The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:49 am

anyway - well done to the Guardian if they are right. I haven't bought the paper to see who they are talking about but the reports this morning suggest that they have used their investigative muscle to counter internet gossip about a political figure who (being a Tory) wouldn't be their natural ally - and named him to assert that the gossip is wrong and he is innocent.

if they are right - then in my book that's

Proper Media Investigation 100 - 0 Twitter Gossip Wank

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:Image
Okay, so I didn't use a picture when I put this quote in the post immediately above yours. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Duh! I knew I'd read it somewhere, I thought probably on Facebook. Turns out it was a few posts up in the very thread I was replying to.

Ahem...must make a note to mock GtE less :D.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:Duh! I knew I'd read it somewhere, I thought probably on Facebook. Turns out it was a few posts up in the very thread I was replying to.

Ahem...must make a note to mock GtE less :D.
Actually quoted immediately above yours as well. :D Still, I'm sure GtE is fair game.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:44 pm

anyone gonna be voting in the Police and Crime Commissioner elections tomorrow?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

thebish wrote:anyone gonna be voting in the Police and Crime Commissioner elections tomorrow?
Yes. Because I can, and I feel it is my duty to uphold universal suffrage wherever and whenever possible. I always vote, in anything I can. Even things as pathetic, annoying, and inconsequential as this... i mean it'll make not an iota of difference whoever gets in, not really.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

But, on the other hand, it might be the election you have the biggest say in!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:anyone gonna be voting in the Police and Crime Commissioner elections tomorrow?
Yes. Because I can, and I feel it is my duty to uphold universal suffrage wherever and whenever possible. I always vote, in anything I can. Even things as pathetic, annoying, and inconsequential as this... i mean it'll make not an iota of difference whoever gets in, not really.
yeah - me too - and it annoys me that I have this sense of civic duty!!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:But, on the other hand, it might be the election you have the biggest say in!
Why, because I might be 33% of the electorate? :D

Are you standing, I'll vote for you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Indeed! You are the swing vote!

How old do you have to be? I quite like the idea of being a Crime Commissioner. Sat in my big house commissioning new works of crime. I could get Damian Hirst in to do some Modern Crime. Bet it would be shit though, wouldn't even look like crime. Lots of wankers in thick-rimmed glasses stood around with their Chardonnay talking about how it represents for them the very essence of a happy-slapping. Nah, I've gone off the idea.

I might not even vote. Mainly coz I don't think we are getting one! No slip or anything for me. Probably for the best, our polling station is a primary school, the little f*ckers are always getting days off. No wonder standards are falling.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:Indeed! You are the swing vote!

How old do you have to be? I quite like the idea of being a Crime Commissioner. Sat in my big house commissioning new works of crime. I could get Damian Hirst in to do some Modern Crime. Bet it would be shit though, wouldn't even look like crime. Lots of wankers in thick-rimmed glasses stood around with their Chardonnay talking about how it represents for them the very essence of a happy-slapping. Nah, I've gone off the idea.

I might not even vote. Mainly coz I don't think we are getting one! No slip or anything for me. Probably for the best, our polling station is a primary school, the little f*ckers are always getting days off. No wonder standards are falling.
You must be in that Big Smoke then. No vote for you. You've already got a Crime Lord - Boris the Mop Haired Wonder.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Nope, not yet, still in little old Lancashire. As I say, I haven't had anything about voting, so if it is happening no-one thought to ask me!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nope, not yet, still in little old Lancashire. As I say, I haven't had anything about voting, so if it is happening no-one thought to ask me!
You've been disenfranchised. I'd have a word about that with your new Crime Commisioner (next week) - maybe somebody's nicked your vote. :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Or maybe he was too fooking dozy to register?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nope, not yet, still in little old Lancashire. As I say, I haven't had anything about voting, so if it is happening no-one thought to ask me!
you have to go look them up yourself..

the candidates for the Gtr Manchester and Lancashire constabularies are listed here:

http://www.policeelections.com/candidates/

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm

No information has been disseminated in the usual way about this election on cost grounds. Instead you have to seek the information yourself on the internet. In Lancashire it is anticipated that only 12% of the electorate will bother to turn out. I live in Manchester and I am boycotting the election, only the second time I will not be voting in my 40 years eligibility, and this is on a matter dear to my heart. I considered spoiling my ballot paper or voting for an independent but whoever gets in the job will be politicised. Politics needs to be kept well out of Policing.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm not very 'up' on this.. I'm aware of the elections, but not what goes on behind it..

I'm guessing that if these people want the public to vote for them, they have to spend money to promote themselves.. Where is this money coming from? I know politicians are backed financially by people who feel their policies will benefit them and the companies.. But who would finance a policeman's bid for election? Who would want them to police a certain way which would 'benefit' them? Other than criminals?

As I say, I've not looked into it closely.. I just find the whole thing a little strange.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Not particularly impressed by any of the candidates in Manchester for the PCC election.

The Tory seems to have no experience anywhere near policing, being an NHS manager. He's a serial general election loser but has managed to be on Wigan Council of all places.
The Labour guy is the current MP who only talks about saving the police from the cuts, which is not possible.
The LibDem is a copper but looks a bit soft and his website has a number 4 in it instead of the word 'for'.
The UKIP guy has his blurb in bold, is scaremongering and there's a superfluous apostrophe in his paragraph.
The Independent as a magistrate has some related experience, and he says he understands the need for cuts - good. However, we're told nothing about any of his plans in his paragraph.

So it looks like the LibDem I'm afraid. I had hoped for someone other than a copper, but of these he's probably the least-bad option.

http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/candidate ... manchester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our MP for Manchester Central is up for election, but it's a safe Labour seat.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm with Clapton on this. After giving it a lot of thought I decided I dont want a Police commissioner. It's a poor sort of democracy that gives me a choice in an election I dont want. Were Police commissions part of any of the main party manifestos?

Best way to register my protest is not to turn up, but its not an option I've ever chosen before and it does weigh heavily :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'm with Clapton on this. After giving it a lot of thought I decided I dont want a Police commissioner. It's a poor sort of democracy that gives me a choice in an election I dont want. Were Police commissions part of any of the main party manifestos?

Best way to register my protest is not to turn up, but its not an option I've ever chosen before and it does weigh heavily :(
As far as I'm concerned not turning up doesn't get registered as a protest vote, Harry, it means simply one more member of an apathetic electorate. The best way to protest is to care enough to turn up and deliberately spoil the ballot. In my opinion of course.