creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:38 pm

Carry on like this and I 'll begin to think it's a capital offence to lose a game of cricket. W'ed better let the rest know particularly that lot that Ben Stokes and Jack Read dug us out of. Maybe Geoff Boycott's "forward defensive stroke" will become high fashion again... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:06 pm

Not at all TD. A series loss would be tough. Boycott wasn't my sort of hero, but given it's not the first time he's been mentioned, he stood up pretty well to some pretty sharp bowling...I'm thinking a lot better than you or I, my friend...

If memory serves, you opened the bowling, would the "you with the bat" have wanted to face "the you with the ball?"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:44 am

Interesting. Tongue for Moeen (Wood apparently not quite ready).

Lots of people talking about how green the Lords pitch looked but I thought they all did a few days out? You... can't tell until they cut it? Idk.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:44 am

Lots of people talking about how green the Lords pitch looked but I thought they all did a few days out? You... can't tell until they cut it? Idk.
Huge risk imho. That feels like an attack that is entirely dependent on some movement. What if Aussies win the toss and after first couple hours it doesn’t do much?

Having said that if wood isn’t fit and Moeen can’t bowl that many overs not sure we had a huge choice. Weather looks a bit mixed. So might get some conditions to help.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:35 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Huge risk imho. That feels like an attack that is entirely dependent on some movement. What if Aussies win the toss and after first couple hours it doesn’t do much?

Having said that if wood isn’t fit and Moeen can’t bowl that many overs not sure we had a huge choice. Weather looks a bit mixed. So might get some conditions to help.
I think we needed an extra bowler, just a bit concerned whether Tongue can consistently hit the quicker bowling speeds with the ball in roughly the right place - he's no mug for pace, albeit probably not quite as quick as Woody. I'd be a bit surprised, if Lords was the same dead wicket as Edgbaston, if only for the slope. Our attack is hugely dependent on some movement, whether it's got Moeen in it or not. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:35 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I think we needed an extra bowler, just a bit concerned whether Tongue can consistently hit the quicker bowling speeds with the ball in roughly the right place - he's no mug for pace, albeit probably not quite as quick as Woody. I'd be a bit surprised, if Lords was the same dead wicket as Edgbaston, if only for the slope. Our attack is hugely dependent on some movement, whether it's got Moeen in it or not. :-)
Moeen took 3 of the 18 inspite of not being able to bowl much second innings.

That’s not insubstantial. We now do literally have all our eggs in the one basket.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:56 pm

I rate Moeen, thought he had a decent match. Doesn't read like his cut finger was the reason he was left out, as I read he passed his fitness test. Think as I mentioned at the time, I might have shunted a batter to accommodate them - in the event, they've decided to dispense with spin. Bazball is nothing if not an interesting journey... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:05 pm

My gut is that he would have played if they felt he was fully fit to contribute but given how long he’s not played red ball for it’s not surprising they’d be concerned about the finger going again. Wood is out for the same reason…he’s fit but they’ve said they just aren’t sure how fit and whether he could bowl enough.

But I like you felt we needed another option it’s just that option being less distinct from the attack we had is a little worrying. Tongue a bit quicker but not much.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:16 am

It's here Day One of the second Ashes test. Step forth the Lions and give Oz the what for.... :oyea: :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:20 am

Massive test in the context of the series. Must win for England. Our record at Lords in the Ashes is dismal.

Fingers crossed we change that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:20 am
Massive test in the context of the series. Must win for England. Our record at Lords in the Ashes is dismal.

Fingers crossed we change that.
Aye, let's start off with a rousing positive. :(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:12 am

Looking at pictures of Lords and wicket its a bowl first sort of test. I think England prefer to be chasing scores generally especially on wickets like this that may well improve over the days.

Hopefully win the toss put em in and have em all out by tea.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:32 am

Yep. England win the toss and bowl first. Feels big does that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:38 am

Let's hope it moves :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:14 pm

You simply have to catch the ball ffs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:20 pm

We're doing a great job of dropping the ashes. First test we lost cos we dropped too many. This test already dropped one that should be taken.

Frustrating.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:22 pm

WTF are they doing starting on a Wednesday?!?!?!? - sigh, better late than never...Who dropped what?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:22 pm
WTF are they doing starting on a Wednesday?!?!?!? - sigh, better late than never...Who dropped what?
Pope dropped Warner at slip.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:28 pm

Australia have batted well. We’ve not caught very well. They’ll be delighted to the through the first hour and now look in a good position for a commanding first innings score.

Elsewhere across London, brilliant win for Lancs having almost ballsed it up on day 2.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:30 pm

A score above 300 and Aussies will be hugely dominant.

Not happening for England in this ashes at all for whatever reason. It just isn’t.