creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:07 pm
fecking hell Broady. Barely considered he might stop before Jimmy.

Jimmy said just this week he's not going anywhere. Think he is still loving it and lives less for the red hot ashes fire than Broady.

Agree records aren't the main thing but you'd think 700 is in his mind. Broadys kid is a lot younger than Jimmy s two as well.

What a player.
Yeah I agree with that. Jimmy enjoys playing and I don’t think to him it matters that much who the opponent is. But Broad needs to be fired up to be at his best.

Also yeah Jimmy has been juggling cricket and his family a while whereas Broady has just started a family so maybe that has a big impact.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:27 am

I met up with a few ex-clubmates this evening. (Give or take 10 at various points - a couple with County or county II's caps) None of them would've had Jimmy in past test 2. A number wouldn't have picked him from the start...

He's always been a bit of an enigma. Heart wants to keep him, but both Tongue and Robinson gave more wickets, even if he's been a bit unlucky...

I think, there's the fairly obvious "most wickets" tag and Jimmy's been exceptional. Better than McGrath? Who I dislike with some passion....probably not. Lower strike rate is McGrath's and there are some great bowlers also with lower strike rates, but fewer wickets (whilst still being in the 300+ club...
Last edited by Worthy4England on Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:52 am

Always the way with older players too that as soon as you have a dip in form it's not just "is he not playing well?" but "is he done?" (Not that you're saying that, worthy)

Certainly don't think he could have argued with being "rested" after two, and then he didn't bowl particularly well at Old Trafford. Thought he was much better first innings here though and probably deserved more than the got.

He had almost no cricket coming into it either after an injury.

So don't disagree in terms of selection for this game! But also wouldn't surprise me if he came back flying again.

The other thing with bearing in mind is that even when he's not taking wickets his economy is ridiculous, and he's allowed a lot of attacking at the other end.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:52 am
Always the way with older players too that as soon as you have a dip in form it's not just "is he not playing well?" but "is he done?" (Not that you're saying that, worthy)

Certainly don't think he could have argued with being "rested" after two, and then he didn't bowl particularly well at Old Trafford. Thought he was much better first innings here though and probably deserved more than the got.

He had almost no cricket coming into it either after an injury.

So don't disagree in terms of selection for this game! But also wouldn't surprise me if he came back flying again.

The other thing with bearing in mind is that even when he's not taking wickets his economy is ridiculous, and he's allowed a lot of attacking at the other end.
Yeah' I'm not writing him off at all, Pru. He's worth his squad place for me, currently. I think he's maybe trying to hack it longer than Cec Pepper. He certainly helps on pressure. He's one of the best ever, without a doubt and I wouldn't bet large on him being done...just maybe wouldn't have picked him this game (his "worst" English venue) and outside sentimentality, I wouldn't have picked him at OT either.

If you were sat in the squad and called Robinson or Tongue (10 wickets in series and 6 in one match), you'd probably wonder what you had to do...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:02 am

Bit of dust in my eye as Broady walked out. Mind, if I was an Aussie, he's getting one at the windpipe first go!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:07 am

I'm emotional here too. Lovely moment with Jimmy, and I cheered that 6 to the rafters!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:13 am

Oh well, nice little interlude. * For Broady, but not sure why they didn't really that single :lol:

You'd have taken setting them 384 (well 383 really) at the toss. If they get them, fair enough.

Broad to Warner, here we go.

Also would be classic for Woaksey to get a 5fer here :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:39 am

Hadn't realised his 6 was the last ball he faced. Great one for the bar (not that there aren't plenty for the bar)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:57 am

Why on earth is a "can just about trot" Mo out on the fence?! Twice they've ran three of what should have been 2s and maybe 1, and nearly got 4.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:57 am
Why on earth is a "can just about trot" Mo out on the fence?! Twice they've ran three of what should have been 2s and maybe 1, and nearly got 4.
Yeah, usually that's only for offences like packing the skippers batting gloves with Johnny's or putting fiery jack in their box...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:15 pm

Nice to see one turn from Mo, but it's looking pretty non threatening to bat on...going to have to work hard

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:53 pm

Our thinking shouldn't be worrying about runs, they're still a long way off. Get the wickets, the totals matter not.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:12 pm

Agree, TD. I doubt they're too worried about runs either, They have more than enough time, weather permitting. At current run rate, they'd be done nearer to lunch than tea, tomorrow.

Slight problem is, not really looked like bagging a hateful this morning...sure some have gone past the edge and Mo got one to turn a lot, but the track doesn't have wicket parade writ large at the moment, which is why some folks were looking for 400+ lead, yesterday..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:23 pm

Looking very docile at the moment. A few bits of interest but need a wicket.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:23 pm

I'm looking at the fact that the whole tests have been pretty much even steven. Yesterday Oz were almost at despair point and suddenly it changed. I see the same today/tomorrow? Be patient and one of them will slip up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:23 pm
I'm looking at the fact that the whole tests have been pretty much even steven. Yesterday Oz were almost at despair point and suddenly it changed. I see the same today/tomorrow? Be patient and one of them will slip up.
Yeah, watched all yesterday. Batting looked pretty easy, playing intelligently.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:28 pm

Well, it's sunny at OT....maybe they just head up here and try finish that one, tomorrow. :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:25 pm

The rain's really screwed things up in favour of Oz escaping defeat now. The need 249 with a full side and the momentum gone and a night's rest.. Que Sera again now,

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:42 pm

I think the Aussies will be a bit pi$$Eed at it raining on 135-0 and not looking in much bother, with 120 overs to get another 259...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:42 pm
I think the Aussies will be a bit pi$$Eed at it raining on 135-0 and not looking in much bother, with 120 overs to get another 259...
They most likely will, but O.T.will conveniently be soon forgotten if they get a draw that counts as a win. Dry day and a bit of luck is needed now. Keep the faith.