creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:29 pm
Here's the gamble then, our latest number 3.
He’s played number 3 before.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:30 pm
That was a strange ultraedge..clear spike, but the ball looked past the edge when it popped up...
I thought that. For me I’m not sure you could or should overturn the onfield with that evidence. But they did.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:32 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Not very often in tests. Three/four times? I think state of the match is more important than the "number" you'd think this was ok maybe after 18 overs. Different than coming in second ball..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Not very often in tests. Three/four times? I think state of the match is more important than the "number" you'd think this was ok maybe after 18 overs. Different than coming in second ball..
Of available options and given root does not want to bat 3 isn’t stokes technically our best batsman? Most defensive ability at least.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Of available options and given root does not want to bat 3 isn’t stokes technically our best batsman? Most defensive ability at least.
Yeah as a bit of a fait accompli, not knocking it...but he's still not batted much there in tests (had a peek, it's once before today). Just saying 18 over old ball, probably helps the case, rather than one that's three balls old...

Root doesn't want to, we probably want to leave young Brook settled, so the only other possible would have been Bairstow and I'm not sure that'd be a great idea either!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:05 pm

Terrific start. Saying nothing more now, just watching with bated breath. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:06 pm

Should be less important than OT test, but 5 overs short that session. Commentary suggested a whole session was lost in the first three days at OT, the other day...that may well have sealed the match...

As TD said. Great start.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:06 pm
Should be less important than OT test, but 5 overs short that session. Commentary suggested a whole session was lost in the first three days at OT, the other day...that may well have sealed the match...

As TD said. Great start.
Potential for lots of rain tomorrow though, so may matter.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:09 pm

Joe looking a bit rattled here

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I can see the logic, my only point is it's a gamble given how well he bats with the tail. Agree with worthy, sure he's been in earlier in an innings batting 5, so bodes well. I shan't give a view on how it's going right now for obvious reasons :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:00 pm

Gotta love the BBC - England approaching a lead of 300 with 6 wickets in hand and they are saying ‘Englands lead nowhere near enough’. In reverse situation they’d proclaim Australia already have more than enough.

Most negative commentary team imaginable. Then they have the unbearable Aussies in there too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:12 pm

Well on any given day, it might not be. For sure would prefer 360...Two days left, they could bat them all for the draw at 2 an over :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:52 pm

Good days play. Lots of commentary on Sky, too, around us wanting 400 lead and we're at 360 with nowt much left. The track still looked pretty non-violent with a little in it if you really bent your back (thought Cummins bowled pretty well). Bit of spin. Should be enough, but we know the Aussies can bat a long time, there's a long time left and they need to score fewer in their second innings than we had to. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:52 pm
Good days play. Lots of commentary on Sky, too, around us wanting 400 lead and we're at 360 with nowt much left. The track still looked pretty non-violent with a little in it if you really bent your back (thought Cummins bowled pretty well). Bit of spin. Should be enough, but we know the Aussies can bat a long time, there's a long time left and they need to score fewer in their second innings than we had to. :-)
If you said to England you will set Australia 350 to win they’d have bitten your hand off at the start of the day.

Lead is 377. That’s way beyond any realistic expectation.

Pitch does look decent to bat on but then it is turning. If Moeen can bowl and Root bowls a few I think we may well have quite enough.

Either way if Australia get near this then you have to say well done and just move on. By a long way this would he the highest 4th innings chase to win at the Oval.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:14 pm

Broads retirement has hit me like a truck. A truly special player who feels like they’ve gone well before they needed to. I honestly thought he might have gone past Jimmy’s total given he has 4 years on him and is still bowling well.

Very surprising and also very sad.

Was listening to cook explain the upcoming schedule just doesn’t suit Broad with India and Sri Lanka away (he doesn’t like being away too much apparently especially I guess on pitches that do nowt for him) and then West Indies at home a fairly ‘nothing’ series these days I guess given the drop off in WI cricket.

I get it. But for me he could have made the next ashes. It sounds like it was just too far away for him to wait and maybe he’s worried that by then he wouldn’t have a decision to make.

Jimmy seems to want to continue but you have to wonder whether he will see next summer here or not. I can’t see him bowling beyond the windies here so at best we probably have another year.

What a pair they’ve been.

Jimmy for me has to go down as the greatest bowler of his type without question. Broady not far behind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:18 pm

Stuart Broad retiring???

:shock: That's a shock, although an era seems to be ending in a few areas. He'll surely be missed, although not necessarily by Oz. Best of luck Stu and thanks for a whole host of memories. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:26 pm

Yeah, England realistically could've been 80-100 less in the first, if Aussies held their catches, they looked safer getting to their 12 run lead, so you just wonder which end of the match had most demons in the pitch. The 2 an over draw doesn't seem very likely (weather permitting - the commentators sounded pretty positive), so hopefully set up for a good day tomorrow. Smith likes batting at the Oval as his "nearly 100" average attests. Bowling they looked to be toiling at times. Not sure I'd be overly surprised if they got 300...

On Broady, Butcher hinted that someone big was calling it on commentary...If I went out on a good series v the Aussies at 37, I'd be pretty happy with my lot...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:14 pm
Broads retirement has hit me like a truck. A truly special player who feels like they’ve gone well before they needed to. I honestly thought he might have gone past Jimmy’s total given he has 4 years on him and is still bowling well.

Was listening to cook explain the upcoming schedule just doesn’t suit Broad with India and Sri Lanka away (he doesn’t like being away too much apparently especially I guess on pitches that do nowt for him) and then West Indies at home a fairly ‘nothing’ series these days I guess given the drop off in WI cricket.

I get it. But for me he could have made the next ashes. It sounds like it was just too far away for him to wait and maybe he’s worried that by then he wouldn’t have a decision to make.

Jimmy seems to want to continue but you have to wonder whether he will see next summer here or not. I can’t see him bowling beyond the windies here so at best we probably have another year.

Jimmy for me has to go down as the greatest bowler of his type without question. Broady not far behind.
I do wonder with it being Broady, whether this might prompt a Jimmy rethink. Up until today the likeliest person to catch him would've been Broad...the next nearest ain't that near...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:14 pm

I do wonder with it being Broady, whether this might prompt a Jimmy rethink. Up until today the likeliest person to catch him would've been Broad...the next nearest ain't that near...
I genuinely think Jimmy just wants to play. I don’t think he cares at all about the records or being caught.

I also think now the words of Holding ring true ‘no fast bowler will ever get near Jimmys total’….I think he’s probably right.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:07 pm

fecking hell Broady. Barely considered he might stop before Jimmy.

Jimmy said just this week he's not going anywhere. Think he is still loving it and lives less for the red hot ashes fire than Broady.

Agree records aren't the main thing but you'd think 700 is in his mind. Broadys kid is a lot younger than Jimmy s two as well.

What a player.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.