General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm
The youth wouldn't be seen dead on Facebook. Facebook is for old farts
Excuse me... You won't find me on Facebook. And I think you can squarely plonk me in the "old fart" category.
Old fart territory is a wide category. I'm comfortably within it despite being considerably more youthful than you :P
I guess that makes Tango, Dujon and myself ancient farts.
We are living proof that dinosaurs still roam the earth Monty, although a dying breed.

Imagine all the wonderful things we used to want for Christmas: Model ships, Model guns, Football boots, cricket bats, bikes, roller skates, Mecano sets, jigsaw puzzles, watches, fountain pens etc, etc, and all the games we played with them. Now kids want a new mobile phone, an X Box and computer war games, nose piercings, tattoos, lock themselves in bedrooms and hybernate under duvets. Drugs used to be something your grandma got from the chemist, now they're the quickest way to screw you life up. I've loved my life, I just hope my kids and grandkids can do the same....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 pm

We are living proof that dinosaurs still roam the earth Monty, although a dying breed.

Imagine all the wonderful things we used to want for Christmas: Model ships, Model guns, Football boots, cricket bats, bikes, roller skates, Mecano sets, jigsaw puzzles, watches, fountain pens etc, etc, and all the games we played with them. Now kids want a new mobile phone, an X Box and computer war games, nose piercings, tattoos, lock themselves in bedrooms and hybernate under duvets. Drugs used to be something your grandma got from the chemist, now they're the quickest way to screw you life up. I've loved my life, I just hope my kids and grandkids can do the same....
I had model airplanes not ships - spitfire, hurricane, mosquito and a messerschmitt 109 (Jerry always lost the dogfights). The jigsaws (no new ones, just grandma's) were quarter inch ply, not cardboard - I still have some of those. I loved the mecano set and also had a Hornby train set. Privileged me! However, I think the dinky toys were my favourite.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Identical twins sought for numerous crimes...
Justin Adamson and Tremayne Mingham, seperated at birth.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... y-27-2019/
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:05 pm

One hell of a delivery since they are 14 years apart in age.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:05 pm

One hell of a delivery since they are 14 years apart in age.
I reckon Fraud and forgery of birth documents should be added to the list...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Been listening to folk pontificating for a few years as to why the yoof are becoming feral.

Among the myriad of ideas put forward and excuses made, I've yet to hear anyone state the obvious. As liberal values are driven into law, kids grow up devoid of respect. It's a shame. I like a liberal value myself but as sure as night follows day, if you take away discipline, chaos ensues.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 am

That's not, strictly speaking, correct, Enoch. It may, however, be more prevalent than in the years when I was a teenager (late '50s early 60s). At that time England had the "Teddy Boys" versus the "Mods", over here we had the "Bodgies" and their girlfriends "The Widgies" versus the rest of the world. Some reports in those days did employ hyperbole in their text, but it wasn't far from being wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodgies_and_widgies

Bodgies and Widgies were far from peaceful and certainly didn't wear flowers in their hair, unless Californian Poppy grease qualifies.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 am

Dujon wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 am
That's not, strictly speaking, correct, Enoch. It may, however, be more prevalent than in the years when I was a teenager (late '50s early 60s). At that time England had the "Teddy Boys" versus the "Mods", over here we had the "Bodgies" and their girlfriends "The Widgies" versus the rest of the world. Some reports in those days did employ hyperbole in their text, but it wasn't far from being wrong.

Bodgies and Widgies were far from peaceful and certainly didn't wear flowers in their hair, unless Californian Poppy grease qualifies.
If I recall correctly, Dujon, Teddy Boys predated Mods. It was the Mods (on their scooters) versus the Rockers (on their motor bikes) in the 1960s. In the 1950s Teddy boys wore Edwardian clothing (hence the name) and often carried flick knives. However, I suppose all post-war rebel youths were descended from them in a way.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am

I don't know how old you chaps think I am but I remember well enough days of yore.

I also remember being comfortable drinking in the 'Tele-T-Bar' without feeling threatened, nor being molested, by the rockers that made it their home; whilst still being comfortable frequenting 'The Vic', local mustering point for the mod fraternity. We're all tribal to some degree, being a member of this forum bears testament to that. It's a step change going from tribal to feral.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:25 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 am
Dujon wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 am

If I recall correctly, Dujon, Teddy Boys predated Mods. It was the Mods (on their scooters) versus the Rockers (on their motor bikes) in the 1960s. In the 1950s Teddy boys wore Edwardian clothing (hence the name) and often carried flick knives. However, I suppose all post-war rebel youths were descended from them in a way.
Pretty much right Monty. Up to the fifties was recovering from the war. Kids got a taste of freedom and proceeded to tear the arxs out of it all ever since. Teddy boys were our youth period and straight razors, studded belts and even (as I knew for a fact one Bolton supporter did) sewing razor blades in the peak of caps. In fairness, it was the big cities that saw the extremes and you only really found trouble if you went looking for it. The rest of youth were too busy enjoying themselves with fashion, pop, rock and roll and dancing and there was always a skirmish or two to be had, but in the minority. There was no cheap supermarket beer back then and landlords were pretty careful at serving underage drinkers. Coffee bars were very much the fashion in the early sixties before the hippies arrived. It was a pretty wonderful time to be young....wish I could do it all again... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am
I don't know how old you chaps think I am but I remember well enough days of yore.

