This weeks RIP's........

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: This weeks RIP's........

Post by ChrisC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are losing a lot of famous names this year?

It's just an age thing mate. Older you get, the more people you know, or have heard of seem to die off. That's life I suppose...........

I suppose your right :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:23 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are losing a lot of famous names this year?
It's just an age thing mate. Older you get, the more people you know, or have heard of seem to die off. That's life I suppose...........
To a man approaching his 76th birthday this isn't the best thread to greet a Monday with. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
To a man approaching his 76th birthday this isn't the best thread to greet a Monday with. :(

Plenty of life in you yet Tango. You're not going anywhere until you've given us the radio Tango commentary of Bolton lifting the champions league trophy :wink: ................

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Arthur Cave, 15, fell to his death from a cliff near Brighton. The son of Nick Cave, the Australian musician, his maternal Grandmother used to live on Chorley New Road and was at school with me in the late-1940s. She lost her husband a couple of months ago and now a grandson. Too young to die, Arthur. RIP.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:38 am

In the absence of a 'Rot in hell' thread....I see Paul Massey has been shot dead. Shame
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 am

He'll be sadly missed by someone, but I agree with the sentiment.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:In the absence of a 'Rot in hell' thread....I see Paul Massey has been shot dead. Shame
Police are looking for a motive - better keep those sentiments to yourself! I had never heard of the man, btw.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:In the absence of a 'Rot in hell' thread....I see Paul Massey has been shot dead. Shame
Police are looking for a motive - better keep those sentiments to yourself! I had never heard of the man, btw.
No reason you should have Monty, people of that ilk are only of importance to those who mix in the same circles. 30 years ago, he allegedly offered a 10 grand reward to anyone who could kill a Police Officer and gained notoriety overnight. He was a major underworld figure in Salford , although no hard case himself. Its fair to say however, that he was very charismatic and a shrewd business person, which brought it's own rewards and ensured he out survived most of his peers. Live by the sword........etc etc there are few mourning cops today.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Paul Massey had his own security company (read protection racket) that worked in Salford and the Quay's. Pretty much the sentiment was "pay us money and we will guarantee you will not get broken into. However, if you decline this kind offer, we will guarantee that you will be broken into, robbed and your premises burnt to the ground".

They basically let the local lowlife know which premises to avoid and which to target.
Last edited by malcd1 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Police are looking for a motive.
... yes, and to that end they are planning to interview 38,000 local people.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 pm

RIP Pilot Kevin Whyman, killed when his display plane crashed at CarFest, Oulton Park. My younger brother and his family are there (they go every year). They were back at their tent at the time and had no idea as to what had happened until an announcement was made. Apparently a Police helicopter was circling the crash site with the press's helicopters circling like vultures further away waiting for it to feck off so that they can deliver gore-ish photo's of the crash site to those that buy such stuff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Cilla Black 72, last night in Spain. R.I.P.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Cilla Black 72, last night in Spain. R.I.P.
Crikey. That comes as something of a surprise (surprise) Sorry)).

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:37 pm

St Peter will be at the Pearly Gates saying 'Step inside, love.' One of my all time favourites and the first singist I went to see live. That was as a 12yr old at the old Cranberry Fold above Darwen.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm

clapton is god wrote:St Peter will be at the Pearly Gates saying 'Step inside, love.' One of my all time favourites and the first singist I went to see live. That was as a 12yr old at the old Cranberry Fold above Darwen.

Yowzers. When I was a youth playing for Eagley 2nd's, the older guys in the side used to talk of going to The Cranberry Fold (though I'm sure that some used to refer to it as being 'Bogart's' or 'Bogies') after the game. Whereabouts above Darren was it, Chap?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:53 pm

I think here might be a few flowers on Scottie Road tomorrow.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
clapton is god wrote:St Peter will be at the Pearly Gates saying 'Step inside, love.' One of my all time favourites and the first singist I went to see live. That was as a 12yr old at the old Cranberry Fold above Darwen.

Yowzers. When I was a youth playing for Eagley 2nd's, the older guys in the side used to talk of going to The Cranberry Fold (though I'm sure that some used to refer to it as being 'Bogart's' or 'Bogies') after the game. Whereabouts above Darren was it, Chap?
Not got the foggiest. Remember the night there like it were yesterday but getting there was someone elses problem in them days.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

It was North East of Egerton before you get to Darwen and east of the Blackburn Road (or maybe it is Bolton Road there). It was at the end of Cranberry Lane. I think it was later renamed Bogarts.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I think here might be a few flowers on Scottie Road tomorrow.
Without doubt. Not that she'd have recognised the road these days.

Another who wore the badge but, in fact, got out as soon as she could and never came back.

The people of Denham, where her home was, won't be sorry however. She was real Queen Bee there and routinely pissdd people off.

Still, an icon of the mid 1960's who reinvented herself as a TV host. So quite a career.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I think here might be a few flowers on Scottie Road tomorrow.
Without doubt. Not that she'd have recognised the road these days.
I always thought of Scotland Road ( which I wouldn't recognise myself now) as just being a road at the end of Stanley Road which was yer actual Scouse country, stretching from Millers Bridge up to Scottie. I worked there (Brasenose Road) for best part of twenty years. A very rum place is Bootle.