What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you eating and drinking tonight?

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: I reckon that that a portion of that would stand a nice piece of monkfish atop. What do you think, William?
Might be a trace too spicy, Bruce.

Monkfish paella, Moro recipe, with peppers, saffron and paprika (and a nice splash of sherry) is the perfect way to have monkfish. I'll photocopy the recipe for you and bring it to the match.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: I reckon that that a portion of that would stand a nice piece of monkfish atop. What do you think, William?
Might be a trace too spicy, Bruce.

Monkfish paella, Moro recipe, with peppers, saffron and paprika (and a nice splash of sherry) is the perfect way to have monkfish. I'll photocopy the recipe for you and bring it to the match.
Oooh, yes. Wonderful. Please do.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Actually, monkfish having quite meaty flesh means it goes quite well in a curry sauce. We used to marinate it in yoghurt, galangal, ginger and turmeric then cooked it with onions and bok choi and that. Used to sell like hot cakes.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:00 pm

See, that's what I was thinking - that it'd be meaty enough to possibly carry it off. That said, I don't know how hot William's tagine dish actually is.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Roasted pork tenderloin with apples and onions. Hopefully I won't cock it up.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:See, that's what I was thinking - that it'd be meaty enough to possibly carry it off. That said, I don't know how hot William's tagine dish actually is.
Given that steer from the Lord I might try it with monkfish... in fact include it in the tagine rather than alongside... The tagine is not as hot as a curry - but lots of aromatics as well as heat...

You've got me in the mood for rice and fish... Kedgeree cooking as I sip a little Cava...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 am

Our gaffa went to Jamie Oliver's place last night. In his plain speaking Yorkshirean tone he described as being "little more than a posh burger bar in an outstanding building". Fair or not?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Our gaffa went to Jamie Oliver's place last night. In his plain speaking Yorkshirean tone he described as being "little more than a posh burger bar in an outstanding building". Fair or not?
I've been and it were ok. Nothing more. IMO it is just Jamie Olivers home cooked Italian food (so not authentic) at restaurant prices. The building is impressive however it is a very odd space for a restaurant. Tables scattered all over the place split across two levels, very odd.

Frankly I can't see myself ever going back. If I want an Italian in Manchester it would have to be somewhere very good to drag me from SC.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Our gaffa went to Jamie Oliver's place last night. In his plain speaking Yorkshirean tone he described as being "little more than a posh burger bar in an outstanding building". Fair or not?
I've been and it were ok. Nothing more. IMO it is just Jamie Olivers home cooked Italian food (so not authentic) at restaurant prices. The building is impressive however it is a very odd space for a restaurant. Tables scattered all over the place split across two levels, very odd.

Frankly I can't see myself ever going back. If I want an Italian in Manchester it would have to be somewhere very good to drag me from SC.
Pretty much the opinion of others around here that've been too. Gaffer reckons that Ferdinand's place is better, which I have down as being little better than alright. Definitely SC for me, too.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 pm

If you're in London, his Barbecoa place next St Paul's is a decent eat for meat eaters...

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:16 pm

This sounds nice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... toast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Id say absolutely fair but not in a bad way. we got the islington one a fair bit becasue we like its informality, but you still get a decent feed (if you like posh burgers n'that) Always have brilliant friendly service too which goes along way.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Waggon and Horses at Hawkshaw last night. Never been in before, despite only being a 10 minute drive fom home.

Chicken breast served on bubble and squeak with carrots in a red wine sauce, followed by forest fruits creme brulee with a cinnamon snap and raspberry panacotta ice cream. Not the largest of portions, but at £10 for two courses the food and value were both fantastic. Pint each of Flowers IPA and Flat Cap, happy days!

Really impressed with the hospitality of the staff, managing to squeeze us in, despite deing fully booked. Will definitely be making a return trip. Soon!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for that, BP. I drive past it twice a day when I'm in the office (four times when I've forgotten summat) and have wondered what it's like. It looks a lovely little place, but I'm afraid I'm a bit risk averse when it comes to nosebag (because I'm usually with visitors) and end up in either the Red Lion or the Shoulder.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 am

Talking of fancy burgers I had the the Wild Boar burger at the Blundell Arms yesterday. Not bad menu on paper but quality left a lot to be desired (bit like wanderers teamsheet at the moment). Poncy presentation but basically cobbled together and left to go cold for a bit before being served. Good job I was hungry but I ended up thinking I'd have preferred a McD's double cheeseburger. Shame really because I like the pub.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Thanks for that, BP. I drive past it twice a day when I'm in the office (four times when I've forgotten summat) and have wondered what it's like. It looks a lovely little place, but I'm afraid I'm a bit risk averse when it comes to nosebag (because I'm usually with visitors) and end up in either the Red Lion or the Shoulder.
ha, thats us - unless its foreign muck were after, its absolutely Red Lion or Shoulder!

used to go in the Waggon & Horses a bit when it was just a boozer.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Was chick pea and chorizo soup with a touch of chilli tonight. Bloomin delicious for a few minutes effort :)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Soup? Awww, are you poorly mate?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Er..no. Do you have to be ill to enjoy a good soup? I suppose that you could classify it as a stew or something if you thickened the liquid bit. It was quite substantial, so no bread was needed.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 am

It's a medicinal drink in my opinion. Not to say I don't think it would've tasted nice....
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"