The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I lost a lot of respect for George Osborne yesterday when he came out at lunchtime, a couple of hours after the Philpotts' sentences were announced, and said that we need to 'have a conversation' about individuals like him living entirely off benefits.

Coming a couple of days after the whole IDS fuss I thought it was really distasteful to play politics with a tragic event like this.

Boo George, boo.
Is he playing politics or was it more a somewhat characteristically insensitive brainfart and offensively bad timing? He's right, we do need to have a discussion about individuals that live entirely off benefits, but to hold Philpott up as his example and at the time that he did is, I think, the work of an absolute 4uckwit that simply hadn't considered the ramifications, rather than those of someone hoping to score backing on the back of the events.
He's a politician. A senior one at that.

Of course it was a calculated and deliberate move to score cheap political points.

All part of their divide and rule strategy.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:I lost a lot of respect for George Osborne yesterday when he came out at lunchtime, a couple of hours after the Philpotts' sentences were announced, and said that we need to 'have a conversation' about individuals like him living entirely off benefits.

Coming a couple of days after the whole IDS fuss I thought it was really distasteful to play politics with a tragic event like this.

Boo George, boo.
Thing is he is right tho'. We cannot keep ducking debate on these matters for ever, however distasteful.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Of course it was a calculated and deliberate move to score cheap political points.

You'd be saying the same of Ed Balls then?
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:45 pm

hmmmmm...

yesterday, speaking to defence workers in Scotland, David Cameron claimed that North Korea could hit the UK with a nuclear weapon... therefore we must go with trident...

to me - this sounds essentially like the 45min claim that Blair made over the Iraq war..

surely people are not so stupid as to believe the same lie twice????

(Mark Fitzpatrick, Director of Nuclear Non-Proliferation and disarmament at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, told ITV News that “North Korea does not have any missile capabilities that could hit Britain and it is difficult to envision circumstances when North Korea ever would want to attack the UK even if they could.”)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Boo George, boo.
Is he playing politics or was it more a somewhat characteristically insensitive brainfart and offensively bad timing? He's right, we do need to have a discussion about individuals that live entirely off benefits, but to hold Philpott up as his example and at the time that he did is, I think, the work of an absolute 4uckwit that simply hadn't considered the ramifications, rather than those of someone hoping to score backing on the back of the events.
it's be nice to think it was a slip-up - but it's harder to do in the face of the constant barrage of rhetoric that Osborne has been coming out with about the feckless benefit claimants vs the hard-working family.... he constantly sets up this false distinction... it is quite hard not to imagine it is part of a deliberate strategy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You'd be saying the same of Ed Balls then?
In the same context of course. Like Bish says its not like a bolt out of the blue, it very much fits with the message they are trying to sell to the public over a period of time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 pm

lest anyone think i was misquoting him, these were Dave's actual words...
The fact is, as I wrote in a newspaper article this morning, North Korea does now have missile technology that is able to reach, as they put it, the whole of the United States and if they’re able to reach the whole of the United States they can reach Europe too. They can reach us too, so that is a real concern,"
the experts seem to disagree...

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-ko ... ats-2013-4

is this any different to Blair's 45min claim - naked scaremongering to drive through (in this instance) Trident....

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm

thebish wrote:lest anyone think i was misquoting him, these were Dave's actual words...
The fact is, as I wrote in a newspaper article this morning, North Korea does now have missile technology that is able to reach, as they put it, the whole of the United States and if they’re able to reach the whole of the United States they can reach Europe too. They can reach us too, so that is a real concern,"

is this any different to Blair's 45min claim - naked scaremongering to drive through (in this instance) Trident....
North Korea does not have a long enough dong to get anywhere near the UK. I cannot imagine how Cameron would expect to be taken seriously on this.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:lest anyone think i was misquoting him, these were Dave's actual words...

North Korea does not have a long enough dong to get anywhere near the UK. I cannot imagine how Cameron would expect to be taken seriously on this.
They'd be lucky to reach Alaska.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:50 pm

seanworth wrote:
They'd be lucky to reach Alaska.
ask who??

(I'll get my coat)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... ly-1815990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant piece this.......

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-wo ... ly-1815990

Brilliant piece this.......
Yeah right! The musing of a jumped up leftie with a idealistic view of the world that means feck all in practise.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Brilliant piece this.......
Soon lost interest in the article, but this caught my eye.
Daily Record wrote:Doctors say looking at busty women for 10 minutes a day is good for your health
Vindication at last!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am

Anything interesting happened lately? :shock:

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm

In a quite astonishing example of my Britishness, I saw that the funeral is to be held next Wednesday. Along the way it passes where I work.

First thought? "Fecking hell, it's going to be a nightmare getting in/out of work that day..."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

mrkint wrote:In a quite astonishing example of my Britishness, I saw that the funeral is to be held next Wednesday. Along the way it passes where I work.

First thought? "Fecking hell, it's going to be a nightmare getting in/out of work that day..."
I sincerely hope that some minor inconveniences to traffic is all it turns out to be. Somehow, I doubt it .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Looney Lefty rag, the FT, makes up a load of lies and bollox about the govt's austerity plan hitting the north disproportionately... :roll:

http://ig.ft.com/austerity-audit/

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 am

thebish wrote:Looney Lefty rag, the FT, makes up a load of lies and bollox about the govt's austerity plan hitting the north disproportionately... :roll:

I never knew the Financial Times was a leninist-marxist publication, but I do now.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:Looney Lefty rag, the FT, makes up a load of lies and bollox about the govt's austerity plan hitting the north disproportionately... :roll:

I never knew the Financial Times was a leninist-marxist publication, but I do now.
:D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 pm

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/may-resists-i ... umber-call" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another European fudge!