I also remember being comfortable drinking in the 'Tele-T-Bar' without feeling threatened, nor being molested, by the rockers that made it their home; whilst still being comfortable frequenting 'The Vic', local mustering point for the mod fraternity. We're all tribal to some degree, being a member of this forum bears testament to that. It's a step change going from tribal to feral.
I concur.

Here is the conclusion from an article today. (It matters not what the subject was really):

"Paul Johnstone, a retired detective chief superintendent who carried out a review into the 25 agencies who had involvement with the family in the years before the deaths, said that what happened could not have been foreseen by "friends, family or professionals"...

I'll let you re-read that...

Strangely enough, not being a friend or a family member, and definitely being an amateur; but being oldish and having lived a bit, I can quite clearly state that any fxckers who have FAMILY INVOLVEMENT WITH 25 AGENCIES IS TROUBLE WITH A CAPITAL T.

Why the fxck do modern liberals not get this???
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Here's a useless piece of information.

Born of idle curiosity, I was researching how likely one is to be murdered in the UK as opposed to the rest of the planet. I found a list published by UNODC, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. It lists 230 sovereign nations against their murder rate/100,000 of population.

I was a tad surprised to see that 12 out of the 28 highest murder rates were from Caribbean nations. No wonder the TV series 'Death in Paradise' was set on the fictional island of ' Saint Marie' as opposed to 'Midsomer'.

The UK came in at No 57, with 1.2 murders/100,000 in 2016. There were 10 places with zero recorded murders, 1 of which was the Channel Islands. No wonder Jim Bergerac got the axe!

The worst 3 were Venezuela, Honduras and El Salvador, the latter boasting an eye watering 82.8/100,000.

I wonder what the rationale is for so much violence in and around the sun kissed Caribbean.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Born of idle curiosity, I was researching how likely one is to be murdered in the UK as opposed to the rest of the planet. I found a list published by UNODC, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. It lists 230 sovereign nations against their murder rate/100,000 of population.

I was a tad surprised to see that 12 out of the 28 highest murder rates were from Caribbean nations. No wonder the TV series 'Death in Paradise' was set on the fictional island of ' Saint Marie' as opposed to 'Midsomer'.

The UK came in at No 57, with 1.2 murders/100,000 in 2016. There were 10 places with zero recorded murders, 1 of which was the Channel Islands. No wonder Jim Bergerac got the axe!

The worst 3 were Venezuela, Honduras and El Salvador, the latter boasting an eye watering 82.8/100,000.

I wonder what the rationale is for so much violence in and around the sun kissed Caribbean.
It lies between the economic powerhouses of two of the G20 with two of the top top five national area and thirteen of the poorest countries on the planet with seven of the most useful natural resources. They are Transport Economies.

PS If you look further you will find that Mexico actually hits top spot for murders per head of population but it cannot be recorded due to the number of census takers murdered per head of population. There are more than forty municipalities in Mexico with no law enforcement due to all the cops having been murdered.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Enoch wrote:

It lies between the economic powerhouses of two of the G20 with two of the top top five national area and thirteen of the poorest countries on the planet with seven of the most useful natural resources. They are Transport Economies.

PS If you look further you will find that Mexico actually hits top spot for murders per head of population but it cannot be recorded due to the number of census takers murdered per head of population. There are more than forty municipalities in Mexico with no law enforcement due to all the cops having been murdered.

Mexico came in 211th on this list. A mere 19.3/100,000. Possibly all statisticians.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Enoch wrote:

Mexico came in 211th on this list. A mere 19.3/100,000. Possibly all statisticians.
Yep. That's what I mean...
Don't have it to hand, but a US journalist investigated the murder rate in the big town that straddles the Gringo/Amigo border and discovered some jarring figure like 10 v 200/100000 depending on whether gringo or amigo, but recorded figures were 10 v 1/100000
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:48 pm

And another way of looking at it, without getting too pedantic, is to map all the trouble spots on the world in red and all the rich western countries in green and all the poor but naturally rich countries in yellow. It is no coincidence that the green and yellow are consistently seperated by red.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:48 pm
And another way of looking at it, without getting too pedantic, is to map all the trouble spots on the world in red and all the rich western countries in green and all the poor but naturally rich countries in yellow. It is no coincidence that the green and yellow are consistently seperated by red.
We all need red lines!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:08 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:48 pm
We all need red lines!
Some more than others.

Personally, I'm a classicist: I require lines drawn in the sand, if you all don't fxckin' mind...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 am

Enoch wrote:

England and Wales are higher than the UK rate, while Scotland is lower. Canada has the lowest rate in the Americas (North and South), but it is still a bit high compared to Scotland and the UK. However, the UK has a higher suicide rate, which bears thinking about. I mean if you lived in Scotland....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:00 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 am
Enoch wrote:

England and Wales are higher than the UK rate, while Scotland is lower. Canada has the lowest rate in the Americas (North and South), but it is still a bit high compared to Scotland and the UK. However, the UK has a higher suicide rate, which bears thinking about. I mean if you lived in Scotland....
From memory, Monty, I'm pretty sure the the numbers for the UK split were within 1 or 2 percent of each other. As for suicide rates, I could imagine them being a touch elevated around Horwich at the moment!