iPhone Apps

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:57 pm

chester white wrote:Just come across "Whatsapp" which costs 59p on the iPhone

A messaging service similar to Ping but now means you can message people from iPhone to Blackberrys and vice-versa, as well as iPhone to iPhone etc.

it's what my life has been missing! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:The missus dowloaded a running app.. Basically it tracks you via GPS and when you get home you plug it in, it shows you the route, the distance in miles and kilometers, plus any hilly inclines, your estimated calorie burn and wether or not you stopped for a slash. Gives you your quickest and slowest kilometer etc... Brilliant application

how long before someone pops up on the Jeremy Kyle show and states that her boyfriends satellite tracker app. gave him away shagging tracey at number 56?
I thought that piece of w*nk was getting axed to save money? Apparently, somewhere out there, it is possible to make cheaper telly than that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

thebish wrote:
chester white wrote:Just come across "Whatsapp" which costs 59p on the iPhone

A messaging service similar to Ping but now means you can message people from iPhone to Blackberrys and vice-versa, as well as iPhone to iPhone etc.

it's what my life has been missing! :wink:
Mine too. Sadly I just binned my quill and inkwell as everybody knows the news three days before my letters arrive. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Who were it that suggested Angry Birds?

Oof its addictive

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat May 08, 2010 3:52 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Who were it that suggested Angry Birds?

Oof its addictive
Everybody I think!!

Try Orba too.. But take off the hints

Free by the way
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun May 09, 2010 9:29 am

Fly Kiwi Fly is the latest one for me in the Angry Birds mould of extreme addiction.

Very cheap (59p) and was free for a few days!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun May 09, 2010 7:46 pm

dont know what i ever did before this iphone! its ace.

battery is fecking SHITE tho!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:dont know what i ever did before this iphone! its ace.

battery is fecking SHITE tho!
General - When we first got them at work we all complained that the battery life in them was absolute shite. Then, one clever clogs identified the problem 8) and that was that they were all set to retrieve emails every 15 minutes. Searching for and subsequently retrieving emails really scoffs your battery life, as does fannying about on the internet.
To check - go into Settings - then into Mail, Contacts, Calenders - then into Fetch New Data. You should then see what yours is set to, it'll be either every 15 mins, every 30 mins, hourly, or manually. I suggest switching it to manually and then, whenever you do want to use it for looking at your emails, just press the 'Mail' thing on your screen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm

i googled tips for saving your battery life, and i found a whole list of things to change to save power, having all this stuff switched off and the screen brightness turned down low n'that, kindda spoilt the point in having an iphone in the first place for me, as everything that makes them so great is disabled!

the email push is summat i can live without though, have switched it to manually now so will see how i go! ta.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i googled tips for saving your battery life, and i found a whole list of things to change to save power, having all this stuff switched off and the screen brightness turned down low n'that, kindda spoilt the point in having an iphone in the first place for me, as everything that makes them so great is disabled!

the email push is summat i can live without though, have switched it to manually now so will see how i go! ta.
Stop running a load of fecking apps - it'll be reet. :mrgreen:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Of course, the big question is: when the feck is Keveh going to get his finger out and have The Wanderer for iPhone app ready?!

I can't be doing with games, but there are some decent suggestions on here. I bought Sleep Cycle on Athers' recommendation and think that's pretty good, especially for 59p.

Perfan mentioned National Rail, but I baulked at the £4.99 for that (is that still the price?) and use the free TheTrainline app instead for train times.

Anyway, is anyone bothered about getting an iPad when they come out? Not sure I'll have the spare cash in the next few months, but I do think they look terrific and Steve Jobs has got another massive success on his hands.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Didn't know the Trainline one is free and usable, I've been using Safari to get past the NationalRail £5 joke.

Not sure about an iPad, it's OK for Jake Humphrey to stand on a boat in Monte Carlo with split times coming up on it, but for plain old Athers sat on the train or out and about, I may as well stick to the iPhone.

Star Trek got it spot on with those little pads though, either that or they influenced producers in the first place...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: Anyway, is anyone bothered about getting an iPad when they come out? Not sure I'll have the spare cash in the next few months, but I do think they look terrific and Steve Jobs has got another massive success on his hands.
no. it looks like a big LG Prada phone. :twisted:

rather have a netbook

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Athers wrote:Didn't know the Trainline one is free and usable, I've been using Safari to get past the NationalRail £5 joke.

Not sure about an iPad, it's OK for Jake Humphrey to stand on a boat in Monte Carlo with split times coming up on it, but for plain old Athers sat on the train or out and about, I may as well stick to the iPhone.

Yeah, the trainline is terrific seeing as it's free. TubeStatus is a decent free app to show which lines are disrupted at weekends etc, but you're living out of London these days, if memory serves...

Ha, yes, I saw Humphrey (jammy bastard - how much do you want his life?!) with his. Some good product placement there.

I've got a 15-inch MacBook Pro, which is a bit heavy to cart around everywhere, and while the iPhone is excellent, it's not really big enough to read or watch anything lengthy on it.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Tue May 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Troll and proud of it.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm

as wrote:Image
You seem like a forward-looking, metropolitan, technologically savvy gent, as - are you not looking forward to the more intimate, handheld and hands-on platform on which to consume digital media that the iPad will provide?

:mrgreen:

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Athers wrote:Didn't know the Trainline one is free and usable, I've been using Safari to get past the NationalRail £5 joke.

Yeah, the trainline is terrific seeing as it's free. TubeStatus is a decent free app to show which lines are disrupted at weekends etc, but you're living out of London these days, if memory serves...

Ha, yes, I saw Humphrey (jammy bastard - how much do you want his life?!) with his. Some good product placement there.

I've got a 15-inch MacBook Pro, which is a bit heavy to cart around everywhere, and while the iPhone is excellent, it's not really big enough to read or watch anything lengthy on it.
Indeed, but I have a couple of Tube maps for when I'm down there. I'll get trainline though later - thanks for the tip.

I find the iPhone OK for watching a comedy programme or something like that, wouldn't watch a film on it really. If I'm with work I can watch stuff on my work laptop anyway (or do work, boss).
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Tue May 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Thetrainline app didn't exist when I got the National Rail one so I carry on using it to get my money's worth. It was actually £5.99 when I got it!!
Buster League Champion!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue May 18, 2010 6:27 pm

I dont know! what's the world coming to?

I thought all you needed was a ski mask, pair of pliers and a blow torch and you could get all the information you required :cry:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
as wrote:Image
You seem like a forward-looking, metropolitan, technologically savvy gent, as - are you not looking forward to the more intimate, handheld and hands-on platform on which to consume digital media that the iPad will provide?

:mrgreen:
No, mate.

Although I met you outside the stadium in Belgrade, so the phone doesn't surprise me :wink:
Troll and proud of it.