions of Carmen: Francesco Rossi's film version with Placido Domingo, The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden version with Maria Ewing and Luis Lima, and ....yes, my missing dance version. Bernarda Aba is missing and I haven't yet found Blood Wedding (so that must be the one I lent out.) I'll keep looking now as I need to do an inventory. If you cant get a version of the Lorca film anywhere, pm me and we'll sort something out.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 am

William the White wrote:Only in waves. I can go months without seing any movies. And then practically live at the Cornerhouse. Catch more theatre in the average year. But those two movies above are just brilliant. Do you know them? :D
Been meaning to see Algiers for absolutely yonks. Never heard of Kameradschaft so it's getting added to the list.

That big ol' bloody list.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:
William the White wrote:Only in waves. I can go months without seing any movies. And then practically live at the Cornerhouse. Catch more theatre in the average year. But those two movies above are just brilliant. Do you know them? :D
Been meaning to see Algiers for absolutely yonks. Never heard of Kameradschaft so it's getting added to the list.

That big ol' bloody list.
Last time I tried to get hold of Kameradschaft the only way was to buy from USA and the asking price was over 200 dollars. Didn't do it! If you find another way, let me know. It's important to get a copy with Pabst's initial ending restored or you're left with a sentimental ending about working class solidarity, rather than a very tough one about the continuing repression of the capitalist state. BBC did a Pabst season some years ago with the restored ending and Lulu gets shown sporadically on TV. I've also seen it at the theatre, with live piano, which was good. His version of the Threepenny Opera is brilliant also - though Brecht allegedly hated it.

Algiers retains its urgency - just the best film ever about anti-colonial struggle and terrorism. Even more relevant today given the wave of Islamic insurgency.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am

The local 'fancy' video shop will have Algiers hands down, but the Kameradschaft one's gonna be a challenge.

To be continued