Le Tour!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Le Tour!

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is,

And it's even bigger than that. Superb work by Sky today. Cavendish ? I cannot praise enough. Who would of thought a predominately football orientated broadcast company (and Bond villianesque set up, apparantly, so I've been told allegedly) would provide the financial platform for a British TdF Winner? Funny old world innit? But as a clubman cyclist since 1970, I'm loving every minute!
Cycling has really taken off in the UK over the last 10 years and it's going to go stratospheric if Wiggans hangs in there. I'm really chuffed for folks like you IP who were voices in the wilderness of what was a tiny sport in the UK all them years ago. Have you read Matt Seatons book, The Escape Artist? It's a good read featuring competitive cycling in the UK in the 70s
On cycling books, have you read Jeff Connor's on the 1987 tour? Really good reads.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 am

Oh, and yesterday Cavendish was absolutely superb. Decent lead out from Sky, but his pace was incredible in that last straight. Went past Roche and (Sanchez?) like they weren't there. That's a win that augurs well for the Olympics as there were a couple of climbs for Cav to get up to get to the sprint at the end.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Peerless from Wiggins today. Simply an incredible display of time trialling. Destroyed everyone including the young pretender. Will deservedly saunter down the Champs Eleysses in yellow.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 pm

OK ... I know nowt about cycling, certainly not how scoring etc., etc works in the Tour.

But he's around 3 minutes in front. OK, that's good, but after what, 10 days, it shows it's a close sport.

But it's being talked of as if he could ride on a tricycle tomorrow & still win it.

But it's 80k tomorrow. If he's off form, unwell, pulls a muscle or falls (gets knocked ??) off he could lose 3min in a heartbeat.

So what am I not getting ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm

bobo the clown wrote:OK ... I know nowt about cycling, certainly not how scoring etc., etc works in the Tour.

But he's around 3 minutes in front. OK, that's good, but after what, 10 days, it shows it's a close sport.

But it's being talked of as if he could ride on a tricycle tomorrow & still win it.

But it's 80k tomorrow. If he's off form, unwell, pulls a muscle or falls (gets knocked ??) off he could lose 3min in a heartbeat.

So what am I not getting ??
The last day is more of a ceremonial thing and just for the sprinters really at the end - I think that's right but folk with better knowledge than me might shed a bit more light on it. He can only lose it now if he gets knocked over.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:So what am I not getting ??
The merest inkling of how Le Tour unfolds, I'd say.

80km is such a short distance in elite cycling that it is in effect a parade lap (though that shouldn't take anything away from whichever sprinter wins tomorrow). He could in theory have a puncture or a bike failure but each team follows behind with spare equipment, so that's not going to hinder him, especially as he has a highly professional team that would see him back to the peloton ASAP. The only way he's not going to win is if someone runs him over, or they spike his champagne en route.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 pm

I hope that's correct. Really I do ... but it's just seems terribly smug for everyone to treat 3 minutes or so as unassailable, if only by accident or incident.

Anyway, here's hoping he meets neither of those foes.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I hope that's correct. Really I do ... but it's just seems terribly smug for everyone to treat 3 minutes or so as unassailable, if only by accident or incident.

Anyway, here's hoping he meets neither of those foes.
Don't forget that's three and a bit minutes on his team mate and fellow Briton (or Kenyan) Chris Froome, who won't challenge him. He's much further ahead of the third place rider.

One year they actually thought it was a good idea to have the final stage to Paris as a individual time trial. The Frenchman Laurent Fignon was in yellow at the time. He wasn't by the end of the race as Greg Lemond pipped him by a few seconds. I don't think the organisers of Le Tour will do that again.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Here's a pic of the last stage from a few years back.

It's not a serious race until they get to the Champs Elysees. Then you might see Wiggins/Froome et al leading out Cavendish for the win.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Incredible
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Not as incroyable as seeing Lesley Garrett singing 'God Save the Queen' on the Champ's Elysees !!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 pm

I think it's down to Boris bikes...We were hardly in it before them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I think it's down to Boris bikes...We were hardly in it before them.
It'll probably be down to drugs. Same as usual. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I think it's down to Boris bikes...We were hardly in it before them.
It'll probably be down to drugs. Same as usual. ;)
:lol:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Not as incroyable as seeing Lesley Garrett singing 'God Save the Queen' on the Champ's Elysees !!
Don't think Wiggins liked it too much...

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 am

bobo the clown wrote:Not as incroyable as seeing Lesley Garrett singing 'God Save the Queen' on the Champ's Elysees !!
No ! Did that REALLY happen ?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 pm

newcarsmell wrote:
I had no idea who she was, and just assumed it was the French getting a bit of revenge. Truely awful I must say.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Overall, an enjoyalble tour this year. Now we shall see if how they perform at the Olympics. I'm sure a few racers held back a bit as there is so little recovery time. It will be very difficult for some of those riders to give their best in London.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 pm

newcarsmell wrote:
It most certainly did ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9420 ... emony.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch & weep !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ggins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Wiggins's opening few words when handed a mic on the Champs Elysee after collecting trophy: "and now we're going to draw the tickets for the raffle". (or words to that effect). Absolute classic!! I wonder how that translated???!!!
Hope is what keeps us going.